Documentaries.

K

On a somewhat related note The Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel in actually a TV series but it is about crab fishing up in Alaska that I have been watching for a couple seasons now. I know it is somewhat popular but I thought I might as well throw it out there.

The Deadliest Catch was pretty good when it was on channel four. I watched most of it with my Grandma and we both enjoyed it, I think it showed what they have to put up with while they go out to get the crabs and how much they need to make a profit. It is also very dangerous work, thus that's why its called The Deadliest Catch since a few people died while being up there.

Another one would be Ice Road Truckers, its a little like The Deadliest Catch. Its about Truckers that have to carry heavy freight on Ice Roads up to Alaska and other places, I urge people to try and watch this as it was pretty good.

On a somewhat related note The Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel in actually a TV series but it is about crab fishing up in Alaska that I have been watching for a couple seasons now. I know it is somewhat popular but I thought I might as well throw it out there.

The Deadliest Catch was pretty good when it was on channel four. I watched most of it with my Grandma and we both enjoyed it, I think it showed what they have to put up with while they go out to get the crabs and how much they need to make a profit. It is also very dangerous work, thus that's why its called The Deadliest Catch since a few people died while being up there.

Another one would be Ice Road Truckers, its a little like The Deadliest Catch. Its about Truckers that have to carry heavy freight on Ice Roads up to Alaska and other places, I urge people to try and watch this as it was pretty good.

Yeah, what I saw of the Deadliest Catch was genius. One of my punters at work also suggested I check out Ice Road Truckers, but haven't yet. Still more recommendations for anyone who fancy this kinda stuff.

• 1 month later...

Theroux's stuff is great. I need to track down the one where he lives with Fred Phelps for a few days.

There's a pretty decent series similar to Ice Road Truckers/Deadliest Catch that airs on truTV in the US called Black Gold about working on an oil well in West Texas. I found it quite interesting. Ax Men is also fucking crazy.

I hate the documentaries that are on TLC now about the 700 lb people who need to change their eating habits to live but can't. They are just boring, its the same thing over and over again.

A few months back a friend of mine was over and we watched something like that on BBC America, but it was about a 400 lb teen who got some weight reduction surgery and struggled with her new diet. It was kind of interesting, but that's only because I rarely ever watch shows like that, so..

The Fog of War is a good one.

Quoted for fucking emphasis.

Agreed. I watched that documentary in my U.S. History class last year and we were only supposed to watch bits and pieces of it but we convinced the teacher to make us watch the entirety of it. Easily one of my favorite documentaries.

On another note, I watched American Hardcore the other day. According to people who've read the book it doesn't really give the same effect as reading it, but it was an interesting documentary.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453549/

Split: A Divided America. It's a film about partisan politics in, surprise! America. It was on IFC earlier today and was a pretty interesting film.

I'll think of more later, but the first documentary that popped in my mind was Jesus Camp. That needs to be seen by everyone.

I'm about an hour into this now.

lol.

it's well funny. But also saddening cause it's real.

Okay so I watched a documentary a while back that I was linked to on here, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

It started out with about a 40 minute long segment focussing on religion and the similarities between Christianity and the Pagan religions, and how there have been countless stories long before the story of Jesus that followed the exact same pattern.

After that segment, it moved on to the government. It discussed 9/11, The North American Union, tracking chips being placed in people, etc. etc.

The website streamed the entire video for free, or you could order the DVD for like $5. Anyone know what the site is?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it by pure luck. It's Zeitgeist.

Edited by JairusCain

• 2 months later...
Okay so I watched a documentary a while back that I was linked to on here, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

It started out with about a 40 minute long segment focussing on religion and the similarities between Christianity and the Pagan religions, and how there have been countless stories long before the story of Jesus that followed the exact same pattern.

After that segment, it moved on to the government. It discussed 9/11, The North American Union, tracking chips being placed in people, etc. etc.

The website streamed the entire video for free, or you could order the DVD for like $5. Anyone know what the site is?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it by pure luck. It's Zeitgeist.

There's a sequel too, called "Zeitgeist II: Addendum". The Jesus stuff is alright, but it includes a lot of paranoid conspiracy bollocks as well.

OK, I come asking if anyone has seen this documentary. It's called Red Trousers and it's about Hong Kong movie stuntmen. Oddly enough, I saw stuff about it on Entertainment Tonight, of all places, but never saw anything about it since. No DVD release, no nothin'. It's done in a weird format, with the documentary intercut with an actual martial arts movie starring Robin Shou (aka Liu Kang aka the guy who wasn't Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja). I've been wanting to see it for years, just because I like HK kung fu flicks, but haven't been able to find it.

As for a contribution, I present Guys and Dolls, a BBC doc about the sad, sad people who have sex with (and in one case, repairs) Real Dolls. I thought it would be horrible when I first saw it...and I was right. But somehow, I couldn't stop watching. All of the cases in the documentary have a "trainwreck" quality to them. In the end, you'll come out feeling better about yourself because no matter how bad life is, at least you're not one of these guys.