2008 MLB Season

sahyder1

So who's everyone picking in the Derby tonight?

I've got on my Devil Rays Josh Hamilton J-shirt, which used to be funny, but then he went and stopped smoking crack and being a gigantic bust. Now he's only a minor one, but I'm still throwing my support behind him

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Halladay, at the All-Star Game media scrum, has said some stuff about the Blue Jays that should really resonate with the fans. It is frustrating to have everyone in the city of Toronto hype up the team as a competitor and then watch it fail. He is getting less then market value and is frustrated that he has not seen his team become good enough to compete, even though he has been putting in good season after good season.

Bah, what bullshit. They should keep cumulative totals throughout. Did Morneau even hit 28 homers total? If your total can't beat a guy's first round score you shouldn't be allowed to win.

Bullshit? Did Hamilton not know the rules coming in? Did he not know that he'd have to start over in the finals when he blew his load in the first round? Seems like he probably did. Good for Justin.

Bah, what bullshit. They should keep cumulative totals throughout. Did Morneau even hit 28 homers total? If your total can't beat a guy's first round score you shouldn't be allowed to win.

Morneau did not his 28 HRs total....the end result doesn't matter. I mean Morneau was one of the 3 guys I really cared to root for anyways along with Hamilton and Longoria. Ten years from now when you talk about the HR Derby you'll remember this round from Hamilton just the way people talk about Sosa in Milwaukee, McGwire at Fenway, etc.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Roy Halladay, at the All-Star Game media scrum, has said some stuff about the Blue Jays that should really resonate with the fans. It is frustrating to have everyone in the city of Toronto hype up the team as a competitor and then watch it fail. He is getting less then market value and is frustrated that he has not seen his team become good enough to compete, even though he has been putting in good season after good season.

Halladay on a winning team would be a first-ballot hall of famer. Halladay on the 00 Jays will be lucky to get in at all.

I've got on my Devil Rays Josh Hamilton J-shirt, which used to be funny, but then he went and stopped smoking crack and being a gigantic bust. Now he's only a minor one, but I'm still throwing my support behind him

...minor one? He's not a bust at all anymore, now that he's clean. He started to prove that he was still talented last year and he's carried over to this year, having a monster year and if the season were to end today, he would be the AL MVP, or at least should be.

Guest Offbeat Bareass

Looking at how the schedules shake out the rest of the season I don't see the Rays climbing back atop the AL East. Especially if the Red Sox get a healthy David Ortiz or Mark Texiera in a trade and some help in the bullpen. However, they are still a scary playoff team with their pitching. Hopefully they get beat out by the Twins or the A's.

...minor one? He's not a bust at all anymore, now that he's clean. He started to prove that he was still talented last year and he's carried over to this year, having a monster year and if the season were to end today, he would be the AL MVP, or at least should be.

How'd he do for the team that drafted him? He's a steal for the Rangers, a bust for the Rays, absolutely.

Guest Offbeat Bareass

Hamilton was to the Rays what Len Bias was to the Celtics. He could not have been less of a bust if he died of a drug overdose. Except now he is what Len Bias would be if he was brought back to life and became Paul Pierce for another team.

Not sure if that analogy even works, but it seemed to make sense when I wrote it.

Maxx, there's a difference though between being a bust and not working out for the team that drafted you. It happens all the time in sports, where a guy doesn't work out for one team, gets released, but ends up thriving in a different environment. An extreme example of this is Chauncey Billups in the NBA. He's not a bust, but he certainly didn't work out for teams that he was on prior to the Pistons.

All-Star game right now. Nothing much so far.

Sheets going well.

Cliff Lee showing that the Indians season isn't all for naught.

And Tim McCarver constantly interrupting Yogi Berra because he's borderline retarded. McCarver I mean.

Edited by VinnyT