The Anime Thread

Ruki

Gurren Lagann is GAINAX. Code Geass is some bizarre CLAMP/Gundam/Deathnote mixture thing. They're not really directly comparable in too many ways. >_>

I dread the Adult Swim dub, of course. As is natural.

Bandai* dub.

As much as I hate [as] for some of the things they've done and their inane logic, I still feel the need to defend them for what good they have done.

That said as long as the dub isn't terrible I'll give it a whirl. Then again, since I care fuck all about the "subbing vs. dubbing" stuff my "not terrible" is probably your "HORRIBLE!" >_>

Remember this rather maniacal little cherub that I used to have in my signature?

No, no I don't. I've had signatures turned off for.. going on four years now. :shifty:

I (finally) just got around to watching the first episode of Excel Saga and my mind is suitably blown. How.. I want to say "utterly, utterly bizarre" but I feel like that doesn't even in come close to describing it. It's.. unique. :shifty:

"This was an accident beyond human control!"

MANSLAUGHTER DUE TO PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE.

If you don't want to kill Excel at this stage, that's a good sign. She's far, far worse and more manic in the first episode than she is in any other, and I've found that tends to put people off.

Continue watching, young Cloudy!

It's true, the first episode was really out there. But very late in the series....

After Excel loses her memory, and Across takes over the area.

...it gets really really good. I loved the last few episodes. But I still can't see Menchi being a dog, still looks more like a cat.

I like how the production staff shows up every once and a while.. "It's episode 22 and we still don't have an overarching plotline?! Fuck! We better get to work on that!"

The civil defense force(or whatever they were called) were awesome too.

And Nabeshin is awesome.

And Space Butler needed more screen time.

It's true, the first episode was really out there. But very late in the series....

After Excel loses her memory, and Across takes over the area.

...it gets really really good. I loved the last few episodes. But I still can't see Menchi being a dog, still looks more like a cat.

Yeah, I didn't get that. Excel kept calling him "dog" and everything and I was thinking "The fuck? There's no way. That's a cat!"

I can't really comment on Poemi not having seen it, but I've seen FLCL dozens of times and I gotta say the first few times it's pretty interesting/amusing/good, but after that it started to wear thin.

Poemi were better.

In what possible sense? The guys who made Excel Saga said "Hey, let's make a 2 episode spin-off where we take the kind of crazy shit we used in Excel Saga ep 26 (which is the really crappy, tacky, obscene-for-the-sake-of-obscene kind of crazy shit rather than the funny stuff), amp up the ecchi content ten thousand percent and throw in such delights as pre-teen lesbians and an alien who idolises the Japanese creation of tentacle rape." There is only a total of thirty seconds within those entire 50 minutes that make worthwhile viewing, those being the sharpshooter on the staircase near the start (because I'm a wrestling mark), and Nabeshin's mark-out moment return as GREAT DIRECTOR WATANABE right at the very end. You can write the rest off as bullshit because that's what it is, and frankly episode 26 of Excel Saga should never have happened, let alone the bilge that Puni Puni Poemi came up with.

[/sanctimonious mode] :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Looking for some help please.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and she wants to get some anime DVD's. She tells me she's seen the following:

Cowboy Bebop

Gunslinger Girl

Samurai Champloo

Last Exile

Excel Saga

Avatar (Even though it's American.)

And a few more which she can't really remember.

So, if you would be kind enough, could you guys recommend me some stuff that she'd like? Preferably nothing with a ridiculous amount of episodes.

Gurren Lagann dub coming out this month, maybe pick that up... if the dub winds up shit at least (I hope) they should have the original Japanese version with subs.

If she doesn't mind, or prefers, having the Jap version with English subs, the Japanese DVDs have been out for awhile and you can order those.

Norris Scott, ladies and gentlemen, forever pushing Gurren Lagann into people's hands and yelling at them to watch it >_>

Gurren Lagann dub coming out this month, maybe pick that up... if the dub winds up shit at least (I hope) they should have the original Japanese version with subs.

If she doesn't mind, or prefers, having the Jap version with English subs, the Japanese DVDs have been out for awhile and you can order those.

Norris Scott, ladies and gentlemen, forever pushing Gurren Lagann into people's hands and yelling at them to watch it >_>