Video Games With The Best Soundtracks

OGpistolpete

Playing THPS3 and 4, it got me thinking to about which video games have the best soundtracks.

THPS3 did have 'If You Must' by Del The Funkee Homosapian, which is fucking amazing.

But THPS4 beats it out just for the fact it holds 'Mass Appeal' by Gang Starr, 'Whenimondamic' by Lootpack, and 'Oodles of O's' by De La Soul.

What other games have great soundtracks? I remember Saints Row have a pretty decent soundtrack with a few songs I think are great, along with some of the Grand Theft Auto games which get their hands on many great tracks from the time era.

EDIT: I didn't know whether to post this in Music or the Coin Op forum, but I posted it here in Music because we are talking about the music of the game rather than the aspects. If any staff feel this should be in the Video Games section instead, please move it.

Edited by SKA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always like Gran Turismo when they had Feeder on. And stuff like FIFA, NHL 0#, Madden always have decent soundtracks. NHL has the cool rock music, Madden has the mix between the rockier stuff and the shitty rap, and unfortunately NBA 0# is just shitty rap. But hey, what do you expect?

The Silent Hill series. Akira Yamaoka's songs fit the mood of the game perfectly and those in cooperation with Melissa Williamson, a.k.a. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn are brilliant. The Prince Of Persia trilogy's soundtracks were also great, but I still prefer the Silent Hill ones.

EDIT: Just remembered another great one. Devil May Cry 3.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

The Katamari soundtracks are indeed some of the best soundtracks you'll find anywhere - extensive, eccentric, and FUCKING MENTAL. Plus, anything that includes Dokaka is fine by me, especially when another song on the same soundtrack includes the line "I wanna wad you up into my life, let's roll up to make a single sky in the star". Genius.

OK, MISTER SUNSHINE~!

No competition, Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari. The original in particular has an absolutely incredible soundtrack.
You misspelt "Final Fantasy IX" and "Final Fantasy VI"

:P

And you misspelled Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Mario 64.

Seriously, DKC2 had an awesome soundtrack. Go back and play it again. It was terrific.

There's a skateboarding game on the playstation 1, can't remember it's name however (not Tony Hawks or skate and destory) and that had a wicked soundtrack.

But of all time, had to be the soundtrack to the FIFA games. Always impressive.

As far as licensed tracks go, GTA hands down. From the Scarface/parody central GTA3 soundtrack to the licensed songs in VC and San An, I have always liked at least 3-5 songs in each of the games which is more than can be said for the other games that followed GTAs formula(Heres looking at you Saints Row)

As for original soundtracks, ignoring all the classic games such as Mario, Sonic, Zelda(all of which have amazing theme songs) I'm going to have to say I listened to the MGS2 main theme too many times for it not to be one of my favorite video game songs... being able to play that on guitar is one of my proudest achievements :)