EWB's Greatest Living Actor '08

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Christian Bale - I think he's an incredible actor. His Batman was fantastic and he was excellent in the Machinist.

2. Johnny Depp - Another incredible actor.

3. Jack Nicholson - While Ledger may change it, Nicholson is who I see when I visualize the Joker...

4. Denzel Washington - Just saw American Gangster. He's great.

5. Leonardo DiCaprio - I wouldn't have included him if you asked me before Christmas. I saw the Departed recently and I must tell you... He really made me believe in his character.

6. Matt Damon - Ditto for Damon in the Departed.

7. Morgan Freeman - I think he's an excellent actor.

8. Bruce Willis

9. Brad Pitt - Awesome in the Ocean's Trilogy.

10. Harrison Ford - He's freaking Han Solo and Indiana Jones. He basically ruled my childhood...

Honorable Mention: George Clooney, Tim Robbins, Giovanni Ribisi (sp?), Will Smith, Alec Baldwin, Ian McKellen (sp?)

There's a serious lack of Patrick Stewart love in here. Forshame EWB.

Sorry Benji but I've seen Masterminds which leads me to believe there is too much love for Patrick Stewart in here.

He hammed it up a beaut in A Christmas Carol, too.

You're both on my naughty list :angry:

My number one vote best get him on this list :shifty:

1 - Johnny Depp There isn't a role I've seen him play where he hasn't made it his own

2 - Sam Rockwell Like Depp, he's played a variety of roles and he's made them all stand out regardless of their importance to the screenplay

3 - Edward Norton There's a subtlety about everything he does that goes against the 'in your face' style of most modern box office draw

4 - Leonardo DiCaprio Horrendously underrated on account of having been in Titanic and being prettier than some of his leading ladies. Gives every role his all

5 - Jack Nicholson Where De Niro and Pacino have perhaps gone a little off the rails as they've grown older (with the former slumming and the latter playing the same role over and over again), Nicholson only seems to improve as he gets older and more manic

6 - Kevin Spacey Not the powerhouse he was a few years back, but Spacey has the same kind of subtle charm that makes Norton such a great actor

7 - Matt Damon Like DiCaprio he cops a lot of flak for being good looking and for knowing Ben Affleck, but he's got a great ability to make a silence matter

8 - Russell Crowe A few years back he'd have been higher, but Crowe's slipped a little in recent years in his film choices. Still, he made movies like 3:10 to Yuma and Gladiator just by being present

9 - Ian McKellan A guy who just continues to improve with age. Has shown in recent blockbuster outtings that he can be good or evil with equal conviction, and does so without hamming it up

10 - Jim Carrey Doesn't get a lot of credit for the serious roles he does, which is a shame. Made the transition from teen idol to serious actor better than most have

Edited by Merry ChrisWalkerBushmas

1) Christian Bale - What made him a star to me first was American Psycho, after that I would say Batman Begins and he should play a good part in Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins but that is if Wiki is correct with there news.

2) John Malkovich - Ripley's Game I loved him in that film

3) Al Pacino - Scarface and The Godfather are the best films I have seen

4) Edward Norton

5) Christian Slater

6) Johnny Depp

7) Bruce Willis

8) Chevy Chase

9) Bill Murray

10) James Marsters

Edited by Lex Luther

Wow, this is tough. I mean, just narrowing it to the top 10 is difficult enough. At least it's only living actors, though, as all time would be almost impossible.

Anyways, whilst I'm here:

Oh, and *contraversial TV actor choice alert*

1. Kevin Spacey - Fantastic actor, equally as adept as Downey Jnr and, to be honest, the two were too close to call. I gave him the nod for American Beauty and The Usual Suspects

2. Robert Downey Jnr.

3. James Callis - Amazingly underated actor that NEEDS more work to show of his diversity.

4. Tom Hanks

5. Guy Pearce

6. Gary Oldman

7. Christian Bale

8. Russell Crowe

9. Forrest Whitaker

10. Alan Rickman

Damn that was hard. For me, the top 5 of interchangeable. Loads of people 'almost' made he list.

EDIT: Added little comments.

Oh, and for the record, Denzel would have probably been 11th, maybe 12th.

Edited by Dragon-F'n-Force!

1. Tom Hanks

2. Kevin Spacey

3. Robert Downey Jr.

4. Nathan Fillion (slight fanboy vote....)

5. Forrest Whitaker

6. Philip Seymour Hoffman

7. Brad Pitt

8. David Tennant (BIG fanboy vote)

9. Cillian Murphy

10. Alan Rickman

Honourable Mentions: Tommy Lee Jones, Christian Bale, Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson.

1) Russell Crowe - A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man & Gladiator, he knows how to tell a story through his characters

2) Johnny Depp - His evolution as an actor from his beginning on 21 Jump Street to movies such as Finding Neverland, Pirates, and Blow is huge. He's not afraid of taking risks and when he does, it pays off huge

3) Edward Norton - You can believe he is his character. He's also a risk taker and they do pay-off in movies like Fight Club and American History X

4) Leonardo DiCaprio

5) Al Pacino

6) John Travolta

7) Robert DeNiro

8) Sean Penn

9) Paul Giamatti

10) Will Smith