Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

Crybaby Bunting

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got PES 09 (PS2) yesterday, and already I'm not challenged on beginner. However, when I bump it up to Amateur, I get run over, even with Manchester United. Can't get the ball out of my own zone, always under pressure, can't seem to get a scoring opportunity.

Having wanted to play the PES games for quite a while and now getting a taste of what I've been missing, should I be worried by the fact that I'm just getting bulldozed the fuck out of on Amateur?

Edited by Magus978

Yes and no. Generally yes, but I've been playing Pro Evo for years, and it does take getting used to. Give it time, and you'll be generally bulldozing teams yourself in a while.

I still can't keep clean sheets for shit on this.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I got PES 09 (PS2) yesterday, and already I'm not challenged on beginner. However, when I bump it up to Amateur, I get run over, even with Manchester United. Can't get the ball out of my own zone, always under pressure, can't seem to get a scoring opportunity.

Having wanted to play the PES games for quite a while and now getting a taste of what I've been missing, should I be worried by the fact that I'm just getting bulldozed the fuck out of on Amateur?

If course you shouldn't be worried. If Amateur is challenging you, then good. It's when you play on Top Player and are hammering teams easily that you should be worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought it today, played it before today though but it feels much better being able to sit down alone and properly play it, great game.

Tried out Be A Legend, looks really good but hard as fuck I've found it so far. Just finding it hard getting used to the camera angle, as I cant really play outside of the one they give you or the wide camera where it's more focused on your player. Just feels weird with those cameras when controlling one player though, might take a while for me to get used to it. Signed for Sunderland straight away. Was going to go to Villa but thought I'd go with Sunderland because I wanted more of a challenge and believed I could push them up into the top six :shifty: How wrong I am starting to think I am now. Scored in my first training match for them, although it was a lucky goal to be honest. Outside of that, finding it really hard to score. Of course I'm a striker, despite how hard I'm finding it though, very good.

The little Champions League thing looks good. I know it's just a little league and stuff, but it's small things like this that really add to the game for me. Going to try it out soon and see how it goes. Just downloaded the update to get the teams sorted, is there no other thing you can download to get most of the teams sponsored though? I'm guessing there's not on X-Box 360, but I'm not greatly fussed, very happy United and Liverpool are licensed at least.

Also, is there any special tricks or anything I should know about that the manual or things don't explain? And how good is this special free kick thing I read about, where you apparently act like you're shooting one side of the goal but shoot the other? Tried it but didn't work, then realised I'd pressed the wrong buttons to do it so still haven't had the chance to try it.

is there no other thing you can download to get most of the teams sponsored though? I'm guessing there's not on X-Box 360, but I'm not greatly fussed, very happy United and Liverpool are licensed at least.

There is, but for the 360 you need to go through some long drawn-out process to get them on. It's possible though.

Try PESGaming.com.

I'll check on there.

The Champions League is awesome. Had a fantastic match against Villarreal. Went 2-0 up due to two of the worst goal keeping blunders I've seen, Tevez catching him out twice on a stupid short pass and then on the keeper taking too long on the ball. Looked like we were cruising to victory, up until Pires fired in a really nice strike from about twenty yards, then he goes on a thirty yard run and chips my keeper. Couldn't believe it, but then Rooney strikes back with a great little strike into the top corner, thought I had it won again. Only for them to fire straight back with a twenty five yard thunder bolt. Threw EVERYTHING at them for the last five minutes and got a corner in literally the final seconds of the match. Vidic comes storming from outside the box and headers it into the top corner to win it. Felt amazing and so back and fourth, unbelievable game.

Oh and online I've only played one match and feel like I might dislike it already. The game was going fine at first, he picked United, then I realised that was bad. Everything Ronaldo got the ball, he went on a sixty yard run like the computer does. Didn't attempt any proper team play and was just really using the players with speed to try Maradonna style runs, which was a shame.

Ugh, it seemed like the best deal with the bundle but how I long to own FIFA 09 soon.

Same old same old. Virtually impossible to break down a defence, let alone run passed one. Kieran Richardson is quicker than Mario Melchiot. Sorry but he just is. Then again so is Lionel Messi but he can't seem to get passed him either without falling over.

Gah, Pro Evo has just been a growing frustration for me since about 2005. But it was the best bundle deal I could find for my 360, and who knows - maybe I'd like it? Two days in - can't say I'm a massive fan, simply due to silly things. Like, through balls that aren't through balls, instead tiny little passes to their defence. When you try to pass the ball around some its immediately snuffed out.

Someone help me before I break things, because there's no way Emerson Boyce should be steaming downfield leaving players (except maybe Andy Reid) in his wake. Just no way.

You wouldn't see that happen in FIFA

[/fanboy comment]

Seriously though, I can't BELIEVE how quickly I've been converted from completely hating nearly everything about FIFA, and loving PES, to the complete opposite. Even after playing the FIFA demo I wasn't convinced by it. It was only when I bought the full game I really got in to it, not to mention it playing differently from the demo.

The thing is, Konami needed PES to run well online this year, which they've failed to do so again. Yes, Master League on PES is still streets ahead of Manager Mode on FIFA, but when it comes to online there's no contest.

You're able to play virtually lag-free 10v10 games on FIFA, and they can't properly manage 1v1 on PES, let alone 2v2 which is their new idea.

And to respond to Ace, in the 1 (one) game I've played on PES this year (I know...wasted £35, any buyers?) I could see what you mean. They say the AI has become smarter. No, no. It's the AI of your own team that makes it harder because what used to be the most responsive AI ever, is now even worse than FIFA 08's team-mate AI.

It definitely seems more of a case of your own players being dumbed down than the opposition AI improving, which is a shame. You might say I can't judge after one game, but I'm not alone on the matter. I just hope that next year Konami step up their game and make 2010 real competition to FIFA, because I think if they move streets ahead, they'll stay there with their resources.

I think all the AI is a pain in the ass actually yeah. I held the ball up with Kenwyne Jones so Michael Chopra could stand next to me and not make a run forward. Seems the only way I can make a forward run is if I use the left bumper and pass and to be honest I can't really afford to do that when there's pressure coming from the defender.

Guess it just needs made a bit more sensible and realistic perhaps. A through ball should be a true through ball, some of them are just passes to the defenders and even if the defender wasn't there would be far from an actual through ball, I want something passed through to Jones so he can use his pace to beat Bramble to the ball and score. Instead I'm treat to Jones making a light jog and Reid passing the ball to Brambles feet.

Having said all that, Chopra is uncannily good on the game when I was controlling him. Until I got him sent off that was. <_<

Talking of fouling, that's another thing I don't like about PES.

It's all very random, and has been for quite a number of years now. There are times when you can hack someone from behind and get away with it, which makes you feel happy, but then the downside is you make a perfectly good challenge, take the ball and STILL get sent off. Now, I know referees make mistakes in real life, but the annoying thing is that there's no way Konami have made it like this purposely, it's just lazy mistakes on their part.

I must say, for the most part, refereeing is perfect on FIFA. There's the advantage problem which people know about and anyone who has the game will tell you, it's annoying, as not only does it mess up the way you play after being brought back for the FK, there's also problems with cards being handed out to players etc.

But anyway, what I mean is on the whole, the refereeing side of things is correct. The collision system is good (maybe over-implemented, but good) and it actually feels like the referee will make the correct call if you've won the ball/took a player down when you're the last man.

Since I have this game and I can't trade it in, I figure I'll give it a few more goes. I may enjoy online play more than against the computer, although the online play isn't meant to be that great.

Are people here still playing online? And if so if you want to add me, gamertag is in the sig, then we can have a few games sometime. May as well play it if I have it.

I love how everybody is acting like it isn't even worth playing. I still cant understand why anybody thinks Fifa is great, but I don't think we should get into another huge debate about Fifa/Pro, because it's just my opinion.

That all said, I've played about three games online. One of them was fine, the other was just some guy using the best players to go on hundred yard runs and the other one lagged way too much to even play. So I'm not convinced by the online mode to be honest, but I might be about over the weekend so I'll add you at some point and have a game or two if you want.

I love PES. Always have. So picked this up, even though feedback has been meh for it. Started off on professional, and was just way too hard, so dumbed it down a notch to normal, and it's still quite difficult, but not overly.

Awesome game though.

Mmmm this game got delivered today (birthday pressie from the in-laws but I can't wait until the 16th). I was very happy to see Pro Evo and have gone straight into the Become A Legend mode and after a middling scouting match (I play as a second striker) I signed for Cagliari where I immediately switched the camera to the old Libero Grande behind-the-player view which is loads harder but feels really really great.

I LOVED Libero Grande but it was flawed. This is just so much better and it's pretty intense. I'm half way through my second training game, we played 3-4-3 in the first game and 5-4-1 in the second with me as a lone striker. I play as I do in real life which makes being a loan striker tricky as I prefer to drop back a little, make the runs, jink wide if need be...But this is amazing and it's almost like playing in real life.

I nearly scored a header from a corner and then had a volley saved off the line by a defender with the goalie beaten. Awesome. I've set a goal up and my first goal will be fantastic to experience even if it's bundled in....And THEN when I finally make the first team and make my debut....As training is just on a pitch with a small stand and training kits to play in a proper stadium in the Cagliari colours will be great.

It may be a while before I play the standard Pro Evo. :P

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMySanta

My brief boner for Be A Legend disappeared when it was proven by a guy on PESGaming that whoever you play for, the team underperforms really badly when playing on a hard difficulty.

I have PES but I've only played it once this year, still looking for a taker so I can offload it, for a decent price of course...it's only been in my PS3 system once. Anyone?

To be honest, I always knew that as fun as BAL might be this year, it was going to be flawed and need a lot of work done to it, which no doubt Konami will. I just wish they'd pay more attention to Master League first before jumping on to a new mode and leaving behind the single best mode PES has ever had.

Same goes for FIFA, their Manager Mode (equivalent of ML), which could be one of the main selling points of the game if done right, needs a major overhaul, but EA seem more intent on this 10v10 online business. :/

Edited by LL's Boy