The Anime Thread

Ruki

There are people who don't like Gohan? The only complaint I've heard is people disliking that he went from strongest there is to second place twice. Once after Goku reaches SSJ3 and again after Goku and Vegeta fuse. I'm of the mind the Buu arc should have ended with Gohan killing Buu. They could have still done all the fusion stuff and then had Gohan resume his fight in the Kai's world. Instead it went to Goku.

Gohan arriving to fight Buu is one of my favorite scenes

In fact that fight might be my favorite fight.

Edited by Kirkland
  • Like 1

Rereading that post made me think more about Gohan and Goku. Gohan is a better version of Goku. He takes the good stuff from Goku like his good nature and strength and combines it with intelligence and a sense of responsibility. The English dub makes Goku out to be more of a straight up hero than he's actually supposed to be. Goku's not supposed to be bad or anything but he's a manchild driven by his love of fighting. He puts a good fight before pretty much everything else. The biggest example is when he spared Vegeta after their first fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2qLlGqIAI

He didn't spare him because it was right, he did it because he wanted to fight him again. He let a guy who tried to blow up the planet in their fight go free because he wanted to fight him again one day. Vegeta tried to kill all of Goku's family and friends and Goku is still like "but I wanna fight him!" If I recall correctly he tried to let Freiza go for a similar reason. Gohan isn't like that and that's kinda summed up in the clip I linked in the above post when Gohan says to Buu "Fight you? No, I wanna kill you." When Goku gets he chance to kill Buu he's prattling on about how he hopes Buu can come back andthey can fight again. Goku is about the fight first then stopping the bad guy. Gohan is just about stopping the badguy.

Edited by Kirkland
  • Like 1

They go into detail on that a few times, basically explaining that Goku's Saiyan blood makes him want to fight better and better opponents, though it's not just that, he is also good natured (else he could just have been Vegeta). It comes through with Cell too - he could have killed everyone, but instead he gave them time to prepare for the Cell Games; that's the Saiyan DNA coursing through him.

It's Gohan's human side, as well as his experience following his father's death to Cell, which makes him willing to give foes the chance to give up, but also willing to end things.

I rewatched the ending of Cell Games last night, and it really is a testament to the writing just how many likeable characters they have, even villains, and everybody's motivations are impressively consistent.

• Like 1

BTW the newest DBZ abridged is the best yet. They do Cell better than the actual show did.

Piccolo:How...How many people?!

*Cell glances back for a long second then forward again*

Cell:Enough.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXgHfHxKVM

Sad it's only 25 episodes so far!

Any tips for another Anime? Thinking about Full Metal Alchemist.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. 64 episodes, everything you could want in an anime (action, comedy, drama, etc...)

SOON! It's coming SOON! vs, soon, like, next month.

So I've finished:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. 64 episodes, everything you could want in an anime (action, comedy, drama, etc...)

No harems or fanservice :shifty: .

As far as what you want, Lars, help us out a bit. There's a shit-ton of good shows out there, so just let us know and we'll come up with the ideas.

Sigh...that's three anime in a row that I was excited about/started off awesome, that turned out to be less than great :(

Inou Battle, then Durarara season 2, then The Rolling Girls. All three could have been so much more. At least The Rolling Girls had pretty art and awesome music. Hoping the next one I watch is more enjoyable.

So I've finished:

As far as what you want, Lars, help us out a bit. There's a shit-ton of good shows out there, so just let us know and we'll come up with the ideas.

Something great! I haven't seen that many Anime shows so far I've seen: Dragonball Z, Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden up until episode 180 or something, Death Note and Attack on Titan.

I've heard stuff about One Piece but that one has so many damn episodes. Full Metal Alchemist is suppose to be good, I have heard about Fairy Tale and that's about it.

So, you can throw me into deep because I don't have any clue about Anime.

Rurouni Kenshin!! You may like Bleach or YuYu Hakusho as well.Trigun is another to consider.

• Like 1

So I've finished:

Something great! I haven't seen that many Anime shows so far I've seen: Dragonball Z, Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden up until episode 180 or something, Death Note and Attack on Titan.

I've heard stuff about One Piece but that one has so many damn episodes. Full Metal Alchemist is suppose to be good, I have heard about Fairy Tale and that's about it.

So, you can throw me into deep because I don't have any clue about Anime.

Ok, these are the next anime you are going to watch. The order is yours to choose.

-Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It has to be Brotherhood.

-Cowboy Bebop (26ish episodes I think, but so good)

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Over the top action that is amazing.

-Mirai Nikki. It's like Battle Royale!

-Samurai Champloo. It's like Cowboy Bebop (same creators I believe), but with samurai.

-Kill La Kill. It's like Gurren Lagann, but with girls! Be warned, there is a decent amount of fan service. but one of the best anime I've seen in recent years.

• Like 1