Opera/Musical Theater Music

EddieRuckus

So I just wanted to see if anyone else likes opera music and musical theater music. I'm sure I'll get a lot more responses to liking musical stuff rather than opera, but that's the stuff I like.

At the university I'm at we're doing two one-act Puccini operas: Suor Angelica and Gianni Schicchi. It's a real treat since we're doing it with full costumes, sets, props, and orchestration. Suor is more of a sad heart-wrenching story with gorgeous music, while Schicchi is more light-hearted and a comedy. Comedy and Tragedy in one night? Egads!

I must also mention that Gianni Schicci, while not known as well as some other operas, has one of the most famous opera songs in the world, "O Mio Babbino Caro." You might recognize it from the

Anyway, what are some of your favorite operas/musicals, and if you've been in any, please list them.

Operas/Musicals I've Been In:

Into the Woods-Narrator

Fiddler on the Roof-Tevye

The Music Man-Prof. Harold Hill

The Man of La Mancha-Padre

Gianni Schicchi-Dr. Spinelloccio and Guccio the tailor

Musicals/Operas(So Far) that I like:

Those listed above

Suor Angelica

Don Giovanni

Marriage of Figaro

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut(And yes, it is a musical by most standards)

Nunsense

And there's more, I just can't remember them...

My favorite opera of all time is Don Giovanni. However, I'm growing fonder and fonder of Rossini's L'Italiana in Algieri as well.

As for my favorite singular opera song, it's either the overtura from Don Giovanni or "Der Holle Rache Kocht in Meinem Herzig" from Die Zauberflote.

Oh man, I didn't know that Gianni Schicchi is one of the most difficult operas to perform. One of the co-directors was talking to the director of the MET opera in New York(they're really good friends), and when she said that we were doing Gianni, his immediate reaction was "ooh, that's a tough one."

It was awesome, though I got a fever and didn't rest because we were either in rehearsal or performance. I'll upload some photos perhaps later.

And I was just reminded of the awesomeness of "Nessum Dorma", especially Pavarotti's version. Moving and beautiful!