NHL 2K9 / NHL 09

Toe

I didn't like NHL 2K8. It felt too similar to all the previous 2K hockey games and was actual more arcadey then NHL 08 in my opinion.

I just downloaded and played the NHL 2K9 demo. Wow and damn, it feels good, plays good, and looks good. I am considering picking it up with NHL 09 when it comes out September 12th. NHL 09 has a sweet new online mode, "Be A Pro" where you start in the AHL and move up playing as yourself, and new defensive skills.

So, who is getting what this year?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be staying with the EA Series. It's not steered me wrong in my years as a fan, and the one year I did try 2k, I traded it in after a month for the EA game.

One thing that really irked me though, is the lack of ability to delete created players. I kept everything up to date by hand until May when I went live on my Xbox... and then with the downloaded rosters, I have several duplicate players. The ability to delete those would be nice.

I'll be staying with the EA Series. It's not steered me wrong in my years as a fan, and the one year I did try 2k, I traded it in after a month for the EA game.

One thing that really irked me though, is the lack of ability to delete created players. I kept everything up to date by hand until May when I went live on my Xbox... and then with the downloaded rosters, I have several duplicate players. The ability to delete those would be nice.

I might be wrong, but with your created players wouldn't you have to continually load the roster file in order to use them? So you should've just been able to not load the roster file where you've created them, and then get the new rosters from online. I could be wrong, but that should do it.

That being said, I'm going 09 all day. I mean, they've improved the defense and FINALLY got the Career Mode. I'm pumped about that big time. Your view on 2k9 interests me alot though. The only thing 2k had for me, which I haven't had since 2k5, was a great franchise mode. I mean, you can 2-4 team it, love that. Keeps thing interesting with your friends. And the offseason in 2k was just much, much better overall. From scouting, contract re-signing to drafting. It was head and shoulders above. I really hope EA improved the franchise at least a little bit on top of adding the Career Mode. I wouldn't hate it if there were more--and better-- logo options for the create a team, but that's minor.

So I guess I'm going with the EA series again, I'll probably rent the 2k to see if it's worth it.

IGN review of NHL 09

From playing the demo and reading the review, I am now super pumped for next week when I can get my hands on this game.

I haven't played the demo because I'm too lazy to move my Xbox, but I am extremely psyched. I'm planning on going through Be a Pro mode at defense... and then after that, when there are roster updates available, I'll move back to the usual Franchise Mode probably.

I am extremely excited though.

Double post of doom...

I gave in and moved my Xbox.

Played the Demo twice now as Crosby... quality stuff. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't be anyone else and play a different position, but it was good. I'm even more excited now about buying the game, and knowing that Be a Pro will keep me occupied until proper rosters are available for dynasty makes me extremely happy.

I called EB and they said they have a copy. I'm seriosuly considering buying it, I have the demo downloading right now. If I enjoy it, I'm going to grab a copy on PS3. EWB PS3 team? I think so.

I'm buying my PS3 next week, and NHL09 the first minute that I can (EDIT: 25/September for me :( ), so i'll be keen for a PS3 EWB Team ^_^

Edited by Plubby