We Are Scientists

TMM

So I've just been given a free ticket to see them by a mate...what are the like? I have heard of them, but my knowledge goes no further than that. I haven't heard anything by them (as far as I know). So who wants to tell me about them? Oh, and what's the venue like?

Listen to everything as far as With Love and Squalor, and love them. Then listen to the new shitfest album, and don't go to the gig (Presuming they'll be playing more new stuff than old).

Agreed, though you might want to give "Chick Lit" and "Impatience" a listen, two redeeming features of aforementioned shitfest album.

I got to see them live opening for The Arctic Monkeys. (free ticket, trip to Toronto, I figured I might as well)

Anyway, they're a pretty fun band live (granted four years ago was when I saw them live), but they don't really have any songs that you'll remember. Just hope they play their old stuff I guess, 'cause their new stuff is shit? I've only heard stuff from three or four years ago since that's when I went to the concert. Good band. Not great, not awful either. That's the best way to explain them, basically.

Edited by Will.

I fucking love WAS. I saw them on Saturday and got 3 from the front and went fucking mental. They done Inaction. It was amazing.

I'm even starting to like Brain Thrust Mastery. Chick Lit, After Hours, Lethal Enforcer, Altered Beast, Let's See It and Impatience are actually really good tunes after you've heard them a few times.

Edited by RingysScottishNegro

They're really not. Maybe the do them well live, but on record, I really don't like it, it doesn't suit them. Maybe if somebody else had released that album, I wouldn't mind it so much, but it seems such a depature from their other stuff.

As for not having songs you'll remember...what? I don't think there's a bad track on With Love & Squalor. EVERYONE knows Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt, and I'd be willing to bet a majority would know The Great Escape and It's a Hit too.

They're really not. Maybe the do them well live, but on record, I really don't like it, it doesn't suit them. Maybe if somebody else had released that album, I wouldn't mind it so much, but it seems such a depature from their other stuff.

As for not having songs you'll remember...what? I don't think there's a bad track on With Love & Squalor. EVERYONE knows Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt, and I'd be willing to bet a majority would know The Great Escape and It's a Hit too.

Now, yes, but I'm basing my experience off of four years ago, when they opened for The Arctic Monkeys. Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt is certainly memorable, though.

The rest I'd assume so too, but again, I'm basing my experience off of them four years ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

That was my problem with the new album at first aswell. I do agree though that when you compare it to Love and Squalor it doesn't hold up in the slightest.

The best way to enjoy Brain Thrust Mastery is not to think of it as a WAS album, which is admittedly is very frustrating.

I'm clearly in a huge minority who thinks its alright then. I'd always thought of the first one as nothing more than a fairly good album and I see the second one as more of the same really, some nice singles with a bit of filler attached. Live however they are superb, and a second album allowing them more catchy ones to play has helped this on. Add in the intersong banter and you'd be a fool to miss it.

They're actually playing M'Boro again next month so I can make it 3 times in a year very shortly.

Can't wait to see them this year at Reading. Judging by the sets they've been doing at Glasto/T recently there's a good amount of With Love & Squalor being thrown in. I think every will agree (and it appears as though they have above) that it's the better album, but I'm slowly getting into the second, not as instant an impact but it grows with time.

If I remember right, they done about 4 songs from Brain Thrust Mastery and the rest of it was from Love and Squalor. They only had 40 minutes at T so it could be different if they're doing longer sets.