Are next gen consoles killing the gaming experience?

Docpepper

I really don't want to warn anybody here, so please play nice... we're talking about video games here, not something gravely serious like abortion or professional wrestling.

I'm talking about Xbox Live achievements. There not that much of a hindrance since they're completely optional, but I just can't help but play for them, at the expense of having fun with a game. For example, whenever I look at my stack of games deciding what I should play, I'll think something similar too 'Should I play Lost Odyssey, that's fun...but, I still need to get that achievement on Skate, where I stand around for 3 hours..' So of course, instead of just playing Lost Odyssey and having some fun, I end up skating around in circles for 3 hours.

That's your own fault for being obsessive compulsive :P

Pah all this installing is ruining the simple pleasures of gaming. How i long for the days when I sat in front of my tape drive waiting five minutes for it to load......if indeed it didnt crash first.....kids today huh.....

Ah the Spectrum. I think I had Rainbow Islands for that. God even with two players that shit was hard.

I think as games get more and more complicated and widespread that there will be a lot more elements that don't sit well with people. Multiplayer-only games and Achievements might not be attractive to plenty of gamers, but they're inevitable in an industry that's now appealing to a far larger number of people. There are thousands of games being designed that I'll never have an interest in playing, but there are more than enough that I can keep myself entertained.

The game installations and firmware updates really aren't that bad, we just have to get used to them. I remember when I first got a 360 that the wireless controllers and sign-in system seemed ridiculously clumsy, but they're now second nature.

I find there's a certain aesthetic to recent games that's lacking with a lot of recent titles.

This doesn't make sense. Break the sentence down - 'there's a certain aesthetic to recent games' meaning that they possess a certain style 'that's lacking in a lot of recent titles.' Unless you're trying to say that there's a dominant aesthetic to recent games that 'a lot' of recent titles don't possess, then the sentence doesn't make sense. You're saying that recent games have a certain style that recent games are lacking. I assume that you meant 'I find there's a certain aesthetic to recent games that's lacking.'

I didn't compare shit. Learn to read. And albeit literally means, "although". I never misuse it, overuse maybe, not misuse.

And did I say you said Goldeneye was better? Nope. In fact, I said what you just did, so good job.

Albeit, you could fuck off and not read my posts and that would just be peachy.

:rolleyes:

No, albeit has a different meaning to 'although' even though the latter can sometimes be substituted in its place. A better definition is 'although it is' - albeit is purely comparative so you can't use it as you did in your last sentence.

Edited by -A-

Time for stokerino to make one of his brief Grammar Nazi appearances. :shifty:

'Albeit' is literally a shortening of 'although be it' - an old English way of saying 'although it is' - and is used when qualifying one statement with another. Most commonly this will be found mid-sentence, between two adjectives ("the flowers are colourful, albeit a litte wilted"), or at the start of a setence to precede the first of the two statements ("albeit beyond my means to afford a car, a motorbike might well be possible").

It is usually quite easy to tell whether it fits in a sentence by substituting the full 'although it is/although they are' in its place and seeing if it still makes sense. "The flowers are colourful, although they are a littled wilted" makes sense. "Although it is beyond my means to afford a car...etc." makes sense. "Although it is you could fuck off" does not make sense. >_>

Edited by Gul Stokeriño

Time for stokerino to make one of his brief Grammar Nazi appearances. :shifty:

'Albeit' is literally a shortening of 'although be it' - an old English way of saying 'although it is' - and is used when qualifying one statement with another. Most commonly this will be found mid-sentence, between two adjectives ("the flowers are colourful, albeit a litte wilted"), or at the start of a setence to precede the first of the two statements ("albeit beyond my means to afford a car, a motorbike might well be possible").

It is usually quite easy to tell whether it fits in a sentence by substituting the full 'although it is/although they are' in its place and seeing if it still makes sense. "The flowers are colourful, although they are a littled wilted" makes sense. "Although it is beyond my means to afford a car...etc." makes sense. "Although it is you could fuck off" does not make sense. >_>

I love Stok >_>.