Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler

ROC

For those wondering, this movie's not going to have a problem with success whatsoever. From opening on four screens on Wednesday to Sunday, it is estimated to have earned $295,000. For those who don't follow limited releases, that's fucking huge numbers to start with. Usually, the ones that start with amazing per screen averages are the moderate budget movies that the big studios start on a limited release for an Oscar run. I.E. Gran Torino and Frost/Nixon.

No doubt, Fox Searchlight's probably pressing for a slightly larger release akin to the one that Slumdog Millionaire just got. And of course, most of the critics love it. And chances are, it might actually make it to your local theater before it makes the DVD rack. Good work, America.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the only negative review I've seen thusfar was from Time, whose critic liked Rourke but thought the movie was sentimental claptrap or something. I'm going to see it with my aunt (the only member of my immediate family sympathetic towards professional wrestling) the moment it opens in Seattle.

When does this officially open anyway? I've seen nothing, and I know that it's limited release, but I assume Toronto has to get it.

Anyway, I desperately want to see this movie and I was convinced I wanted to see it within moments of hearing of it. The fact that it's not only a great movie, but features real wrestlers only makes it that much more awesome to me.

I saw a For Your Consideration copy of this earlier in the week and it gets a big ol' thumbs up from Grifter. Rourke's performance was rock solid and lived up to every bit of the hype. Tomei did really well, and Evan Rachel Wood managed to make me give a fuck about her acting for the first time... well, ever.

Also...

Ernest Miller had a surprising large speaking part and Necro Butcher came across really well too.

I saw a For Your Consideration copy of this earlier in the week and it gets a big ol' thumbs up from Grifter. Rourke's performance was rock solid and lived up to every bit of the hype. Tomei did really well, and Evan Rachel Wood managed to make me give a fuck about her acting for the first time... well, ever.

As for Evan Rachel Wood's acting, she wasn't too bad in "The Life Before Her Eyes" though the film itself is a bit odd. Good to know she is getting better. Maybe her and Manson splitting will be good for her career. <_<

I've yet to see a bad Arronsky movie as far as the acting. He generally gets good performances from his actors. Now as far as plot . . . . "The Fountain" was still ho hum but I digress.

Empire gave this five stars and, while they're not infallible by any means (three stars for Zack and Miri, four for Pearl Harbour), that's enough of a recommendation for me to see it.

Also, yeah, Necro Butcher. Clearly the greatest supporting actor in decades.

Was the four stars for the Japanese edit of Pearl Harbour which cut out all the stupid love stuff?

Empire gave this five stars and, while they're not infallible by any means (three stars for Zack and Miri, four for Pearl Harbour), that's enough of a recommendation for me to see it.

Also, yeah, Necro Butcher. Clearly the greatest supporting actor in decades.

Was the four stars for the Japanese edit of Pearl Harbour which cut out all the stupid love stuff?

...is there anything shitter than watching a war film, where you lose?

i doubt this is coming to my town at all, and Im not driving to Indi to see it. Im sure there will be another way in a few weeks.. <_<

I'd also like to hear McMahon's opinion on the movie since he got a private screening

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Source: F4Wonline.com

Director Darren Aronofsky's new film "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rourke has been getting rave reviews and winning awards left and right. The recent movie premiere brought out a number of pro wrestling legends, including Ric Flair, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Gret Valentine, Brutus Beefcake and others. With all the attention the film is receiving, WWE chairman Vince McMahon contacted Darren Aronofsky and requested a private screening of "The Wrestler". So, what did Vince think about it?

Whatever Vince told the director to his face remains a mystery, however a source close to the WWE boss says, "the word negative isn't strong enough to describe Vince's reaction. [This is] no surprise because Vince's vision of the 2008 image of wrestling and even fading stars directly contradicts what The Wrestler accurately portrays." Others in Vince's close circle knew going into the screening that this was the kind of movie he was going to despise.

Take it for what it's worth.

So I went to see this (:shifty:) and ... Wow.

It's taken me a few mins. to process it and I think I still kinda am, but that was one of the most emotionally involving films I've ever watched. Admittedly seeing random indy guys and hearing names I recognized from EWR or seeing guys like Ron Killings and Jimmy Valiant was sort of a cheap thrill. Necro Butcher does a great job. Some of the made up wrestler names were kinda corny I thought but it felt like I was watching one of those RF On The Road deals, as the camera just shadows Ram.

Ram and Cassidy was a real interesting relationship, I liked parrells of the characters, one being an aging stripper the other an aging pro wrestler. I'm sure I could draw more on that with thought.

Ram and Stephanie, the scenes with these two actually teared me up a tad. A few scenes in this movie had me, between the arguments with Stephanie, the scenes immediatly after Ram's heart-attack and bypass, when he's in the shower. Also the ending, I seriously thought Ernest Miller was going to pull Ram on top of him and Ram would die in the ring. The ending did sort of irk me for a few seconds, did he survive? Where did Pam/Cassidy go? It was like Rocky minus the getting the girl in the end thing. We don't know what happens to him, but we know he got to have his last match. Which in the end is all that really mattered. It was the only place that Ram really felt functional. The real world wasn't his world.

Anyway, I think I've been babbling too much, I literally just stopped watching so I'm kinda typing as I take it all in, for want of a better phrase.

Is it a happy ever after? No. It's more realistic than that. It was endearing, emotional, I got a kick out of seeing wrestlers and wrestling taken seriously. It's definantly got the Rocky vibe, but there is a lot more to it than Rocky Meets Wrestling.

For what it's worth, I just came up with this whilst thinking of the ending.

What happens at the Deli when he cuts his thumb and quits, Robin (Randy's real name, since that is the name on his badge) dies essentially. Robin has nothing, bad health, a daughter who hates him and pretty much everything in his life is crummy. Where as Ram is this immortal Superman. This is why we cannot see the end of the match. Robin is gone, Randy The Ram is someone who can only exist in the wrestling ring. He is all that remains, the end of that match is the end of him. This is why we cannot see it. It would end him, but the legend of who he is needs to remain no matter what the real man was the legend, the wrestler will always be something apart, something frozen in time. The ever lasting hero, the man behind is irrelevant, pathetic and essentially destroyed by the events of the film all in a wish to keep the wrestler alive, so in order for that to happen we must be left in the dark. We must remember the Ram fighting, not Robin dying. Which is really how we see wrestlers as fans. We don't see Terry Bollea or Dwayne Johnson or Steve Williams (Austin not Dr. Death) or Paul Levesque or Michael Hickenbottom. We see Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, HHH and HBK. We see the myths they created, no matter what goes in the realities. So, The Wrestler leaves us with the myth, and the knowledge the man behind it destroyed himself to keep it alive.

Sorry if I got to analytic for anyone. I hit a zone.

My thoughts below

I just finished watching it, actually the credits are rolling right now. It's a very good movie though one that I wish was a bit longer. This could have easily been a three hour film and not have felt like one. I think the pacing was a bit too fast as you don't really explore any of the three main story lines. That being said it's still one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time and probably the best this year. To a wrestling fan though, one that follows the indies you may end up not liking parts as they have to adjust things for the universe the movie takes place in but that's really such a minor thing it doesn't take anything away from the film. Rourke was quite good in the role, I haven't seen much of his work but I imagine this was as good of a performance he's capable of giving. That and after seeing it, I can't imagine another actor in the role. Marisa Tomei does a good job playing her part though I felt at the end of the movie I wanted to know more about her character. One last thing, the ending. I didn't like it. In one way it really suits the movie and gives you an iconic last image but at the same time it was just a little to abrupt and left me with a "wait... I want more" taste in my mouth. Knowing there won't (and shouldn't) be a sequel it feels like there are too many loose ends as not one bit of any of the story lines has any conclusion to it. All that being said, it really is a fine film from the way it was acted, the way everything looks, and the general tone and feel of it. It's a very sad film that hopefully lives on as a modern classic. I'm sure some of what I said makes it seem like i really didn't like the movie, I just didn't like parts of it but nothing huge that makes me think it's anything less then a fantastic movie well worthy of the praise it has been receiving.

As a huge Darren Aronofsky fan, I'm not sure I would place that at the top of the list concerning his best work but it certainly deserves it's place aside movies like Pi and Requiem For a Dream. Though another few viewings could certainly change that opinion. I'll be trying to see this in theaters when it comes here at the end of January. I'm hoping it gets a robust DVD release with behind the scenes stuff plus directors commentary as Arronofsky always goes into great detail about how he makes his movies.

If anyone is wondering about the wrestlers in the film, this is who I recognized: Necro Butcher (speaking role), Nigel McGuinness (speaking role but his face is never shown), Sabian, Claudio Castagnoli, Mitch Franklin, Bobby Cruise, Bobby Dempsey, and a slew of WXW guys.

For what it's worth, I just came up with this whilst thinking of the ending.

What happens at the Deli when he cuts his thumb and quits, Robin (Randy's real name, since that is the name on his badge) dies essentially. Robin has nothing, bad health, a daughter who hates him and pretty much everything in his life is crummy. Where as Ram is this immortal Superman. This is why we cannot see the end of the match. Robin is gone, Randy The Ram is someone who can only exist in the wrestling ring. He is all that remains, the end of that match is the end of him. This is why we cannot see it. It would end him, but the legend of who he is needs to remain no matter what the real man was the legend, the wrestler will always be something apart, something frozen in time. The ever lasting hero, the man behind is irrelevant, pathetic and essentially destroyed by the events of the film all in a wish to keep the wrestler alive, so in order for that to happen we must be left in the dark. We must remember the Ram fighting, not Robin dying. Which is really how we see wrestlers as fans. We don't see Terry Bollea or Dwayne Johnson or Steve Williams (Austin not Dr. Death) or Paul Levesque or Michael Hickenbottom. We see Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, HHH and HBK. We see the myths they created, no matter what goes in the realities. So, The Wrestler leaves us with the myth, and the knowledge the man behind it destroyed himself to keep it alive.

Sorry if I got to analytic for anyone. I hit a zone.

This is probably the exact sentiment that I got out of the movie. It really stunned me how much I was stirred by this movie. Rourke is so fucking good, and most importantly, he's painfully realistic. If say...Nic Cage was playing Randy The Ram, I don't think I would be as stirred. The movie works as well as it does because Mickey Rourke is real, from all the bumps and bruises to his inability to really grow as a person. It's all there, and good God, is it a great but painful thing to watch. Wow, Aronofsky made two classics in this generation. What a great man.