YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

Haha, I heard Chief were a bit self-indulgent. Although he did a rant before one of the songs that was apparently fabulous about racism and shit. They couldn't be as bad as Ignite though, who just stopped their gig halfway through in London and brought on some cunt to talk about murdering the planet.

The group I was with were sat up the top (at the back) when I got there, which was basically bang on 9. Twats, who sits around at gigs? Although, to be fair, I stayed seated during Pure Graft. I was wearing a brown hoody with "68" on the front. I was pretty sure if was you, and was going to just 'bump into you' afterwards, but I got distracted by shaking Jason's hand. :shifty:

Didn't get as far forward for SO as I'd have liked, but there wasn't much going on, so I was happy standing back and singing. As for other people around, the "one potato, two potato" man was my favourite. The 30/40 year old bloke in front of Rob, one foot on the stage, banging his first "one potato, two potato" style while headbanging.

Also, the photographer guy gigging about was quite cool. First off he was in a Gaslight Anthem t-shirt. Secondly, after Pure Graft he was like "I had no time to get photos" I was like "It's okay, they were shit"...I think he agreed (or humoured me :shifty:).

Really sad thing is. Pure Graft are probably the best we've got to offer as an area at the minute (sans Former Cell Mates). I actually quite enjoyed their last song, the chords/riffs sounded good...then the singing started and christ, I wanted them to die.

You get a good pint in Trillians. Was a bit on the steep side, but not that bad in comparison to The Academy and stuff, £2.50 I think, hopefully that's just because it's gig night. As back in the day, it used to be under £2.

Hell Is For Heroes are playing farewell shows. :(

7th Nov - Nottingham Rock City

15th Nov - Manchester Roadhouse

27th Nov - London Bush Hall

29th Nov- Bristol Thekla

6th Dec - Birmingham Eddies

12th Dec - Glasgow Barfly

I want to go to one. Might ask my mate who's proper into them if he fancies a roadtrip.

Edited by YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, they're splitting again? They were returning from hiatus last I heard.

Hopefully I can convince my mate to go see them in Brum, Eddies No.8's a dingy shithole, but all the best venues are. Or Bristol on the boat again!

Fucking right...THE BOAT!!! I want to road trip.

They went on hiatus last year after their album. They were apparently in the studio this year, but turns out it was the singer (I think) with a new band. Basically, they're now calling it wraps (breaking up instead of a hiatus) and these are the last shows.

Okay, it's totally all about "Totally Michael" ( http://www.myspace.com/totallymichael ), it sounds like Blink 182 recorded on a battered old keyboard from the 1980's.

I finally heard "Human" by The Killers today. I'd seen it described as "New Order meets Springsteen" which is basically bang on in my eyes. It's really quite good. I still think "Spaceman" should have been the lead single though, MASSIVE chorus. While I like "Human", "Are we human, or are we dancer" is the shittest 'focal point'/major lyric in a song for quite some time.

Edited by YI

Spaceman's wank as well.

Also, please tell me you have a download for that Totally Michael.

Private torrent...keep an eye on dl. :)

Also, I feel fucking retarded that I only just 'got' the name to "Wooderson" by The Gaslight Anthem...I fucking love "Dazed & Confused" so the fact I never 'got it' before the other day pisses me off.

Edited by YI

Fit?

Also heard the 3 new Bloc Party tunes from the CD version of "Intimacy". Not a fan. It fucks with the 'flow'. "Ion Square" as the ender was awesome, now there's two more tracks afterwards.

Anyway, as far as stand alone tracks. "Talons" is pretty awesome. "Letter To My Son" is great, and is more 'old school' Bloc Party style. But just feels like it's missing something. "Your Visits Are Getting Shorter" is SO FUCKING BAD! Not "Biko" bad, but fucking bad. It sounds like a shitty remix.

On my way to uni this morning I listened to the self-titled "Electric President" album. So fucking good. I'd rank it far superior to The Postal Service album.

Edited by YI

Got the Producers With Computers album through the post this morning. Listening to it now, on track 13 of 21 and OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! This album is amazing!! I'll admit I've got a bit of a musical obsession with PWC since I saw 'em at King Tut's back in April but so far this entire album has been excellent. No weak track so far.

EDIT: Right listened to the album in full and it's definitely in my top 10 releases of this year so far. Track 17, 'Colon Bracket' samples 'The Scientist' by Coldplay and is immense. Well worth the £6!

Edited by ADGray

So this week is going to be awesome for concerts for me. I'm going to see Minus The Bear tomorrow (has anybody seen them live? I haven't heard anything about their live performances), The Never on Thursday, then Nine Inch Nails next Monday.

Then in December I have Manchester Orchestra/Kevin Devine.

this morning I listened to the self-titled "Electric President" album. So fucking good. I'd rank it far superior to The Postal Service album.

HELL TO THE FUCKING YES!

I love Electric President.

Yeah, it's been a while since I heard the debut album, I forgot just how amazing it was. I was in the library and suddenly the 'loud guitar' bits in "Farewell" hit, scared the ever loving shit out of me.

The second album is pretty solid, "Ether", "Robophobia", "We Will Walk Through Walls", "Lullaby" and "All The Bones" are amazing. But it's not a patch overall, on the debut.

Ben Cooper (the main guy) is currently recording the 3rd Radical Face album, which should be awesome. And is working on a new project, "Clones" with RickoLus...can't wait.

Edited by YI

I'm going to see Minus The Bear tomorrow

Awesome, seen them a few times always worth a bit of dance then a bbit of shoe-gaze, normally very tight and very good...

Also, dead jealous you are seeing NIN, fucking love them live