Formula One 2008

Katsuya

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I just realized something - no more Coulthard means no more drivers who've been in F1 longer than I've been following it. I remember when both Trulli and Fischicella were rookies. :(

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when DC was a rookie coming in to replace Ayrton Senna in 1994! Hell I remember Hill's first (full) season in 1993 in the Williams, I also remember Schumacher driving for Benenton in 1992 fucking amazing season with Nigel Mansell dicking on everybody, god I feel old now...

Something VERY dodgy happened there if you ask me, Glock slowed down incredibly towards the end of the lap, but seemed to regain speed once Hamilton took over.

Bollocks. Although Glock was on the wrong tyres, let's not forget that he was on those tyres for at least twenty laps before the end. They would've been incredibly worn anyway no matter the weather conditions.

Yeah but it did happen drastically towards the end of that lap. But apparently, I've been told today, Glock was also struggling to keep control and had to slow down to stay on the road, which makes sense and explains it.

Even if he's not a cheating cunt, he's a very lucky cunt to have got the win :P Although overall he deserved to win because the Spa punishment was harsh.

If you look on the shot immediately after Hamilton takes Glock, and he's heading up the hill, you can actually see him (Glock) kind of lose it on the way up the hill. He twitches and gets passed by another car that's already been lapped by him. Oh, and Trulli, if I'm not mistaken, didn't stop for inters and was only 3 seconds behind Hamilton shortly after he was passed by Vettel, but finished behind Kovalainen in the end (who did stop for tyres).

• 5 weeks later...

Source BBC Sport:

Honda will quit Formula One on Friday, BBC Sport understands.

The Japanese car manufacturer is set to announce that it is selling its team, with a view to closing the team down by the end of March if no buyer is found.

Sources told BBC Sport the team were "optimistic" they would continue, but no investor had yet been found.

However, according to the Reuters news agency, team bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry fear Honda could close the team within weeks.

According to a Reuters source, Brawn and Fry told a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association: "They have a month to find a buyer, otherwise they are closing the team."

Honda, who recently cut road vehicle production as a response to the global economic crisis, are expected to make an announcement regarding the team's future at 0500 GMT on Friday.

The Japanese giant's F1 team endured a deeply disappointing 2008 season on the track, earning just 14 points, leaving them the lowest of the nine points-scoring teams.

In turn Britain's Jenson Button, who drives for Honda, found himself ranked 18th in the drivers' list, contributing only three points.

Only four drivers, each without a point to their name, ranked below him. Team-mate Rubens Barrichello earned the remaining 11 points.

Honda initially entered F1 as a constructor in the 1960s, withdrawing at the end of 1968.

The company returned to F1 in the 1980s as an engine supplier, then purchased a stake in the BAR team from British American Tobacco in 2004.

Honda bought out British American Tobacco in 2005 to form the Honda team for the 2006 season.

While the team finished fourth in the 2006 constructors' championship, they have since struggled to make an impact.

Shocking and gutting, I for one am very saddened... It begs the questions of what is next for Jensen Button, Rubens Barrichello and Ross Brawn (just to pick out the obvious names)?

Jenson Button may find himself on the starting grid for next season's opening race in Melbourne with a new team after Honda said they were willing to release him from his contract.

The Briton is facing an uncertain future in Formula One after Honda announced on Friday that they are pulling out of the sport due to the global financial crisis.

Button has been with the Brackley-based outfit since 2003 and Honda only recently revealed that they reached an agreement with the 28-year-old for a new multi-year deal.

However, following Friday's announcement that they have withdrawn with immediate effect, Honda chairman and CEO Takeo Fukui said they are willing to renegotiate his contract.

"We had a deal with Button and we are going to restart the talks to undo that contract," he said.

Situation

Team principal Ross Brawn said he would "understand" should Button decide to leave Honda F1, who are currently looking for new owners.

"We will have to discuss his situation, now and ongoing. If Jenson gets an opportunity I am sure we will sit down and see what the situation here is and what the opportunity he has got," he told autosport.com.

"Given that he is part of the team, I don't think he will rush off and make that decision without discussing it with us.

"We will keep an open dialogue. If we can keep him here we will be delighted but we also understand that it is very difficult for an F1 driver to miss a season - unlike engineers."

Meanwhile, The Guardian has reported that the only team yet to confirm their 2009 driver line-up, Toro Rosso, could invite Button to test with them at Jerez next week.

The bolded point is what I'm posting for. This race for the Toro Rosso seat is getting interesting. I still think it'll be Sato and Buemi, but if this indeed happens I think Jenson will pip one of them.

Also, is it not time to start the 2009 thread? Seeing as this is all build up?

• 2 months later...

Well, everything for 09 is pretty much confirmed, bar the Honda mystery.

Ferrari: Raikkonen / Massa

McLaren: Hamilton / Kovalainen

Renault: Alonso / Piquet

BMW: Kubica / Heidfeld

Red Bull: Webber / Vettel

Toyota: Trulli / Glock

Toro Rosso: Bourdais / Buemi

Force India: Fisichella / Sutil

Williams: Rosberg / Nakajima

??Honda: Button / (Barrichello or Senna)??

...So, in other words, nothing has changed, bar Buemi turning up and Vettel making the jump. Well, nothing's changed with the teams, but everybody's now got massive front wings at the front of their cars that'll make them like dodgems. And KERS. Which, apparently, only BMW have got working right now. Oh, and we can all celebrate the super-fun Abu Dhabi GP which is randomly at the end of the season, when it'd fit much better in with Bahrain & Malaysia, really...

Oh, and I think I'm right in saying that Bernie's stupid medal plan never got the go ahead, which is YAY. And they finally got rid of the stupid ass "lol, run out of fuel or get a penalty" rule in terms of the Safety Car.

*sigh*...this could either be the most farcical season of F1 ever, or one of the best. I have a feeling it'll be the former.

• 4 weeks later...
Honda team to return as Brawn GP

The former Honda Formula One team has been saved and will contest the 2009 season as Brawn GP.

The Honda Motor Company Limited and ex-Honda boss Ross Brawn have reached agreement to preserve the team.

Britain's Jenson Button and Brazilian veteran Rubens Barrichello, last year's Honda line-up, will continue to drive for the British-based team.

Brawn GP will use Mercedes engines when the new F1 season starts in Australia on 29 March.

Honda pulled out of F1 in December as a result of the global financial crisis, leaving the British-based outfit to search desperately for a buyer.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7927488.stm

Glad to see they'll at least make the start of the season.

I have high hopes for this season actually. More competition has been promised, so let's hope we get it. This 'McLaren vs Ferrari + Everyone else' is getting boring.

Maybe it's time for a new thread too?

You know I was reading up on this thread, and already after seeing it still said 2008 I figured.. isn't it about time to start an 09 one seeming as it's what.. 2 weeks away ?