Bands that sound like Foals

Turbo Yannis

Before you move on, make sure you've heard Astronauts n' All. And do you have a decent copy of Mathletics?...

Also while I'm still being no help, don't neccessarily look for math rock artists, since Foals aren't really are - but they're dubbed as being it, and like.. have maths references in songs and on instruments... but they don't call themselves math rock.

Just.. so you know >_>

EDIT: Also what are you looking for specifically - more electronic songs or songs with the intricate kinda riffs?

Edited by IAceI

...they sound fuck all like "Battles". I'm sorry. And this coming from someone who generally fucking hates "Battles" and really quite likes "Foals". Foals wish they were as quirky/artsy/'innovative' as Battles were. The ONLY similarity is the fact they're both 'riff' driven bands...but sound wise, they're fuck all the same.

And people who call them math-rock can suck my fucking dick clean off...are they fuck a math rock...the prerequisite for a math rock band is a band with complex riff structures and FUCKING ABOUT WITH TIME SIGNATURES...okay..."Tron" goes into "3/4" (although, I had a big arguement with someone about how the end of the 'phrase' in the chorus it merely just changes syncopation not time signature...but it does change for a while in the middle) and I believe "Two Steps, Twice" starts in "3/4" too...or it might be "6/8"...but there's no real distinct 'down beat'...fuck it, I'm thinking too much...what's my point...erm...I admit the fact they're 'riff' based you could argue they've got a certain influence from there...but the fact the band don't have a fucking clue what 'math rock' is, kind of negates that....just because you're a strong 'riff' based band, doesn't make you math-rock. For example "A Wilhelm Scream", a HEAVILY riff related band, so much so than "Foals", absolutely no way in hell will they ever be labelled math-rock.

It's purely because "Foals" put across this artsy exterior...but at the end of the day...they're a fucking indie-rock band...nothing more nothing less...with actually, pretty fucking AWFUL lyrics...fuck literature meanings or whatever...because you lift shit from literature, and make obtuse as fuck, repeating lyrics, that fucking suck...the fact you lifted them from literature or whatever doesn't negate the fact the lyrics to your tunes actually fucking suck. But then again, I must admit to singing along to "Cassius" and "Balloons" on occasion...so sod it...it works. :shifty:

To be honest, artsy wise..."Foals" don't even have anything on "Los Campesinos!", it's a perfect way where a 'look' and 'hype' can really blur your vision of a band...to be fair...that was why it took me so long to actually enjoy "Antidotes" in some way shape or form...as it was so different to what I was actually expecting.

Yeah...whether you like it, or want to admit it...the closest thing, in the top of my head to Foals is sodding Bloc Party. Yes, Bloc Party don't have the riffs that Foals have, with the 'guitar' work in the background (although they have some)...but the sounds...so similar. Even the way the singer's syncopate some words, whilst their accents are definately different, the way things are sung are so similar. Songs like "Red Sock Pugie", the middle part of "Tron", even "Cassius"...are so Bloc Party. Both bands are built heavily on the dance-rock style of indie...anyone who says they can't hear a similary...fuck you...as I just wrote all that shit at half four in the morning for absolutely no fucking reason.

Metalman has the right idea, you really don't have to look that far for similar bands...a lot of the current indie scene is the exact same. I'm not really getting the Fugazi similarity to be fair, sound wise...technique wise, with the guitars, yes...but as I already said, I personally feel as though there's a big difference between bands with similar elements than bands who sound the same......but recommending Fugazi is awesome, so I'll agree. :shifty: And I've always wanted to enjoy Shitdisco, they have an awesome name...but they sound so bad on their myspace, I really don't want to risk a

Edited by YI