Opera

Benji

Ute Lemper's version of Brecht and Weill's "Tango Ballad" is sublime, although not really opera enough in its arrangement. Good starting point, though. In fact, any version of anything by Brecht and Weill, and anything by Ute Lemper, are bloody brilliant, although not all Brecht and Weill stuff is that operatic, I suppose. Or that uplifting, come to think of it. But any version of any of the songs of "The Threepenny Opera" can't go amiss, really.

Also, for a laugh, get the Montserrat Caballé and Bruce Dickinson version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Anything by Puccini is rather good, though I would recommend the entire album of Suor Angelica and the song "O Mio Babbino Caro". I would also recommend the entire album of "Street Scene", think of German opera infused with American Jazz. Awesome stuff, and there's a sextet that's all about Ice Cream.

Rather than making a new thread I'll ask here - I want the opposite end of the spectrum. Give me some more dark, "menacing" sounding opera music.

I'm not exactly sure what classifies as opera music but the entire There Will Be Blood soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood fits dark and menacing perfectly, even if it might not be opera. He's tagged everything from experimental to avant-garde on Last.fm so I couldn't be sure, but the TWBB soundtrack sounds about right for what you want.