NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Watching the Titans win in overtime, I was wondering. I know football is a two sided game, offence and defence, and at the end of the day the Packers defence couldn't stop the Titans offence - but I've always found it slightly depressing that this could all hinge on a coin flip. If it had landed on heads then the Packers could have gone down field and done the exact same thing.

Part of me would like to see them bring in possibly a college football - one possession each rule. Or something like that, they can't really bring in a full period unless it was dramatically shortened, but I've never been a massive fan of overtime as it is. In hockey it works, because you face off for the puck at the start and possession chops and changes, in football possessions are much longer and drawn out. Maybe I just wanted Green Bay to win, but the overtime rules really do irk me.

As for the Brad Johnson thing, it's always a shame to see someone with such a glorious career wind up like this. Even moreso when you're about to be pulled for Brooks Bollinger.

Because I saw Kerry Collins play pretty fucking well when he was asked to in today's game. But I was probably watching a different game ....

Granted, I didn't watch the game, but Collins' completion percentage was the lowest its been for a single game so far this season (48%) and he had no TDs. Judging by ESPN's play-by-play description, I wouldn't say he played pretty fucking well. With only completing 48% of his passes, it's a stretch to even call him consistent. But with no INTs, he's not throwing the game away for his team.

I'm not trying to rag on the Titans. I think they're legitimately one of the best teams right now, but it's certainly not because of Collins. Even with zero INTs, it's hard to say an 18/37 game is efficient or "mistake-free," so there aren't a lot of compliments to throw around for Collins. But their defense is playing well, their rushing game is good, their offensive line gives very few opportunities for sacks, and Collins rarely throws the ball away. So while I wouldn't agree that he's playing all that well, the rest of the team is.