Formula One 2008

Katsuya

French motorsport federation, the FFSA, has said there will be no French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours in 2009 while potential new venues are being considered for the future.

The FFSA said it has received six serious proposals for possible sites, among them three in the Paris region and a redevelopment of the existing Magny-Cours facility.

An official revised 2009 calendar is expected to be released by the FIA later this month.

from formula1.com

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather uneventful race today. Hamilton was unthreatened, Raikonnen and Massa didn't really do much...Highlight of the race for me was Kubica's charge through the field. It's a shame he couldn't get up another few places though, would've loved to see him still be in contention come Brazil. I'd like Hamilton to win the world championship now Kubica is out of it.

Government officials from Montreal are due to attend a meeting with Bernie Ecclestone this week in an attempt to save the Canadian Grand Prix.

The race was axed without warning from the 2009 calendar earlier this month, with Formula One commercial rights controller Ecclestone claiming that organisers owed money dating back three years.

Race officials have rejected the suggestion they owe Ecclestone money for the 2006 and 2007 races and are now ready to unveil an "action plan to save the Canadian Grand Prix".

Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay, Raymond Bachand, the Quebec minister for economic development, and Michael Fortier, the federal minister of international trade, are set to meet with Ecclestone in London on Thursday.

The Quebec government has already indicated that it is willing to help with any bail out.

Bachand told the Montreal Gazette: "If we are able to reasonably and responsibly save this event, we will do it.

"The Grand Prix is a big event, it's the biggest tourism event, but how much does it bring in concretely, not only in spinoffs but in cash in our pockets as citizens, as taxpayers?

"I am starting to get some pretty reliable numbers. I am going to negotiate with Mr Ecclestone, so we will keep our cards to ourselves."

I don't think I can see Ecclestone bringing the race back to be honest. Not without drastic changes anyway.

Yeah it's a great track. It'll take a LOT to persuade Bernie though.

Here's another piece of news taken from Planet F1, concerning Martin Brundle's move to BBC for next season.

'FIA unhappy with Brundle's BBC move'

The BBC's decision to employ Martin Brundle as their Formula One commentator for next season has apparently not gone down well with the FIA.

Brundle is set to team up with current Red Bull driver David Coulthard, Jonathan Legard, Lee McKenzie and Jake Humphrey when the BBC takes over the F1 rights from next year.

However, the Daily Mail's Charles Sale claims the powers that be at the FIA are trying to convince the public broadcaster not to employ Brundle as they are still unhappy with him over his Sunday Times opinion piece on Spygate.

The FIA sued the paper for libel last year after Brundle said their "witch-hunt" against McLaren is threatening to the spoil title race.

Sale wrote: "The BBC's signing of Martin Brundle, widely acknowledged as the best Formula One pundit, for their new Grand Prix contract starting in March has not pleased motor sport's rulers.

"It is the talk of the F1 paddock that Alan Donnelly, the official representative at races of FIA chairman Max Mosley, has been trying to dissuade BBC executives from employing Brundle, who has been at odds with the governing body since he questioned their handling of last year's McLaren Spygate affair. "

because Kovalainen is a poor driver who should not be driving a McLaren

FUCK OFF! Don't make asinine comments like this then not back it up, granted Heiki hasn't shown himelf to be a title rival at the top this year but he has been desperately unlucky at times and with a bit more luck would have been up with Kimi or Kubica. Don't make a sweeping comment and not back it up... Heiki beat Coulthard, Alesi a certain German called Michael Schumacher and Sebastein Loeb to win the 2004 Race of Champions, so to not say he is good enough to race a Mclaren is well... wrong...

Yeah it's a great track. It'll take a LOT to persuade Bernie though.

Here's another piece of news taken from Planet F1, concerning Martin Brundle's move to BBC for next season.

'FIA unhappy with Brundle's BBC move'

The BBC's decision to employ Martin Brundle as their Formula One commentator for next season has apparently not gone down well with the FIA.

Brundle is set to team up with current Red Bull driver David Coulthard, Jonathan Legard, Lee McKenzie and Jake Humphrey when the BBC takes over the F1 rights from next year.

However, the Daily Mail's Charles Sale claims the powers that be at the FIA are trying to convince the public broadcaster not to employ Brundle as they are still unhappy with him over his Sunday Times opinion piece on Spygate.

The FIA sued the paper for libel last year after Brundle said their "witch-hunt" against McLaren is threatening to the spoil title race.

Sale wrote: "The BBC's signing of Martin Brundle, widely acknowledged as the best Formula One pundit, for their new Grand Prix contract starting in March has not pleased motor sport's rulers.

"It is the talk of the F1 paddock that Alan Donnelly, the official representative at races of FIA chairman Max Mosley, has been trying to dissuade BBC executives from employing Brundle, who has been at odds with the governing body since he questioned their handling of last year's McLaren Spygate affair. "

I for one couldn't give a toss what the FIA say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion in a public forum and I agreed with Brundle at the time the title race was being threatened by the investigation. The fact that Brundle is the best pundit around and always has something interesting to say means I am extremely happy the BBC picked up the man for next season.

because Kovalainen is a poor driver who should not be driving a McLaren

FUCK OFF! Don't make asinine comments like this then not back it up, granted Heiki hasn't shown himelf to be a title rival at the top this year but he has been desperately unlucky at times and with a bit more luck would have been up with Kimi or Kubica. Don't make a sweeping comment and not back it up... Heiki beat Coulthard, Alesi a certain German called Michael Schumacher and Sebastein Loeb to win the 2004 Race of Champions, so to not say he is good enough to race a Mclaren is well... wrong...

I admit it was wrong of me to say that judging on this season alone and maybe next year will be a better one for him but I do think there are better people to put in the McLaren than him.

I'll be honest, I'd prefer someone like Rosberg or Kubica driving the McLaren. But, Kovalainen is hardly bad. He's a great driver, and, as said, you can't say he isn't good enough to drive a McLaren, because as has also been said he's beaten people like Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard and Jean Aleisi in the past. Okay, in different types of cars, but too out race those experienced drivers you have to be pretty damn good. He's been plagued with problems and unluckiness; he'll be better next season and McLaren will have stronger chances in the constructors championship no doubt. That's been McLaren's problem in the constructors table, the last time they acutally retained both drivers during the close season before now was 2005-2006. Consistency within the driver set up should prove invaluable.

And I agree about the FIA/Brundle story. He's the best pundit going and the BBC would've been daft to not lure him away. The FIA are acting stupidly about this. It was a year ago and it's all blown over now; get over it!

Edited by The King Of Awesomeness

I'll be honest, I'd prefer someone like Rosberg or Kubica driving the McLaren. But, Kovalainen is hardly bad. He's a great driver, and, as said, you can't say he isn't good enough to drive a McLaren, because as has also been said he's beaten people like Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard and Jean Aleisi in the past. Okay, in different types of cars, but too out race those experienced drivers you have to be pretty damn good. He's been plagued with problems and unluckiness; he'll be better next season and McLaren will have stronger chances in the constructors championship no doubt. That's been McLaren's problem in the constructors table, the last time they acutally retained both drivers during the close season before now was 2005-2006. Consistency within the driver set up should prove invaluable.

And I agree about the FIA/Brundle story. He's the best pundit going and the BBC would've been daft to not lure him away. The FIA are acting stupidly about this. It was a year ago and it's all blown over now; get over it!

I forgot to mention the car that Kovalainen beat Schumacher in is an exact copy of one of Schumey's own Ferraris, that made me chuckle the most when I found out

Yeah I meant just behind him in qualifying times, directly behind him on the grid is Alonso ;)

Edit: Apparently Massa wasn't light! He certainly looked it, he was miles clear of everyone else.

Edited by - Matt -

Yeah but this time he was miles faster than the rest of the field - an amazing lap if he really was on an average fuel load.

If Kovalainen was to pull over at the end of the race to let Hamilton finishes 5th, would it stand?

Of course. Barrichello once handed over a victory to Schumacher doing the same thing. I really hope Massa can hold this and win the race, then we'll see if Hamilton makes any of his usual mistakes. Having Kovalainen with him will be handy, but Alonso will look to put paid to Hamilton, it's not even a secret that he'd much rather see Ferrari (or indeed anybody) win the title over McLaren.

Of course. Barrichello once handed over a victory to Schumacher doing the same thing. I really hope Massa can hold this and win the race, then we'll see if Hamilton makes any of his usual mistakes. Having Kovalainen with him will be handy, but Alonso will look to put paid to Hamilton, it's not even a secret that he'd much rather see Ferrari (or indeed anybody) win the title over McLaren.

I knew that, and had it in mind when I asked, I'd have thought the FIA might have put some sort of rule in to prevent it happening again.

Well, I wasn't sure until Raikkonen moved aside to let Massa take second in one of the last few races. Obviously nothing was put in place but its like they said, it's a team sport and the second driver is trying to do all he can to help his teammate win with him out of the race for the title.