TNA iMPACT! video game

Jayzon

Speaking of multiplayer, I tried Ultimate X with a friend and despite Dragsy and AD saying it's great fun, it wasn't. Maybe for a little bit at the start but thanks to the fact that the wrestlers don't stay down it was proving impossible to do anything which just let to frustration.

So, my brother got this yesterday, which means that I have to play it (don't ask, he has a fear of playing games that I've not already completed, it seems...). It's quite good once you get used to the controls, but it is lacking in the movesets etc. as everyone has said.

Oh, and fuck the pinning/stunning "waggle the stick" thing. Even when I do it as it says, nothing happens. I get it like, 1/3rd full by the 3 count. Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted this in the TNA News Thread in the Ring (but removed all of the wrestling-related parts):

- TNA Wrestling is teaming up with Epic Games, creators of the popular "Gears of War" series, for something very special to promote an upcoming TNA Pay-Per-View event. More details to follow in the coming weeks...

All from TNAWrestling.com

I'm intriguied by the TNA/GoW/Epic Games thing... possibly that Epic are gonna be making TNA Impact 2? Epic created Unreal Engine that was used in Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, as well as Impact, and Midway are the publishers of Unreal Tournament. Hope it's not something lame like crossover unlockable characters in GOW or something though.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, I mean, it took them 5 years (or somewhere near that...) to get the first one out. Surely the second wouldn't be released so soon...

Well, they built an entire game from the ground up, there's already a foundation now, so it shouldn't take long. Smackdown games come out once a year. The bigger issue is if Midway will still be around in six months.

Edited by Zero

• 6 months later...

Just bought TNA iMPACT! last week for 9 dollars at Gamestop Used. Terrific deal and quite worth it. Here is my quick review of the game.

The story mode is a bit too hard, but I beat it after reading the IGN Walkthrough that had some good tips. It's quite hard but only took me a few days.

A lot of stuff was done right in this game. I think a few mechanics need to be re-worked, especially the stun and pin mechanic that has you wiggling the joystick uncontrollably hoping you kick out of a move. The A.I. in story mode is wicked cheap. Sometimes you will get knocked down and roll into the ring and get pinned, but you need to REALLY beat the crap out of the A.I. to pin them. It's quite unfair.

Playing actual people, online or off-line is FUN. The submission system I like but it could use some refining, but it was one of the better mechanics of the game in PvP. It makes sense. The ultimate X is also well done, as its the only real gimmick match of the game.

This game will need between 3 to 5 years to see it's full potential. SvR2010 has the benefit of over 5 years of work. TNA has maybe 2 or 3, and they didn't have anything to base the engine on, as Smackdown has been a series that's been going for over 10 years. They don't just throw everything away every year, then make a whole new game. They just keep updating the engine.

Personally, I won't even care of the graphics are updated in a future release. The graphics are fine and the system (besides some little fine tuning and changing the pin mechanic) is pretty good. They just need time to perfect everything and add MORE matches, MORE venues, MORE features and MORE options.

I hope TNA is able to use what's there of iMPACT! 2 to make their next game with a new developer. Making a whole new game from scratch could take past 2012... and I don't any of us would live to see past 2012.

You seem to have bumped this at a good time, the TNA videogame licence has apparently been purchased and a new game will be made. Christ knows when it'll be released though:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article1008808.shtml

The site that I saw this news on (Lordsofpain IIRC) stated that the "Cross the Line" game will be for DS and/or PSP, not mentioning anything to do with the main consoles.

I'm mildly tempted to get it, as it's only £5 on Play for PS3 (whilst £20 for 360), or at least I was when I had no games to play, but now MW2 is out and Impact being old, I don't know.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's £3.95 on PS3 NEW, £4 for PS2, £8.50 for Wii and £30 for 360. Hahahaha.

It also has a TNA Impact 2 game listed for Xbox too, no release date or anything though.

Edited by TheModernWay

How do you ACTUALLY reverse? I can't seem to reverse any grapple moves really, only when I'm on the floor and they attack.

Also, fuck you James Storm. I beat the other guy in the gauntlet thing easy, then I had 6 attempts against Storm and lost. Turned it off, and had to beat the random guy again. :angry: Luckily, beat Storm on my second go around this time.

Moved up and for some reason demolished Jay Lethal.

• 4 months later...

I started playing this game again, partly because it's the only game that GameStation rejected due to having so many of them (and they accepted Crackdown :/)

Finally got past my barrier of the tag division, managed to breeze through the rest of the game overnight...

..until Abyss

Seriously, fuck this game. I need to defeat Abyss in order to unlock him... yet I cannot defeat him on even the easiest setting because he will destroy me in 8 punches :/

Backyard seriously cannot be easy mode... can it?

Finally completed the game today after changing my characters entire moveset to cheap moves :/

II don't understand how I'm supposed to get any satisfaction from the Heavyweight division... the irony is that these charcters are pretty easy to take on in Exhibition matches... yet in season mode they're unbeatable :/