NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Pete Carroll wants nothing to do with the NFL anymore ... and seriously why the fuck would he leave USC ? That'd be more idiotic than Saban leaving LSU when he did .... don't even say money, don't do it.

Why the hell would any halfway decent college coach want anything to do with the NFL? In college, the coach is just one step to the left of God Almighty if the team is winning every year (which USC does). And the money is fast catching up to anything the NFL could even think of offering. An NFL franchise's budget is pretty well cut and dried, while a university can simply start firing professors to make up the difference. "Education? Who the fuck comes here for an education? They come here to get drunk and laid and watch football, dammit!"

...and to think, some might question why Americans aren't generally viewed as being that bright >_>

Not sure why they would. We do peer reviews for my English lit class, and every other paper I've read this semester has made me want to concuss myself by banging my head on the keyboard repeatedly. "No, through is not a verb, you fucking cretin!!!!"

Yeah, some college student actually tried to use through as a verb. Americans are fucking morons. Of course, at this point, most of the rest of the world isn't that far ahead.

Some fun stats leading into week 9:

-The Dolphins were 31st last year in the all-important Passing Yards Per Attempt category, averaging just 5.05 YPA. Today, they're No. 3 in the NFL, averaging a very impressive 7.65 Passing Yards Per Attempt. To put those 7.65 YPA into perspective, keep in mind that New England's historic passing game of 2007 averaged just 7.79 YPA.

-Tennessee has committed just seven negative pass plays in 194 dropbacks, a rate of 3.6 percent that’s easily the best in the NFL. With Kerry Collins at QB, the Titans have committed just four negative pass plays in 171 dropbacks (2.3 percent).

-The Detroit defense has allowed opposing quarterbacks a combined 118.0 passer rating this season. To put that into perspective, New England QB Tom Brady, during his record-setting 2007 season, posted a 117.2 passer rating.

-Bears QB Kyle Orton has completed 71 of 109 (65.1 percent) for 903 yards, 8.28 YPA, 5 TDs, 0 INTs and a 106.2 passer rating over his last three games.

-The NFC East leads the NFL with a 21-9 overall record and a 17-5 out-of-division record.

I have the best kind of fantasy problem. do I start Kurt Warner or Kyle Orton? Orton had a great outing against Detroit earlier in the season, but I also have Forte and Olsen, and if the offense shits the bed for whatever reason, I'm boned on three fronts instead of just two. On the other hand the Rams have a better-ranked pass defense than Detroit (admittedly, not by much) and is NFL.com's Start of the Week.

Decisions, decisions.

ESPN Fantasy has Warner ranked #1 and Orton #5. So far this season Warner has more yards and more TDs. He also plays on a pass-first team. Add that to the fact that you don't want your game to complete hinge on the Bears' offense, and it seems that Warner is the logical start, although it could easily work against you. But Warner is the safer way to go since I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears had Forte run all over the Lions' defense. Warner is almost guaranteed to get more attempts to throw, so that's what I would do.

Yeah, I decided on Warner pretty much straight after I posted.

But I was right to give Neckbeard a chance, everyone laughed at them for not signing anyone else and letting Necky and the Sex Cannon go for the job. Everyone said the Bears would finish bottom of the division and have a terrible, terrible offence. And now Orton's seriously looking like a long-term answer at QB. He's not just game-managing either. Fortunately, he's had help from a line that's actually decided to show up this year (and will hopefully only get better when Williams gets healthy, he's rumoured to be dressing for tonight), and a tailback who's been pretty solid so far. Yeah, the wheels could come off, the receivers aren't the greatest corps ever, but the same could be said of any offense, so I'll enjoy it while it alsts thanks.