Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler

ROC

I figured we might as well bring this topic up because Aronofsky is a beloved director among a few EWBers and because...hell, it's a movie about pro wrestling and it's getting amazing reviews from everyone who has seen it in Toronto.

So, let's discuss Mickey Rourke's third comeback at this point. :D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm seriously looking forward to it, I'll almost certainly see it in theaters even if it's just by myself since presumably everyone I know will be turned off by the fact that it's a movie about wrestling.

I'm interested in seeing it just because.. well, it's about wrestling and it sounds like it's being done right... although I will admit that I haven't really heard much about it at all for a number of months now.

Is the film getting a theatre release all over?

More then likely. It was bought buy Fox Searchlight so it'll probably see a limited release followed by a wide release for award season.

to be honest, im glad that you've just got Rouke doing it. I remember when Nicholas Cage was slated for the role and with all the greatest respect in the world for Nicholas Cage, the last decent movie I saw him in was 8mm. It would have been horrible if he was in this movie.

Ernest the Cat Miller also being in it as the the main heel called the Ayetollah should be interesting. I also understand the likes of Necro Butcher are also going to be in it. Would be amazing if anyone got oscars for it though.

I can't wait for this movie. From all the reviews I've read and the fact it won at the Venice film festival, it's shaping up to be an Oscar contender.

I am pritty shute that if batman dos not win every oscar there is - the internet will start sending out suicide bombers.

I can't wait for this movie. From all the reviews I've read and the fact it won at the Venice film festival, it's shaping up to be an Oscar contender.

I am pritty shute that if batman dos not win every oscar there is - the internet will start sending out suicide bombers.

:lol:

The Dilan Summers character came from this movie, correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine a movie about Professional Wrestling winning the Academy Award. I think that would totally throw off those who view it as "the (fake) sport of trailer trash".

Nah, it wouldn't.

i bet on the LOTR message board a few years back some dude said

"Imagine if LOTR won a bunch of Oscars, that will show those fascists that it's ok for me to cosplay as a dwarf and speak in elfish."

It didn't. I still think those people are freaks.