NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Bit of Bears news I thought I'd use to kick off the '08 thread since we're officially in the offseason, and free agency's not far off.

Adam Scheffler is reporting that Chicago has released Muhsin Muhammed rather than pay the $500k roster bonus he's due, and Alex Brown has been given a two year extension. Interesting (read: stupid) news given that there's been indications made that Bernard Berrian will be allowed to test free agency. probably means Marty Booker's coming back, because I can't see any front office letting go of both their starting receivers, with no discernible backups on staff, without some sort of a plan. also could mean Chicago's shopping for Limas Sweed or Early Doucet in the draft (another dumb idea, stick the the o-line).

Moose is jsut 66 yards shy of 10,000 career yards as well.

My little Patriots off-season:

Returning FA's: Randy Moss, Jabar Gaffney, Lonie Paxton, Eric Alexander, Larry Izzo, Pierre Woods, Randall Gay, Chad Scott, Mel Mitchell

Leaving FA's: Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau, Danny Baugher, Troy Brown, Rashad Moore, Mike Wright, Heath Farwell, Asante Samuel, Ray Ventrone, Eugene Wilson

Cut: Donte Stallworth

Signed: T.J. Slaughter, Zach Thomas, Kawika Mitchell, Mike Rucker

Draft Day: With McFadden's stock drop, Patriots trade down with the Cowboys for their two first rounders. They select CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie and then trade the second pick to New Orleans for their second and a fourth. They select OT Sam Baker and RB Steve Slaton in the second round. They take FS Jamar Adams and CB Chevis Jackson in the third. They take DE Jason Jones and LB Jonathan Goff in the fourth. They grab WR Paul Hubbard in the fifth, C Doug Legursky in the sixth, and DT Maurice Murray in the seventh.

So overall, added: LB T.J. Slaughter, LB Zach Thomas, LB Kawika Mitchell, DL Mike Rucker, CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, OT Sam Baker, RB Steve Slaton, FS Jamar Adams, CB Chevis Jackson, DE Jason Jones, LB Jonathan Goff, WR Paul Hubbard, C Doug Legursky, DT Maurice Murray

Lost: LB Tedy Bruschi, LB Junior Seau, P Danny Baugher, WR Troy Brown, DL Rashad Moore, DL Mike Wright, LB Heath Farwell, CB Asante Samuel, SS Ray Ventrone, FS Eugene Wilson, WR Donte Stallworth

EDIT: Just found out Karlos Dansby was franchised by the Cardinals.

Edited by BB11

I can see why the Bears released Muhammed, he was an obvious choice to get cut this off-season and now they can easily sell Berrian on the "we want you, you are the #1 guy" and if Brown wants to stay around, I'd love to have him. I hope we can re-sign Berrian, bring Booker back, and then we'd have those two plus Bradley, Hester, and Davis for a pretty good receiving core.

No they haven't released Marion Barber.

He's a restricted free agent, all the Cowboys have to do is sign him to a $2.5 million tender, then teams have to give up a first and a third to get him. Of coures they're talking longer term extension with him.

As for the draft, I'm in favor of no trade that involves moving Barber, which is very unlikely to happen. Besides, the Dolphins more than likely won't draft McFadden, so if Jerry Jones really wants him, he'll have other opportunities to make a trade that doesn't involve Barber.

And if they don't trade up for McFadden, I'd like to see them take Jonathan Stewart from Oregon and then just pound the shit out of teams with Stewart and Barber. I'd be okay with Felix Jones, but he sounds a little too much like what Julius Jones was supposed to be.

With the other pick, it has to be a corner or a safety. I'd like to see the Cowboys get younger at WR, but that can wait for another year, or free agency, as drafting WRs is always a crapshoot, and it hasn't been working out well for anyone lately. If we can get Roy Williams for one of the first rounders, we should do that though.

Edited by Maxx

Nah, that would basically mean that Jerry Jones is retarded because even if they were contemplating letting him go, they can get something in return for him.

In other news though, it appears as though, that just like I predicted (anybody could've predicted it really, though), that the Patriots have offered a contract to one Zach Thomas. He's still set to visit the Saints and Cowboys but I can only imagine him going to the Saints other than Pats because the Cowboys have a shit load of LB's.

We're not particularly strong at ILB. Bradie James is solid and our defensive leader so he won't be replaced but Akin Ayodele, Bobby Carpenter & Kevin Burnett aren't particularly brilliant. I don't see us getting him, though, we all know the New England Patriots is the NFL's official linebacker retirement home.

Thomas is probably just a concussion away from retirement anyways. Question is if he signs with the Pats, will it happen during a game or during practice?

I can see why the Bears released Muhammed, he was an obvious choice to get cut this off-season and now they can easily sell Berrian on the "we want you, you are the #1 guy" and if Brown wants to stay around, I'd love to have him. I hope we can re-sign Berrian, bring Booker back, and then we'd have those two plus Bradley, Hester, and Davis for a pretty good receiving core.

Berrian's problem isn't over starting, it's the stability at QB that's his personal sticking point. Still, I should think at the very least he'll get tagged. Sad to see Moose go, but he wasn't nearly as effective a Bear as he was a Panther.

It surprises me that the Pats offered Thomas a contract. It's a good fit for him, but New England's already talented at linebacker, they're just really freaking old.

Well yeah sure but not in the first round now if Thomas takes the contract. I think they have a huge need now at Cornerback which far outweighs the linebacker core. And they need pretty much an instant started at cornerback too.

Edited by Pepsi

Well yeah sure but not in the first round now if Thomas takes the contract. I think they have a huge need now at Cornerback which far outweighs the linebacker core. And they need pretty much an instant started at cornerback too.

Well they wouldn't take a linebacker in round 1 anyway. Especially at #7, there's no value there. This draft is top-heavy with cornerbacks with at least 4-5 corners who are receiving first-round grades. If the Pats were smart they'd stay at #7 and take whoever they rank as the top CB that's left on the board.

Good linebackers can be had in rounds 2-4 as they really only need depth at LB for now.