The 2008/09 TV Season Thread

Ananas

I read Wikipedia, it states The Office US has a 5th series.

The 4th series ended on 14 episodes, due to the strike it should have went to 25 or something. Will those episodes be aired?

Or is the 5th series the spin-off and completely new?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Wikipedia, it states The Office US has a 5th series.

The 4th series ended on 14 episodes, due to the strike it should have went to 25 or something. Will those episodes be aired?

What episodes? They only made fourteen because of the strike (though if you wanted to get really technical you could say that they sort of made nineteen due to the five double episodes this season), presumably season five will be a full season much as the second and third seasons were and the fourth was supposed to be.

• 4 months later...

So now that we're a month into the TV season, thoughts so far? Seems like this is the weakest crop of freshman programs in recent memory. Not a standout program across the networks. I'd have a hard time even giving the nod to the season's best new program, although it'd either be "True Blood" on HBO or "Fringe" on FOX if I had to pick. Saw the first episode of "Kath & Kim", and I guess I'm probably one of the only people who was pleasantly surprised. I'd say that the show is just so wacky, ridiculous and over the top that most of the criticisms are null and void. Yes, the jokes are one dimensional and the characters are cardboard cutouts. I was of the understanding that, at least by this particular version's standards, this was sort of the point. I don't know how the second episode went, but I dug the pilot and will continue to follow for the time being.

Also, TV industry website TV By the Numbers has an interesting chart called the "Renew/Cancel Index". It takes the network shows' numbers in the 18-49 demographic and compares it to their network's average, meaning that any number higher than 1.0 is more valuable to the network the show airs on and thus a likely renewal, and the further below 1.0 one goes increases the possibility of cancellation. And the news from this season so far isn't good. Among the likely cancellations: "Life" (0.53), "Pushing Daisies" (0.63), "Dirty Sexy Money" (0.69), "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (0.81), "Chuck" (0.85) and "Prison Break" (0.88). I don't know if I'd agree with "Prison Break" being on the list due to its strong performance internationally and on DVD, but the early indication is that we're going to see a lot of sophomore casualties this year. What with the utter failure creatively of the freshman crop, this is not good news. For the record, the safest bets for renewal from each network according to this list: "CSI" on CBS (2.27), "Grey's Anatomy" on ABC (2.15), "90210" on The CW (1.75), "House" on FOX (1.70) and "The Office" on NBC (1.65)

If NBC cancel Chuck I will go kamikaze on their asses. :angry: Chuck was wonderful last season and is wonderful this season.

I've never seen the British version and I really wanted to like the show, but it was just terrible. I understand the whole cheesy 70s cop show aspect, Harvey Keitel is great, but the rest of the show is just... dumb.

Edited by Zero

So far I've only seen the pilot, but I didn't mind it.

And anyone concerned about Sarah Conner need not be yet, as Fox ordered a full season. It might no make it past this season, but they at leat plan to air a full 22 episodes.

I'd also like to give a thumbs up to "Crusoe". It wasn't mindblowing (nothing this year is), but it was plenty of fun and if it maintained my interest over a 2 hour premiere, I'd imagine it will maintain it on a weekly episodic basis.