Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV

tristy

http://www.ghosts.nin.com

distributed in the same way In Rainbows and The Inevitable Rise & Liberation Of... was, except I think you can only download the first 9 tracks of Volume 1 for free.

It's entirely instrumental. It's apparently music for daydreams. You have the option to torrent it off of official NIN profiles on Waffles, what.cd and The Pirate Bay, as well.

This is how music is released, folks. It wasn't leaked until Reznor WANTED it to be released. That's pretty much unheard of these days.

link should be working now. you're right, i can't find it on the pirate bay, but i did find it on waffles, but it's an invite only site, and i don't have many invites.

if you can get through to the site, you should be able to download directly from the site. it's only the first volume, though. i just ordered the double cd and i'm downloading the actual album now.

EDIT: I've found the Pirate Bay link. Even though it's an official release on TPB by Reznor, I don't know if it's okay to post the link on here.

Edited by Tristof

link should be working now. you're right, i can't find it on the pirate bay, but i did find it on waffles, but it's an invite only site, and i don't have many invites.

if you can get through to the site, you should be able to download directly from the site. it's only the first volume, though. i just ordered the double cd and i'm downloading the actual album now.

EDIT: I've found the Pirate Bay link. Even though it's an official release on TPB by Reznor, I don't know if it's okay to post the link on here.

If he's said it's okay for his material to be distributed as such, it's okay I'd say.

From what I've heard so far, this is awesome, awesome stuff. It sure makes up for the sucktitude that was With Teeth, and the mediocricy that was Year Zero. Even if it is instrumental, I'm loving it just fine.

Fucking amazing stuff. Reznor topped Year Zero for sure.

Instrumental is always fun because you have FREE ability to experiment with all sounds and that sounds like what Reznor is doing here. The first three tracks? Orgasm worthy, ESPECIALLY Ghosts I, Third Track. Man, just so fucked!

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer this to Year Zero, Year Zero had all of maybe three songs that I liked on the entire thing, whereas with with the Ghosts songs I can think of a lot more tracks that I liked. Ghosts I tracks 2, 3, 4, 6, 7.. etc.

Trent should stick to producing hip hop albums for guys who can actually write great lyrics.

...I really... really hope that's a joke. Trent Reznor is an amazing lyricist.

Don't get me wrong...he has a lot to offer, helping younger bands, producing albums for people and the such... but I've personally seen no decline in his ability to write.

Really? I think some of his lyrics are atrocious. Not all of them - I'm not saying that he's a bad writer because some of his stuff is cracking. But he's also had a lot of, IMO, stinkers and especially with his newer stuff, I think he more suits offering his talent to a guy like Saul Williams who is possibly (I'd move the Earth to argue for it) the best lyricist of our time.

I mean, it's a moot point when Ghosts is entirely instrumental but I prefer songs with lyrics as a general rule (unless, as I say, it's background music), but even as a NIN fan, I don't buy into the "Trent is a genius" garb.

Really? I think some of his lyrics are atrocious. Not all of them - I'm not saying that he's a bad writer because some of his stuff is cracking. But he's also had a lot of, IMO, stinkers and especially with his newer stuff, I think he more suits offering his talent to a guy like Saul Williams who is possibly (I'd move the Earth to argue for it) the best lyricist of our time.

I mean, it's a moot point when Ghosts is entirely instrumental but I prefer songs with lyrics as a general rule (unless, as I say, it's background music), but even as a NIN fan, I don't buy into the "Trent is a genius" garb.

I'll go out on a limb and say I'm the biggest NIN fanboy on this board, but I do agree with this sentiment. Some of Trent's lyrics ARE atrocious. A lot of the Pretty Hate Machine album is your now cliche "emo" type stuff, just without the upbeat instrumentation. If anyone has ever heard "Purest Feeling" (the album AND song), it's better than the album that would become Pretty Hate Machine, and is alot more sinister, in my opinion. Even though the title track is a jazzy one, and another song that didn't make the cut on PHM sounds like a Madonna outtake with Reznor's vocals.

The "Broken" EP is your typical "grrr i hate the world!" album, but I think Reznor is good at that type of music, and was the voice of an angry generation that didn't buy into Nirvana or Alice In Chains or what have you. "The Downward Spiral" is an iconic album, if not a tad overrated, but the story behind it and was pretty revolutionary at the time. It had it's "UGH!" moments, though ("Big Man With A Gun", "Eraser", "Closer", etc.)

I think "The Fragile" is a brilliant album, and it's perfect, flaws intact. It was meant to be flawed and still sound beautiful, which is does. That's just me.

Fuck "With Teeth". Take out the Nine Inch Nails name and Reznor's voice, and you'd have generic rock band #5's debut album that everyone would go apeshit over.

Anyway, basically my point is, every artist or band has their downfalls and bad moments, including the supposed genius Trent Reznor. Honestly, I wasn't all that thrilled with Saul Williams' latest album. It's too gimmicky to me, whereas when I first heard about Saul, he was just a straight up hip-hop guy with intelligent lyrics and some beautiful spoken word imagery. Now, he's fuckin' Niggy Tardust, hobo with a feather boa. No thanks.

"Ghosts" is surely not anything we all haven't heard before from any other band. The music is alright, but I think the album(s) get alot of praise because of the way it was distributed and how, for the first time in recent memory, an album by an iconic and still relevant band didn't leak onto the internet. These days, that's quite a feat, I think.

To summarize, this was an unnecessarily long post, and I DO think Trent Reznor is a genius, but all geniuses have their "WTF" moments.

EDIT: @Kou: But he did the scraped soundtrack to "One Hour Photo" with Robin Williams!

Edited by White Power Tristy