Favourite Tribute Songs

Farmer Reil

Yeah, I felt the need to create a topic, and since I was listening to one of my favourite songs ever at the time, I thought it should be this particular thread.

Now, I was never a huge Pantera fan. Largely because until shamefully recently I had no idea who they were other than via RVD's entrance music.

But then I heard 'Bleeding Strings' by Kiuas (don't bother Youtubing it, the only version I can find is a live version, and the less said about Kiuas live the better. It's on the 'Reformation' album if you 'happen to have it lying around'). It's just fucking amazing, and I later found out it was about Dimebag. And yeah.. that got me into Pantera. Trustory.

So... what about yours? By tribute songs, btw, in this context I mean songs written about other people, not covers of their songs.

Edited by Farmer Reil

"I'Da Called You Woody Joe" by The Gaslight Anthem (on Joe Strummer)

"Swan Dive" by Strung Out (on Jim Cherry)

"The Ghost Of Jim Cherry" by Hell Yeah! Fuck Yeah! (on Jim Cherry)

Bah...my mind's gone blank. There's sodding loads...grrrrrrrrrr.

Song to Woody by Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan's tribute to his hero Woody Guthrie)

REM's Man on the Moon (Andy Kaufman) is a classic.

Ingrid Bergman by Billy Bragg and Wilco

Katie Bell Blue by Townes Van Zandt (A heartbreaking song from a father to his daughter knowing that his rough lifestyle will probably kill him before she grows up.)

Bruce Springsteen's Bobby Jean (a farewell to guitarist and best friend Miami Steve or Sopranos fame) and to a lesser extent Terry's Song from his new album (dedicated to the recently deceased Terry McGovern) deserve mention.

Shine On You Crazy Diamonds by Pink Floyd (Shockingly few people know that this is dedicated to their original lead singer Syd Barrett whose LSD habits lead to a mental breakdown.)