NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Yeah, but New England but the fuck out of everybody, classless or no. The '72 Dolphins scraped by a bunch of .500-or-less teams. Not to dimish too much what they did, but the Patriots nearly-perfect season was way more impressive. And although it kills me to say that, the sheer joy of watching the Giants wreck their legacy more than makes up for it. Seriously, I could only have been happier if it were the Bears there to make a repeat of '85.

Considering the Pats equalled and then surpassed what they did, I don't see the point in them still celebrating.

It's not their fault there were only 14 games in the regular season.

Um, and then the playoffs. ThePats 18-0 record before the Superbowl was better than the Dolphins ENTIRE perfect season. (Y)

Yeah I guarentee every team in the league would rather have a 10-5 regular season with a Super Bowl win, rather than a 16-0 season without one.

^ but nobody would argue that fact.

The question is this:

What's more impressive ? What the '72 Dolphins did, or the '07 Pats ?

If you qualify it simply by winning the Super Bowl then there are a few teams I'd throw up that were better than the '72 Dolphins but they had a loss.

In terms of this discussion, I don't view winning the Super Bowl as something to trump all the other teams you could compare them too.

^ but nobody would argue that fact.

The question is this:

What's more impressive ? What the '72 Dolphins did, or the '07 Pats ?

If you qualify it simply by winning the Super Bowl then there are a few teams I'd throw up that were better than the '72 Dolphins but they had a loss.

In terms of this discussion, I don't view winning the Super Bowl as something to trump all the other teams you could compare them too.

Then you're wrong.

The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl. For a team of that calibre, that makes the season a loss.

The Dolphins did.

To sum up, you're wrong. You're going to stretch this thing out over another few pages, but you're wrong.

Line up the two teams in their prime right now and everyone knows who would win.

It's been 35 years and there has been a ridiculous amount of changes to the game in everything from the basic rules (thank you Tom fucking Brady) to fitness regimens that the Patriots take as given and the Dolphins wouldn't know where the fuck to begin with. So thanks Blaze, way to bring absolutely fucking nothing to the discussion.

Edited by Be

Then you're wrong.

The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl. For a team of that calibre, that makes the season a loss.

The Dolphins did.

To sum up, you're wrong. You're going to stretch this thing out over another few pages, but you're wrong.

Sorry, but simply because you say something it doesn't make it so. Besides, I refuse to believe that even you are a big enough idiot to think that the best team always wins. If that were the case the games wouldn't be played. But hey, you surprise me all the time. The Pats won MORE games than the Dolphins and won more games without a loss than the Dolphins. We aren't even talking about whether or not the season was "a loss" for the Patriots at all. And ...

It's been 35 years and there has been a ridiculous amount of changes to the game in everything from the basic rules (thank you Tom fucking Brady) to fitness regimens that the Patriots take as given and the Dolphins wouldn't know where the fuck to begin with. So thanks Blaze, way to bring absolutely fucking nothing to the discussion.

... which would only favor the Patriots. I'm not even talking about putting the '72 Dolphins up against the '07 Patriots. I'm still talking in the context of their respective seasons. The game itself is harder to play now than it was then. Rule changes, acceleration of training, level of athletes, complexity of the offensive and defense schemes, and the advancement of actual plays all lend to it being more difficult/impressive for the Patriots to do what they did last year as opposed to the Dolphins of '72.

Simply trying to qualify the argument with "did they win the Super Bowl ?" is being ignorant just for the sake of being ignorant.

New England did not win the Super Bowl. Their season was a failure.

Miami did. Their season was a success.

You can go "lol be lol stupid lololol" all you like, but the above is the truth.

And by the by, if you're going to take the "my opponent is stupid and should feel stupid", note that Blaze was insinuating the Patriots would win. Also, it's not the game was easy for New England's opponents either, which appears to be the point you're making and the one of mine you're supporting - football has moved on. Miami, being the past, hasn't moved on with it.

The Patriots didn't have a perfect season, the Dolphins did. There's no argument about what's better, the Dolphins had a perfect season and the Patriots didn't. They deserve to celebrate until someone else equals the accomplishment. "Oh lol they went 18-0, the Dolphins didn't!" As I said, it was IMPOSSIBLE for the Dolphins to go 18-0. You can't divide by zero here.

Now, if we want to turn this into a discussion of best NFL teams in history we can. I'd make my top 3:

'85 Bears

'62 Packers

'89 49ers

New England did not win the Super Bowl. Their season was a failure.

Miami did. Their season was a success.

You can go "lol be lol stupid lololol" all you like, but the above is the truth.

Wow, you're supporting the "ignorant for the sake of being ignorant" point I just made.

I never once said anything about ^ at all. In fact, I even stated to you in my above post that "We aren't even talking about whether or not the season was "a loss" for the Patriots at all." You can continue to say that over and over but it still won't have anything to do with what I'm talking about.

And by the by, if you're going to take the "my opponent is stupid and should feel stupid", note that Blaze was insinuating the Patriots would win. Also, it's not the game was easy for New England's opponents either, which appears to be the point you're making and the one of mine you're supporting - football has moved on. Miami, being the past, hasn't moved on with it.

Um, what ? I have no idea what you just said there. I'm not being an ass or anything, I seriously don't know what you said. I don't know where you're going with the supporting you deal because we clearly have two different takes on what it means that the game has moved on.

Damshow has figured out what's being talked about here. You're right, they couldn't go 18-0. That only lends to the fact that it was harder for the Patriots to do what they did than it was for the Dolphins. They had two more chances to lose than the Dolphins did. The number past 17 is arbitrary and ultimately means nothing. How is it fair to say that a team has to do MORE in order to EQUAL the Dolphins ? Because there's more games now you can say "but the Dolphins couldn't have" but you can say "the Patriots didn't" ? That isn't right. The Patriots DID equal what the Dolphins accomplished in terms of wins. The number of teams and schedule is not the fault of the Patriots. They played as many games as the Dolphins without a loss. Because of where the game is now, they actually got to one more. If you swap the years, the Pats have more than enough wins for the Super Bowl and the Dolphins would still have to have won two more games. So yeah, how is it that a team has to be 19-0 to equal 17-0 ? And please, I'm not talking about winning the Super Bowl as that isn't what I'm discussing in all of this.

But yeah, that list of teams you put up pretty much destroys the whole "Dolphins are better" argument. If 17-0 is the best, then they must be the best team ever right ? Not only did they win the Super Bowl but they did it without losing. How can you not rank them as the best team ever ? hhhhmmmm ....

Its a perfect season, that means winning every game in it, for the Pats that happened to be 19 games total and they did not achieve that. The Super Bowl is the most important piece in the season, the Dolphins got to it and won, completing their perfect season, whereas the Pats got there and cracked, ruining their perfect season.

I mean its a matter of personal opinion what you're more impressed by, but I can't imagine why anyone would be less impressed with a perfect season that ends with a super bowl title as opposed to one that doesn't, thats just dumb.

Better TEAM and better SEASON are two totally different arguments.

Actually being able to finish the perfect season is the hardest part by far. The Dolphins could do it, the Patriots couldn't.

Today, with the relentless media coverage and goofs like us bitching about them all over the world, the pressure just keeps building and building exponentially every week. The Pats didn't get it done, which, while they were still in my mind a vastly better team, means that they just couldn't finish the ultimate job. They were a better team by almost any measure, but yeah, there's not a lot of justification that their SEASON was better. Because how DO you better perfection?

The '85 Bears, likewise, were a better team than the Dolphins, but not as good as the '07 Patriots. But even their season was better than the Patriots, because their one loss didn't stop them from hoisting the Grail.

If this year's Titans (unlikely, but bear with me) run the table all the way to the Lombardi, then THEIR season is better than the Patriots'. Again, their one loss doesn't cost them the ultimate prize.