NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

So on NFL GameDay Mooch said he thinks the Jaguars will be dealt a second straight loss by a winless team when they play the Lions next week? Agree/disagree?

And blimey my fantasy team really does have a curse. I've started five different QBs this season and except for Kurt Warner (who I used as part of a trade for Marion Barber, Terrell Owens and Matt Schaub, which doesn't look so smart right now) all of them have had bad things happen. Tom Brady goes down with a torn ACL the first week, Tony Romo breaks his finger, J.T. O'Sullivan gets benched and Matt Schaub is now out about a month with a torn MCL. And on Saturday I traded away my back-up, Brett Favre for Torry Holt and Chris Johnson. Yet somehow I'm still top of my division (H)

you're forgetting the three ring circus that is the owner and how is circus pagentry affects the team

Oh yeah, those three Super Bowl rings and that franchise best 13-3 record last year was really terrible. Jerry Jones is the worst owner in the NFL! :rolleyes:

Edited by AD

Oh yeah, those three Super Bowl rings and that franchise best 13-3 record last year was really terrible. Jerry Jones is the worst owner in the NFL! :rolleyes:

Wow, typical Dallas response. Please, elaborate on that 13-3 record. Exactly how many playoff games did it win you last year, and in fact when was the last time you won a playoff game ? I mean hey, the Pats were 16-0 in the regular season, what'd it get them ?

Please, don't fanboy/homer it up. If you actually knew anything about the Cowboys you'd know damn well that Jones is a fucking tophat wearing douche.

As the arbitrator in this upcoming flamefest, I feel obligated to remind both participants that attacks on Jerry Jones' mental stability are not allowed until Al Davis is dead. OK, I want a nice, dirty fight, strikes to the groin are encouraged, biting is a great tactic...seconds out, ROUND ONE.

So on NFL GameDay Mooch said he thinks the Jaguars will be dealt a second straight loss by a winless team when they play the Lions next week? Agree/disagree?

The Jags could become the anti-Steelers and lose two straight to winless teams. I'd be all for it. But I don't know, Detroit is pretty awful. Might be the only team legitimately worse than Cincy.

And as for Tennessee, I will admit I did not see any of the game except the last drive in regulation, Collins looked great on that drive. Albeit against the Packers prevent defense. I hate the prevent defense, it seems like it usually prevents teams from winning instead of preserving a lead.

Teams like the Giants who continue to blitz and get pressure on the QB even late in games where they have leads prove that sitting on a lead and letting your opponent dink and dunk it's way down the field is not the only way to win games defensively.

As the arbitrator in this upcoming flamefest, I feel obligated to remind both participants that attacks on Jerry Jones' mental stability are not allowed until Al Davis is dead. OK, I want a nice, dirty fight, strikes to the groin are encouraged, biting is a great tactic...seconds out, ROUND ONE.

Um...yeah, no. Anyone's going below the belt, some people are getting time off from the board.

That said, let it be noted that Dallas won the last of those three rings in year 1 A.J. (After Jimmy). I've never been a Jimmy Johnson fan per se, but I give him one hell of a lot more credit for putting together those Super Bowl-winning teams than I'd ever give Jerry Jones. Since Jimmy left and Jones Sr. and Jr. started to move out his players/watch them retire...well, the results there seem to get brought up every week on ESPN, Fox, EWB, wherever someone wants to wax melodramatic about the current state of the Cowboys.

And tough luck Tennessee, you beating the Packers sends them to .500 which means they're not a quality team so the Titans are obviously still riding their easy schedule :shifty:

Hey, when you beat a team at this point who is .500 or below, it's nothing to brag too much about. You're in pretty good company.

That being said, based on a ranking system like that, the Titans aren't going to look great no matter what. There aren't too many games in their schedule where a win would look really impressive. I suppose individual arguments could be made for the Texans, Browns, Bears, Jets, and Colts, but that's all contingent on the rest of the season for those teams. The only definite big challenge left is the Steelers. Which also means that when they do most likely lose to a non-Steelers team, people are going to rag on them like crazy. They're not going to have an opportunity to gain any legitimate respect until the playoffs.

Wow, typical Dallas response. Please, elaborate on that 13-3 record. Exactly how many playoff games did it win you last year, and in fact when was the last time you won a playoff game ? I mean hey, the Pats were 16-0 in the regular season, what'd it get them ?

Please, don't fanboy/homer it up. If you actually knew anything about the Cowboys you'd know damn well that Jones is a fucking tophat wearing douche.

So, what, you're blaming a few playoff losses on Jerry Jones? Not the coaches or players, it's Jerry Jones' fault?

And rather than talk down to me and act like you're superior, how about you actually explain your branding of Jerry Jones as a 'circus' and explain to me how he negatively affects the team because I don't get that at all.

Edited by AD

Jerry is a great owner, average GM.

The Cowboys quarterback woes since Aikman left are enough to cement him in mediocracy no matter how many more super bowls he wins. We haven't drafted and developed a QB besides Romo in about a decade, and we've been paying for it for the last 3 weeks. Jerry will go out and get sign players he needs to win, but he unless he's got a strong minded head coach, the team never develops anything. We've got Parcells to thank for Newman, Ware and Barber. Jerry to thank for Pacman and Tank Johnson.

That Giants game was hideous, my last time seeing the Cowboys in person for the forseeable future too, thanks to the awesome management of the Giants and their $10,000 PSLs. We left after Bollinger threw his interception, and only stuck around that long out of some morbid curiosity.

The team is chock full of talent but is completely leaderless. There's barely any spark in the offense, which was the case even when Romo was playing. We need to get Felix Jones back and way more involved, as he can be the game changing spark the offense needs. Romo needs to come back healthy and start airing it out immediately, then we'll really be able to gauge the impact of the Roy Williams accquisition, because I don't care how good a WR you are, its hard to catch balls thrown at your feet cause your 40 year old QB struggles mightly to throw a 20 yard pass.

Quinn in for Anderson this week for the Browns with a game coming up on Thursday. To me it has been a long time coming Anderson has been nowhere near consistent enough dating all the way back to last season when he basically cost us a playoff spot against the Bengals in the second to last week of the season. I am not expecting Quinn to be the next great NFL QB but I want to see what we have in him since all Anderson has showed is that he is terribly inconsistent and cracks under the pressure when the game is on the line. Wish this move would have been made earlier in the season especially with a short week going into Quinn's first start. Either way I am excited to see a change made and I want to see what Quinn can do.

So, what, you're blaming a few playoff losses on Jerry Jones? Not the coaches or players, it's Jerry Jones' fault?

And rather than talk down to me and act like you're superior, how about you actually explain your branding of Jerry Jones as a 'circus' and explain to me how he negatively affects the team because I don't get that at all.

Um, let's see here. Dave Camp, TO, Tank Johnson, Pacman, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, running Parcells out of town, running Jimmy Johnson out of town, trading away ANOTHER draft for Roy Williams (who is great, but holy hell you don't need a WR of all things and not for a 1st, 3rd, 6th), Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, trading a first rounder and two other picks to move up three spots for DAVID LaFLUR ...... and that's just off the top of my head.

All of those decisions where a direct result of Jerry Jones getting his way. The Super Bowls you talked about where because of Jimmy Johnson and the personel decisions he made in the draft. Jerry didn't have the majority say in those decisions and they won. Jones couldn't stand it so he got rid of Johnson because there can only be one man running the Cowboys .... Jerry Jones. That's why Parcells left. He wanted certain players, certain things and Jones said no. Parcells left so Jerry could have his way and .... we know the rest.

A few playoff losses ? Are you serious ? It's been TWELVE YEARS since the Cowboys have won a playoff game. Um, yeah that has quite a bit to do with the owner, especially when HE is the one that has been directly deciding who those players and coaches are that you want to blame instead of Jones.

I'm not talking down to you and acting like I'm superior. You are flat out ignorant or the biggest homer ever for the Cowboys. Seriously, you have to literally be blind to need an explination on the circus that Dallas has been the last decade. I lived in Texas for all but the last 5 1/2 months of my life and saw it all first hand. You seriously don't get how he negatively affects the team ? SERIOUSLY ? Well, again, check that playoff record the last 12 yrs. I mean wow, it's not like these things are hidden or not public knowledge.

He's right sadly. Cowboys only do well when there's a great coach leading them and then usually the season after they leave. Great under Johnson, kept it going the year after he left. Parcells returns them to the playoffs, last year they go 13-3. Now Jerry is squarely back in control and we're shitting the bed, even worse I don't see Jason Garrett being a solution. He seems too soft spoken, too detatched to be an effective strong minded head coach, hopefully I'm wrong though.

Edited by Maxx

Quinn in for Anderson this week for the Browns with a game coming up on Thursday. To me it has been a long time coming Anderson has been nowhere near consistent enough dating all the way back to last season when he basically cost us a playoff spot against the Bengals in the second to last week of the season. I am not expecting Quinn to be the next great NFL QB but I want to see what we have in him since all Anderson has showed is that he is terribly inconsistent and cracks under the pressure when the game is on the line. Wish this move would have been made earlier in the season especially with a short week going into Quinn's first start. Either way I am excited to see a change made and I want to see what Quinn can do.

It could be my Irish love coming out, but I actually believe Quinn will be good. Typically quarterbacks in his position with first round talent, but that backup for a year or more, step in and are successful. And there is little aruging that Quinn is stepping into a situation with talent around him. I hope Brady does well.

Um, let's see here. Dave Camp, TO, Tank Johnson, Pacman, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, running Parcells out of town, running Jimmy Johnson out of town, trading away ANOTHER draft for Roy Williams (who is great, but holy hell you don't need a WR of all things and not for a 1st, 3rd, 6th), Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, trading a first rounder and two other picks to move up three spots for DAVID LaFLUR ...... and that's just off the top of my head.

All of those decisions where a direct result of Jerry Jones getting his way. The Super Bowls you talked about where because of Jimmy Johnson and the personel decisions he made in the draft. Jerry didn't have the majority say in those decisions and they won. Jones couldn't stand it so he got rid of Johnson because there can only be one man running the Cowboys .... Jerry Jones. That's why Parcells left. He wanted certain players, certain things and Jones said no. Parcells left so Jerry could have his way and .... we know the rest.

A few playoff losses ? Are you serious ? It's been TWELVE YEARS since the Cowboys have won a playoff game. Um, yeah that has quite a bit to do with the owner, especially when HE is the one that has been directly deciding who those players and coaches are that you want to blame instead of Jones.

I'm not talking down to you and acting like I'm superior. You are flat out ignorant or the biggest homer ever for the Cowboys. Seriously, you have to literally be blind to need an explination on the circus that Dallas has been the last decade. I lived in Texas for all but the last 5 1/2 months of my life and saw it all first hand. You seriously don't get how he negatively affects the team ? SERIOUSLY ? Well, again, check that playoff record the last 12 yrs. I mean wow, it's not like these things are hidden or not public knowledge.

First of all, Terrell Owens? How is that a negative against Jerry Jones? He took one of the best WRs of the last decade, toned down the ego and helped produce one of the best QB-WR combos of the last few years in him and Romo. And I don't see the problem with Tank Johnson either, he's caused no trouble and has become a serviceable player in the defense. As for Adam Jones I think it's too early to judge, he'll play for us again.

You're judging the Roy Williams trade as a negative ALREADY? Jesus, you don't give anything a chance. He hasn't even played a game with a healthy offense yet. He may well form the best WR duo in the league with TO and looks to be our main guy for several years to come after Owens retires. And no, Jerry did NOT throw away the 2009 draft because we still have 8 picks left which will likely be packaged together to get higher picks. I love what Jerry's done recently in regards to the draft.

I never said Jerry Jones was responsible for the Super Bowls, I said he had them to his name. Oh, and by the way the coaches that won them were brought in by Jerry. But no, he doesn't get any credit for that.

Parcells left because he wanted more money and Jerry didn't give it to him, and after two more straight playoff losses, why would he? And yes, we do know the rest, Jerry brought in a new coaching staff and Dallas got the best record they've ever had.

Yes, a few playoff losses. We weren't in the playoffs every year, so it's a few playoffs game that we've lost. I'm not using the word 'few' as saying they didn't mean much, I'm using the word to indicate multiple games.

Did I say Jerry Jones was perfect? Did I say he'd never made any mistakes? No. You, however seem to ignore all of the good things he's done and pretty much label him as the worst owner in the NFL. But ignore me, my opinion doesn't count at all compared to you because you used to live in Texas!

First of all, Terrell Owens? How is that a negative against Jerry Jones? He took one of the best WRs of the last decade, toned down the ego and helped produce one of the best QB-WR combos of the last few years in him and Romo. And I don't see the problem with Tank Johnson either, he's caused no trouble and has become a serviceable player in the defense. As for Adam Jones I think it's too early to judge, he'll play for us again.

Yes, TO. Of course he wasn't his typical self last year. They were 13-3. They won. This year is a different story. They've hit some issues and already he's lashed out at Romo and Phillips both. He's opened his mouth about not getting the ball enough and what does Jerry do ? He makes him the focus of a game (including a couple of running plays) and they stink up the joint. It's called track record. TO has NEVER been a team player and NEVER kept his mouth shut in his career. You're talking about a guy that was talking down to and disrespecting Jerry Rice before he himself had done shit in the league. He goes to Philly and has the spectacular year with them and takes them to the Super Bowl. Then McNabb gets a little injury and they're not rolling people. TO goes off and does his bullshit. Now look at Dallas. Same thing except he hasn't gone to a full blown explosion. He has already reared his head and shown the signs of the TO that was in SF and Philly. So yeah, TO. Hell, I didn't even mention his bullshit at practice and the whole suicide attempt crap when he first got there. YES, TO. I also left out TO's propencity to drop balls in big games/situations. So YES, TO.

Tank has been there for what, 8 games ? While he hasn't proven otherwise, again it's called track record. Why must Jerry go and get a player with Tank's issues ? Risk/reward would be the answer, but Jones has a HISTORY of being wrong on these types of players and the perfect case in point:

Pacman. Too early to judge ? There is absolutely no way you can honestly believe that. The man was just came off a year long suspension from the league for off field conduct (a fight/shooting). It wasn't even his first involvement with the police (he was arrested in 2005). While on suspension he violated his agreement with the Titans by taking a physcial role with TNA. Now he's been suspended for a minimum of four games due to once again being a fucktard off the field. Not only did he get into yet another fight (with his own bodyguard mind you) but he violated the no alcohol portion of his agreement with the NFL. Too early my ass. Jerry Jones needed to shore up his secondary yes, but with a man that has PROVEN to be not worth the trouble, and above average at best at CB ? Yeah, that's fucking retarded.

You're judging the Roy Williams trade as a negative ALREADY? Jesus, you don't give anything a chance. He hasn't even played a game with a healthy offense yet. He may well form the best WR duo in the league with TO and looks to be our main guy for several years to come after Owens retires. And no, Jerry did NOT throw away the 2009 draft because we still have 8 picks left which will likely be packaged together to get higher picks. I love what Jerry's done recently in regards to the draft.

Roy Williams might end up being wonderful, and that's fine. I actually like Roy Williams. I also know that he's had the chronic injury bug since being in the NFL (stemming to his last year at Texas). He MIGHT form one of the best WR combos ever IF TO can learn to play without being the focus of the QB (which he has yet to do). It would make more sense if WR was a problem position for the 'Boys but it isn't. There was no need for the trade. WR is one of the few positions that there was quality depth already in place. Giving away your 1st round pick (along with two others) for a chronically injured WR that could end up causing problems with the superstar WR you already have ? Not the best of choices. Ok, Jones may not have wrecked the draft for next year, but already you don't have a first rounder. Good job genius ! Jones needs players, and good ones. Trading away first round picks isn't the way to build a team. As it stands as I write this, the 'Boys first pick next year would be at #57. Yeah, that's fucking stupid.

And what do you love about the drafts that Jones has done ? Yes, last year was really good. 06-07 MIGHT end up producing one quality player each. 03-05 were Parcells people, not Jones' so no dice there. 00-02 you only had ONE, ONE first round pick (thank you Jerry) and at least he got it right with Roy Williams. Outside of that pick ... uh, you got ... um yeah, nothing. These years include the wonderous no first round pick year of 01 when you NEEDED a QB and decided not to have that first rounder to take Drew Brees ..... who was a Texas guy and like the 2/3 rated QB in the draft. Instead you trade the pick and take Q in the bottom of the second round. So yes, PLEASE tell me what you've loved about the draft recently. I'm talking about the ones that Jones ran since we're talking about him and all.

I never said Jerry Jones was responsible for the Super Bowls, I said he had them to his name. Oh, and by the way the coaches that won them were brought in by Jerry. But no, he doesn't get any credit for that.

Then what did you mean by it ? I mean what else could saying

Oh yeah, those three Super Bowl rings and that franchise best 13-3 record last year was really terrible. Jerry Jones is the worst owner in the NFL!
mean ? I'm not sure what your point is there if it isn't to show that he won the three super bowls. And if you AREN'T saying that he's responsible for them, then you're only helping to prove my point. And yes, he did hire Johnson, I even mentioned that already. I also mentioned that it was Johnson that built those teams. Switzer was lucky as shit as I already mentioned, because he inherited Johnson's team and not Jerry's. Then we watched as Jones once again was in charge of the personnel decisions. And we watched as the Cowboys slid right back out of dominance and into a shit hole. Gailey and Campo followed, as did three straight 5-11 seasons. Yeah, great fucking job Jerry !

Parcells left because he wanted more money and Jerry didn't give it to him, and after two more straight playoff losses, why would he? And yes, we do know the rest, Jerry brought in a new coaching staff and Dallas got the best record they've ever had.

Yes, they got the best record they've ever had .... with Parcells' player. And HOLY SHIT you think Parcells left Dallas because of MONEY ? Let's go back to that TO guy you love so much. His crap upon arriving at Dallas is part of what made Parcells decide to go. The media was such a CIRCUS that he couldn't even concentrate on the team. The rift was so bad at one point that came to Bill or TO leaving the team. In fact, Jones going and getting TO was a direct undermining of the authority that Jones had supposedly givent to Parcells. Parcells told Jerry that he wasn't going to coach the 'Boys unless HE, PARCELLS, was the guy making personnel decisions. Bill even made it public that he wasn't going to have the car but not the keys. Jerry said ok and then constantly underminded and tinkered. Money had nothing to do with it and I'd once again, LOVE to hear just how the hell you came to that conclusion. Because Parcells had one year, FIVE MILLION left on his original deal with the Cowboys. He wasn't even up for a contract yet. Seriously, where do you get this shit ? Jones wanted to continue to be owner and GM. Parcells doesn't work that way. He left because he knew that he'd never get to finish what he started because Jones would always do his own thing (a la sign TO). As for the rest, yeah Jones brought in Phillips. A fucking puppet that is calling Parcells every night and thanking him for the team he got because it sure as hell wasn't Jones that put it together. Parcells wanted to be in charge of the personnel decisions because he's good like that. He left coaching period. He's now the GM in Miami ... who has completely turned it around in one year with Parcells in charge ... hhmmmm.

Yes, a few playoff losses. We weren't in the playoffs every year, so it's a few playoffs game that we've lost. I'm not using the word 'few' as saying they didn't mean much, I'm using the word to indicate multiple games.

Did I say Jerry Jones was perfect? Did I say he'd never made any mistakes? No. You, however seem to ignore all of the good things he's done and pretty much label him as the worst owner in the NFL. But ignore me, my opinion doesn't count at all compared to you because you used to live in Texas!

Exactly, you didn't make the playoffs every year and when you did you lost. Since the Johnson built teams you've been in the playoffs 5 of 11 years and lost all five playoff games. That is stellar.

Funny, you're the only one of the two of us that has used the word "worst" in this discussion. In fact, my original comment was only that Jones was a three ring circus. That was it. What I find hilarious is that I am able to NOT be the homer for the Cowboys despite having lived in Texas my entire life. Yes, living in Texas has OBVIOUSLY made a difference in terms of actual knowledge of the situation involving the team. There's more coverage of it, it's a part of pretty much every day, and there's more people 'in the know' in the home state as opposed to ..... where do you live again ? It would be like me trying to have a debate with someone here in Washington DC about the Redskins when all I know is what's in the media and on Sportscenter. No way I could do it. I mean, you think Parcells left because of money for crying out loud ...

Wooo Go Steelers!!

They play like crap offensively for the entire first half.... Ben goes 5-17 and 50 yards... reingures his shoulder on the QB sneak touchdown....

They come out hungry as hell in the second half.... Leftwich goes ... 7-10? 129 yards, engineers two scoring drives.

Defense ends up sacking Campbell 7 or 8 times... damn and pick him off twice?

Another win for my boys!! 6-2 baby!!

I felt like mentioning that I've just witnessed a game in Football Mogul that was a 0-0 tie. Tampa Bay's Tony Romo was three-for-thirty-five and the two teams put together didn't manage two hundred offensive yards.

OK, now I think there's something a little bit wrong with this savefile. My Detroit team restricted Chicago to two yards rushing and a Cleveland-Kansas City game just finished 91-66, among other games this week such as Dallas 90 - 84 Chicago and Cincinnati 66 - 86 Buffalo. Oakland also just beat Indianapolis in a nail-biting 129-126 win. Also, Detroit just beat Green Bay 90-87 in overtime thanks mostly to a 474-yard rushing performance from Mike Hart - it wasn't even close to the best performance, however, as Frank Gore racked up 728 all-purpose yards and 12 touchdowns.

Aw, now it's back to normal.

Edited by Be