Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Don't forget Fulham have been pretty good at home recently. But yeah, Gomes costs us again by the sound of it. There's not really much we can do until January because I doubt either of our back-ups will be able to play any better (and one of them's about a bazillion years old). I say keep Gomes in and if he's still costing us games come January see if we can find better in the transfer market. Would need to be a really good goalkeeper, though. Preferably a proven EPL goalie.

To throw some names around I really wouldn't be surprised for Shay Given to just say "fuck this I'm leaving". He knows that the club are seriously underprepared about the future without him yet haven't bothered about the situation. He'll be retired in a year or two and all his hard work of keeping the Toon up will be futile, he might end his career on a hight note despite how much it pains me to say this.

Failing that I'm sure there're plenty of reserve goalkeepers throughout the league who'd do the job better than Gomez, say what you want about Hilario but he's still a better keeper than him. Although getting any goalkeeper from a top four (or pushing for Europe... or borderline relegation) team wouldn't be smart for he may be the player who stops them winning the league (or securing Europe, relegating them...)

It's hard to think of so many reserve goalkeepers thanks to their complete lack of Premiership experience for a few years or so, either the first team one does the job or they're on the B team for a reason. Steve Harper would be worth a shot >_<

1749: Up the other, Florent Malouda creates space but, as is so often the case, fails to hit the target.

1750: Florent Malouda creates space but, as is so often the case, fails to hit the target. And no, this is not an accidental repetition of the previous point. It just happened again.

:lol:

Frankly I'm amazed he got two shots off as it is. Usually when he gets the ball near the box, he just stares at the feet of the defender standing in front of him. "I will NOT pass or shoot! I will find a way past this man on my own!" He then, of course, loses possession.

Edited by stokeriño

Come on Jose, you know you want Malouda at Inter (Y)

If we could get any other winger who wasn't injured every other week (Joey Cole :crying:) then I would echo this in a heartbeat.

We should bring back Duff and Robben. That month when both of them were fit was unreal.

I'm a fucking 'tard. The twice I've turned away to post stuff on here, I've missed goals >_<

To throw some names around I really wouldn't be surprised for Shay Given to just say "fuck this I'm leaving". He knows that the club are seriously underprepared about the future without him yet haven't bothered about the situation. He'll be retired in a year or two and all his hard work of keeping the Toon up will be futile, he might end his career on a hight note despite how much it pains me to say this.

There's already been Shay Given rumours but Joe Kinnear has said something along the lines of Newcastle won't sell under any circumstances. I wonder if they'll sell him after Kinnear is gone? :shifty:

Given or David James would both be great signings but I don't see either of them being prized away from their clubs.

You'll have to ask a Wolves or QPR fan (whom he is/was on loan to). As fifth-choice Chelsea centre back, he may have got on the bench once in that week that both Terry and Carvalho were injured, but he certainly never stepped out onto the pitch.

No, I can't understand why he's been called up either. ¬_¬

Edited by stokeriño

Apparently his international career runs like thus:

England U16: 4 appearances

England U17: 17 appearances

England U19: 10 appearances

England U21: 8 appearances

Ooh, a whole 8 U21 appearances. Apparently he's not first choice there either. ¬_¬

Sorry I should have written that he's doubtful for the match. He's going to have a scan on his foot.

From Teamtalk:

"I got shoved when in the air and landed awkwardly. It felt like a sharp pain in the bottom of my foot which is throbbing at the moment," he said.

"But I will have a scan tomorrow and hopefully it will give me the all clear. I am desperate to go away with England for the game with Germany. I have not been ruled out.