TNA iMPACT! video game

Jayzon

Ok, so when did smackdown have video cut scenes? A season mode that consisted of more things than constant matches with crappy repetitive cutscenes? Full entrances? Matches like Ultimate X? What they didn't? Oh, carry on then

Dont entirely get your point here. Is your point that since SD1, which was made almost a decade ago, was average/not too good, then it's okay for Impact, a game being made in a day and age where there are huge advancements as far as games go, to be average/not too good as well? If it is, then wow. If not, then please explain the point of all that was.

Thank you, as I am incredibly confused.

I brought up Smackdown 1, so I guess that was a retort to that, and you were referring solely to Smackdown 1. As stated above, the game came out almost a decade, and 2 generations of systems ago. I wasn't trying to say it was better then Impact will be, the point I'm making is, as you said, Smackdown 1, from the news we're receiving had more features then Impact will have. And this was a game that was a made years ago. I shouldn't even be able to make a comparison between the two, but I can, which as someone who has been hoping for a TNA game for a while, sucks.

Full entrances? Guess what, Impact doesn't have them either. Ultimate X? MW above said the different game types TLC, HIAC etc, were pretty much regular matches with added features, like ladders, or a table. The same which can be said for UX, as it seems to just be a match, with some ropes. What makes it worse, is it's the only other available match type. Even if all the match types in Smackdown played the same gameplay wise, at least, Cage/HIAC/Ladder/Table, all appear, to be different. And while you may only like to play 5 minute matches, using 8 moves and 1 weapon, not everyone does. I've personally had 20 Extreme Rules matches, where I just went through the catalog of weapon moves on my opponent.

And I actually don't feel like turning this into a rant, so I'll shorten it up. You continued on the comparison with Smackdown 1, essentially saying it was ok for the TNA game to be as it is, because like Smackdown, it's the first try. Well I'm saying it's not. First try or not, they shouldn't have to deal with the same faults as Smackdown 1 because they have 8 or 9 years of Smackdown to use as a reference, and say "Hey, we shouldn't do that, or we should do this" but it looks like they didn't. There is no excuse for there to only be 1 weapon, in an Xbox 360/PS3 wrestling game.

Full entrances, yes it does have them. Wrestlers walking out of a ramp, with their music, entrance video, pyro, audience etc is a full entrance. It is just cut in half. On smackdown, the entrance was just them walking in front of their video.

Cage/HIAC/Ladder/Table where not in Smackdown 1, which I am talking about. Smackdown 1 had a few matches, which where essentially varieties of the same match. Smackdown 2 was when the game really introduced new things, which will happen in Impact 2.

There is an excuse for them not having everything in, it is there first ever wrestling game. Smackdown was the 3rd THQ wrestling game? Cut them a bit of slack.

And I am only comparing it to smackdown 1 because a few people did it earlier in the thread, so I am giving reason why they have done more with Impact than THQ did with Smackdown 1.

Also I agree that the pre season was probably the best thing about smackdown 1.

Full entrances, yes it does have them. Wrestlers walking out of a ramp, with their music, entrance video, pyro, audience etc is a full entrance. It is just cut in half. On smackdown, the entrance was just them walking in front of their video.

Cage/HIAC/Ladder/Table where not in Smackdown 1, which I am talking about. Smackdown 1 had a few matches, which where essentially varieties of the same match. Smackdown 2 was when the game really introduced new things, which will happen in Impact 2.

There is an excuse for them not having everything in, it is there first ever wrestling game. Smackdown was the 3rd THQ wrestling game? Cut them a bit of slack.

And I am only comparing it to smackdown 1 because a few people did it earlier in the thread, so I am giving reason why they have done more with Impact than THQ did with Smackdown 1.

o_O Um.... Full entrances cut in half... are half entrances... You cant take a full glass of water, pour half of it out, and then go "it's still a full glass of water" just because the glass is fully intact. Full entrances are ramp to ring, not just coming out with music, video, pyro, and showing the audience in the shot on the stage. That is HALF an entrance. Not that it's a big deal, though. I couldnt really care if the entrances are full or not since there are bigger things to look at, but that comment was really... Wow.

I'll give you that SD!1 didnt have matches like HIAC and whatnot, and Impact has Ultimate X, Monsters Ball, and Full Metal Mayhem (which really isnt that much better when you take into consideration what year THIS is and what year SD! was made in, and the fact that there is only one weapon in the entire game I believe). SD!1 didnt have full/true entrances and Impact is closer to that.

And again, it seems like you are saying, "Well SD! 1 a decade ago didnt have much when SD! 2 fixed that problem, so its okay that Impact doesnt have much because the second one will." which is TOTALLY the wrong thing to be thinking. This isn't 1999. It isn't like features are a new thing to wrestling games. SD! 1 also didnt have to live up to another game series expectations or anything like Impact does here. We are in a day and age where SD! has shown what wrestling games are capable of/capable of having in them. Instead of delivering on the first game, Midway didnt put much into it in the end. Whether it was time issues or because they just royally screwed up, who knows. The date could have EASILY been pushed back 6 months for a spring release or something.

As far as SD! being THQ's third wrestling game and this being Midways first... Um... So what? SD! was the first wrestling game for the Playstation franchise, so THQ had to start from ground up on that too did they not? If you argue that they had the other two games to go off of, well that is exactly what people have been saying about Midway and having the SD! franchise to look at.

EDIT- Wow.... Jay Lethal needs to commentate in this game. That was great.

Edited by Vitamin E

o_O Um.... Full entrances cut in half... are half entrances... You cant take a full glass of water, pour half of it out, and then go "it's still a full glass of water" just because the glass is fully intact. Full entrances are ramp to ring, not just coming out with music, video, pyro, and showing the audience in the shot on the stage. That is HALF an entrance. Not that it's a big deal, though. I couldnt really care if the entrances are full or not since there are bigger things to look at, but that comment was really... Wow.

I'll give you that SD!1 didnt have matches like HIAC and whatnot, and Impact has Ultimate X, Monsters Ball, and Full Metal Mayhem (which really isnt that much better when you take into consideration what year THIS is and what year SD! was made in, and the fact that there is only one weapon in the entire game I believe). SD!1 didnt have full/true entrances and Impact is closer to that.

And again, it seems like you are saying, "Well SD! 1 a decade ago didnt have much when SD! 2 fixed that problem, so its okay that Impact doesnt have much because the second one will." which is TOTALLY the wrong thing to be thinking. This isn't 1999. It isn't like features are a new thing to wrestling games. SD! 1 also didnt have to live up to another game series expectations or anything like Impact does here. We are in a day and age where SD! has shown what wrestling games are capable of/capable of having in them. Instead of delivering on the first game, Midway didnt put much into it in the end. Whether it was time issues or because they just royally screwed up, who knows. The date could have EASILY been pushed back 6 months for a spring release or something.

As far as SD! being THQ's third wrestling game and this being Midways first... Um... So what? SD! was the first wrestling game for the Playstation franchise, so THQ had to start from ground up on that too did they not? If you argue that they had the other two games to go off of, well that is exactly what people have been saying about Midway and having the SD! franchise to look at.

EDIT- Wow.... Jay Lethal needs to commentate in this game. That was great.

I thought I read somewhere that Ultimate X was the only extra match type?

I mean how are they going to have full metal mayhem, with only 1 weapon? A cage, and a bunch of chairs? Same with Monster's Ball. Which I thought was just a four way with weapons anyways.

I dont know. I was looking at it on wikipedia and it said FMM, MB, and UX. Strange that they would have a match with a cage, yet not have Six Sides of Steel, so most likely those other two arent in...

I heard that Daniels does have an alt. Curry Man costume.

No Super Eric!? Pssshhhh, and they expect me to pay $100 for this game.

Lame

I'm really hoping that's sarcasm because $40 really is a huge difference when it comes to money...

I dont know. I was looking at it on wikipedia and it said FMM, MB, and UX. Strange that they would have a match with a cage, yet not have Six Sides of Steel, so most likely those other two arent in...

Full Metal Mayhem, Monster's Ball, and Ultimate X... none of those involved a steel cage whatsoever. Soooo what are you talking about?

FMM is just a hardcore match with "chairs, chains, ladders, etc" and such... ya know... metal things. I believe it took place ONCE at a Lockdown PPV... other than that, it's always been without a cage.

Edited by JairusCain

I don't believe it took place at Lockdown ever. Abyss and Jeff Hardy took part in the first one, either at Against All Odds or Destination X in 2005. Then Abyss and Christian Cage took part in the second one at Sacrifice 2006. Then they had one at Victory Road this year with Angle & Team 3D vs. Styles, Rhino & Cage. But yeah, not SSOS anyway.

Again, Wikipedia. Was reading something about one of the matches and cage.

Either way though, there is no difference in two of those matches when there is only ONE weapon: a chair. Full Metal Mayhem and Monsters Ball will be the same exact match, unless for Monsters Ball they make the wrestlers bodies more vulnerable or something due to the nature of the match.

I find it amusing people are trying to justify spending $60 on a game that has been in development since 2005 by saying "oh, well c'mon, it's their first try." Sorry, this is what the folks are Midway get paid to do - make a good video game - and if the best they can do is make something with about as much features as the first Def Jam game, they have a problem. This would be like a new NFL expansion team charging $100 a ticket when the team blows and they expect people to think "well it's their first season."

It's a wrestling game, not really rocket science - allow people to recreate what they see on TV in a fun way that encourages coming back and replaying it. Five CAW slots in this generation is just embarrassing and asking people to spend $60 on something the developer admits is "the base game" is insulting. So it's essentially a glorified demo? Excellent work, Midway... thanks for saving me the cash.

I don't think they should have released a game until they were entirely happy with what they had. They made a bunch of promises and came through on far less than half of them.

Instead of promising a release date (which they pushed back anyways), they should have promised a solid game, and updated with a percentage complete every month or two until they were damn near finished... then announce a release date.

This game isn't complete enough to warrant spending $60 on it. I might rent it, if my video store even brings it in... but like I said earlier, until it hits $20 and I've got nothing better to do, I won't be buying it.

Whilst I admit there are a lot of things not it, I would still buy it if I had a PS3 (I've only got a PS2, and I know it is on PS2, I'd rather not get it for the PS2 when I'll be getting a PS3. When, though I do not know), mostly for the fact that it's something different to Smackdown which hasn't changed for a while, and personally hasn't changed for the worse, in the sense that SYM & HCTP were better than SDVR. It looks to be halfway between the styles of Fire Pro and SD, whcih should be interesting. The reversal system looks intruiging too.

Sure theres no cage in it, but I rarely play cage matches anyway. There's only 5 CAW slots? That does indeed fucking blow, but that said, the main points I use the CAW for the last few years was to make people in TNA, which I obviously won't need to do now. Half entrances? Most people skip after one or two views anyway, and you don't wanna be playing a four-way with friends who must watch the entrances, and they go and pick the Undertaker, Triple H and someone else with a long entrance, do you?

Anyway, as for the "it's their first game" debate, I'm on both sides. Yes it is their first game, and creating this base and getting things to click correctly and as well as they have done, and sort of marketing and focus groups getting people to try the game to see if it works takes time. And the system is way more advanced from two generations ago, I mean I heard that Solid Snake's mustache in MGS4 had more polygons than the whole of Snake in MGS1.

And you can't complain that DLC is only limited to characters. It's good enough that when you download them, they'll actually be called and have commentary for them. It'll be like inserting a mould and the revelant code for that person, and calling up the currect sound for him. But if you wanted a new match type, it'd have to call up a lot more code at lots of different points at lots of different events, then don't forget visuals for it and sound too. To try and insert that into a game thats running from a disc by downloading it would be a bit difficult.

But you can't really compare Metal Gear to a wrestling game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say MGS4's budget is bigger than Impact's budget, sales, advertising, license, and design team's salary combined. It's one of the biggest franchises in all of video games, so naturally a lot of resources are going to be poured into it over a long period of time. Impact isn't exactly a major property, but they've had the same amount of time to work on it as one of those big video game projects... three years is a LONG time, I really feel like they could have done a lot more with this.

Lame

I'm really hoping that's sarcasm because $40 really is a huge difference when it comes to money...

Sorry Im in Australia, so its $100 here, which is lame, because if its only $60 over there that means your only paying like $72 AUD....and we are getting ripped down here.

Too bad Xbox is region specific.

and yeah, im totally serious...No Super Eric, no buy....I mean, a lack of features on the first game I can understand. But a lack of the greatest worker in the greatest gimmick in the company. Yeah thats boycott worthy

:shifty:

Lame

Sorry Im in Australia, so its $100 here, which is lame, because if its only $60 over there that means your only paying like $72 AUD....and we are getting ripped down here.

Too bad Xbox is region specific.

and yeah, im totally serious...No Super Eric, no buy....I mean, a lack of features on the first game I can understand. But a lack of the greatest worker in the greatest gimmick in the company. Yeah thats boycott worthy

:shifty:

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize you were in AU.

Yeah, PS3 and 360 games are $59.99 plus tax here in the US. You guys are definitely getting ripped off dude. That's insane.