Summer Films

Benji

Just thought it'd be interesting to get a bit of film discussion going for this season of blockbusters, once again it's a year of sequels, but at least most of them look to be interesting sequels. What's everybody most hyped for? Like the geek I am my order probably goes like this...

1. Incredible Hulk

2. The Dark Knight

3. Iron Man

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

5. Speed Racer

6. Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

7. Tropic Thunder

With various others coming afterward. I don't know why Hulk has me more excited than the other two superhero films, I think it's because I haven't seen nearly as much of it (plus Edward Norton). Whatever the reason, if this year doesn't do wonders for Downey's career, nothing will since he's appearing in two of my most wanted films.

Just going out of things you didn't type:

Hellboy 2

You don't mess with Zohan (If just because I know it'll be worth a couple cheap laughs)

Wall-E (HUGE expectations for this)

Get Smart (PLEASE don't screw this up!)

Wanted (Looks sort of generic at a glance, but the trailer gives it hope)

Hancock (Looks goofy as all hell! Will Smith is super-hero hobo)

Meet Dave ( It's Eddie Murphy, but early word is it's looking to be better than most of the junk he's put out in the last 5-7 years)

Step Brothers (More of a $1 movie, but it shouldn't be horrible)

Pineapple Express (Another Apatow film that I hope doesn't try to hard)

The International (Clive Owen acting like 007, but obviously not 007, probably another $1 film)

I'll order mine as well.

1. The Dark Knight

2. Pineapple Express

3. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

4. Speed Racer

5. The Incredible Hulk

6. Iron Man

7. Hancock

8. Get Smart

9. Indiana Jones

10. Step Brothers

Man, this Summer is going to be great for movies. While those are my top 10 there are still quite a few I'd like to see, almost like there's one every week until the Summer ends.

I've never been interested in Iron Man and probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it unless I would of seen the trailer. I've been looking forward to The Dark Knight ever since I saw the ending of Batman Begins so that gets my top billing. The cast that has been put together is immense and hopefully it gets a positive critical response and sets the bar even higher for future superhero movie incarnations and with Christopher Nolan on board I can't see why it wont. Cue the ordering:

1. The Dark Knight

2. Indy 4

3. Iron Man

4. Incredible Hulk

5. Speed Racer

Edited by brenchill

I'm surprised not many are looking forward to what I think is going to be one of the biggest films of the year...WALL-E, it just looks epic PIXAR, and I just adored Finding Nemo, and the director from that is helming this. And looking at there track record, the only underwhelming Pixar film was Cars, but even that was tolerable. Anyway my list would go like this:

1.) Wall-E

2.) The Dark Knight

3.) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull

4.) Iron Man

5.) Prince Caspian

6.) Pineanpple Express

7.) Get Smart

8.) Hellboy 2

9.) Speed Racer

10.) Hancock

I'll be there opening day for all these films, and hoping for the best as I have high expectations for all of them. Looks like its going to be a great summer after a very underwhelming first quarter of 2008 (One of the worst in a long time IMO) with regards to film.

Maybe it's my cynicism coming into play here, but there's not much I'd say I'm really looking forward to this season. I'm curious to see Step Brothers and Pineapple Express and I keep forgetting that Dark Knight and Iron Man are out this summer, too. Get Smart might be funny, but this summer has a lot of probable shit tossed around in it, too. The Love Guru? The craptacular-looking Zohan? Meet Dave? The Longshots (with Fred Durst directing and Ice Cube starring)? I'm still very lukewarm on the summer's movies.

Edited by ROC

You mentioned 4 comedies that nobody expects anything of, really and you don't think there's anything coming out this summer?

That's not even cynicism, you're just gay. :shifty:

Some people expect a little out of Zohan, like yourself. :shifty:

And I mean, I don't like the list of the pow-bang actioners. I never really got into the Indy franchise, Iron Man could be cool but it's already got the problem of having to create the story of a franchise, which I don't tend to like so much. Speed Racer is silly fun, but it's also bad LSD trip. Wanted I don't have much of an opinion on. And Tropic Thunder doesn't have much I'm liking, other than Rob Downey Jr. in blackface.

Edited by ROC

I expect a little out of it because Apatow is involved and Sandler hasn't written any of his roles since Little Nicky (8 Crazy Nights is animated so I'll leave that one out for this) but I'm not going to hold my breath over it because I can see how it'll suck but I can also see where it could be good.

Then again, I'm not a cynical bastard like you. <_<

I expect a little out of it because Apatow is involved and Sandler hasn't written any of his roles since Little Nicky (8 Crazy Nights is animated so I'll leave that one out for this) but I'm not going to hold my breath over it because I can see how it'll suck but I can also see where it could be good.

Yeah. Wait till November and Quantum of Solace baby! :D

The movies Apatow is involved in without Apatow regulars are shit like "Fun With Dick and Jane", "Celtic Pride" and "The Cable Guy". Seriously, next to no one expects anything out of this one except for Sandler fans, and even though I'm occasionally an apologist for him (I genuinely liked "Click", for instance), this doesn't even look good by Happy Madison standards, much less Apatowverse-worthy.

Yeah. Wait till November and Quantum of Solace baby! :D

I can't, that's the problem. If this topic were about movies coming out this year, that almost certainly would be either 2nd or 3rd on my list.

And I don't expect Zohan to be anything amazing but I do think it'll be better than what a lot of people are predicting right now and it'll be a decent comedy.

Then again, a lot of my optimism might be coming from the fact that Emanuelle Chriqui is in it. :shifty: