The 40 Best Dance Albums of the Last Thirty Years

RPS

Dancing is a primary function of music. People can do it in bars, at a concert, or in their own bedroom. And it’s infectious. Many artists have tried over the years to get us up out of our chairs and to get dancing. Some didn’t even try and they did any ways. From disco, to new wave, to industrial, to funk and soul, to punk rock, dancing has been integral to music as the music itself.

And with that, I’ve decided to compile a list of the 40 best dance albums of the last thirty years (well… one is a bit over, but it’s the exception). I admit, a purely subjective list. Much of my tastes clearly emerges from the list. But for the most part, I think did a great job in compiling the most successful albums in getting us to dance. Some may be obvious (the top four are in my mind, the only top four you could choose); others will be a surprise. Posts will be posted in increments of four.

40. David Bowie – Let’s Dance (1983)

39. The Prodigy – The Fat Of The Land (1997)

38. Aqua – Aquarium (1997)

37. Moby – Play (1999)

36. Air – Moon Safari (1998)

35. Run DMC – Greatest Hits (2002)

34. Death From Above 1979 – You’re A Woman, I’m a Machine (2004)

33. Vengaboys - The Party Album (1997)

32. The B52’s - The B52’s (1979)

31. Gorillaz – Gorillaz (2001)

30. Madonna – Ray Of Light (1998)

29. Depeche Mode – Violator (1990)

28. The Clash – Rock The Casbah (1982)

27. Justice – † (2007)

26. Blondie – Parallel Lines (1978)

25. Fat Boy Slim – You've Come a Long Way, Baby (1998)

24.The Spice Girls – Spice (1996)

23. The Chemical Brothers – Dig Your Own Hole (1996)

22. Devo – Freedom Of Choice (1980)

21. Madonna – Confessions On A Dancefloor (2005)

20. Kraftwerk – Trans-Europe Express (1977)

19. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004)

18. New Order – Low-Life (1983)

17. Basement Jaxx – Rooty (2001)

16. Jamiroquai – Travelling Without Moving (1996)

15. Madonna – Like A Prayer (1989)

14. Michael Jackson – Off The Wall (1979)

13. Missy Elliott - Miss E… So Addictive (2001)

12. Beastie Boys – Hello Nasty (1998)

11. Basement Jaxx – Kish Kash (2003)

40. David Bowie – Let’s Dance (1983)

200px-David-bowie-lets-dance.jpg

The stats: David Bowies fifteenth studio album; #1 in the UK and #4 in the US; three top five singles.

The essential tracks: Let’s Dance, China Girl, Modern Love, Ricochet

Throughout the late seventies and early eighties, David Bowie had shown signs of attempting a cross over to a more dance sound. Incorporating synthesisers and experimenting with producer Brian Eno. The result was Let’s Dance – a highly divisive record. A commercial success for Bowie, it came at the expense of critical disdain for his recent turn into disco and new wave.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=30AVhf-ZLwM (Let’s Dance)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3SBrLrgmE (Modern Love)

39. The Prodigy – The Fat Of The Land (1997)

TheProdigy-TheFatOfTheLand.jpg

The stats: Fastest selling album in the UK in 1999; debuted at #1 on the Billboard Charts; included in Rolling Stone's "Essential Recordings of the 90's."

The essential tracks: Smack My Bitch Up, Breathe, Diesel Power, Mindfields, Firestarter.

In 1997, The Prodigy were different in every sense of the word. Not only did Liam Howett and Keith Flint look out of this world, but their brand of electronica was hard to define. Combining industrial, punk and rave sounds, the Prodigy created a distinct sound that captivated European and North American audiences. Courting controversy with songs like Smack My Bitch Up and Firestarter, the Prodigy created an album full of aggressive dance songs.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lU2AVp6uFDw (Smack My Bitch Up)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=28ow4TLMTqM (Firestarter)

38. Aqua – Aquarium (1997)

200px-Aquariumcover1.jpg

The stats: 10 million albums sold worldwide; eight singles released off the album; first three singles released by the band went #1 in the UK.

The essential tracks: Barbie Girl, Doctor Jones, Lollipop (Candyman), My Oh My.

Anyone who attended a high school dance between 1997 and 2000 knows about the power of Aqua. Regarded in some circles as a novelty band, Aqua struck it big with the hot single Barbie Girl. The success of Barbie Girl would lead it go Platinium practically everywhere around the world – from Spain (x5 platinum), to Japan (x2 platinum), to Canada (x10 platinum). This would all be irrelevant if it wasn’t for the fact that Aquarium was a gem of Europop. Each track, while a bit cheesy, delivers over the top fun at every turn. It’s pure camp goodness.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pxn567bHny8 (Barbie Girl)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=buXJlBd3Mf8 (Doctor Jones)

37. Moby – Play (1999)

200px-Moby_play.JPG

The stats: 10 million albums sold world wide; every song was licensed for commercial use; number 341 on Rolling Stone’s Greatest Albums of All Time.

The essential tracks: Honey, Porcelain, South Side, Natural Blues

Moby combined gospel, blues soul and electronica elements seamlessly on Play, creating a unique and distinct sound. Moby’s choice to license all the songs for commercial use seemed to take attention away from the pure quality of the tracks inside. It’s the type of record you can be dancing too in the club one second or while relaxing on a night in.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Fcaro25Ek (Porcelain)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ivtKcM1DGeY (Natural Blues)

Edited by PunkRockPete

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As entertaining as I find Aqua to be (guilty pleasures and all)...To rate it as a better dance album to Fat Of The Land....ummmm....

Though I'm biased, every week at uni when I went out to the local indie/alternative/rock eclectic night we'd be dancing away to Breathe and Smack My Bitch Up. Bloody good times too.

Yeah, I shuffled it up a bit. I don't know. Aqua is a bit dated, but you can't really underestimate how big of a record that was in 1997. The Prodigy holds up better over a long period, but Aqua immediate impact was far greater than the Prodigies. All in my opinion, though.

36. Air – Moon Safari (1998)

200px-Moonsafari.air.albumcover.jpg

The stats: The album was recently re-released to commemorate it’s ten year release; been covered by Franz Ferdinand and Nena.

The essential tracks: Sexy Boy, La Femme d‘Argent, Kelly Watch the Stars

Released in 1998, this classic album has proven over the last ten years to have longevity. Songs like La Femme d‘Argent and Sexy Boy still seem a bit ahead of their time. Much like Play (37), it serves not only as great dance floor music, it’s just the kind of record you can put on and chill out too. It’s laid back nature gives it versatility; it isn’t the type of record that grows old fast. The classic Sexy Boy is still as fresh today as when I first heard it back in 1998.

35. Run DMC – Greatest Hits (2002)

200px-Run-D.M.C._Greatest_Hits.jpg

The stats: Four top five Billboard hits; considered the most complete compilation of Run DMC’s career.

The essential tracks: It’s Tricky, Walk This Way, It’s Like That.

Much like DFA1979, Run DMC aren’t your typical dance group. Regardless, this mix of rock and roll and hip hop makes for an instant good time, on and off the dance floor. Everyone and their mother has at least danced to Walk This Way and the rest of the tracks here laid the ground work for hip hop artists to come.

34. Death From Above 1979 – You’re A Woman, I’m a Machine (2004)

You

The stats: The only studio release by DFA1979; went gold in Canada; Blood On Your Hands was a top 40 hit in the UK.

The essential tracks: Romantic Rights, Blood On Your Hands, Cold War, Sexy Results.

Its hard to not acknowledge the fact this isn’t a conventional dance record. Where are the techno beats? Where’s that heavy disco bass line? Shouldn’t MSTRKRFT be listed here? Regardless of all that, DFA1979 released one hell of a statement in 2004. Its not a clubbing album; it’s a balls to the walls, get drunk off your ass and dance like there is no tomorrow type record. There is just something about that infectious combo of the heavy, almost metal bass line and the non-stop drumming.

33. Vengaboys - The Party Album (1997)

200px-Party_Album_Cover.jpg

The stats: Four top five hits in the UK (two of which were #1s), We Like To Party was covered by Crazy Frog and used in Six Flags commercials.

The essential tracks: We Like To Party, Boom Boom Boom Boom!, Up And Down, We’re Going To Ibiza.

The only way you could hate this record were to be if you hated fun. Much like Aqua (#38), this is just pure and unadulterated fun. Do the Vengaboys want you to think? No! Do they want to you to dance? Fuck yeah. A staple of club music not only in the nineties but well into the new millennium. And what separates the Vengaboys from other one hit wonders is that – they didn’t have just one song. They had an entire CD full of amazing tunes!

Some stats. There are:

4 albums from the seventies.

10 albums from the eighties.

15 albums from the nineties.

11 albums from this decade.

32. The B52’s - The B52’s (1979)

TheB-52

The stats: Went #59 on the Billboard music charts, 152 on Rolling Stone’s greatest albums.

The essential tracks: Planet Claire, 52 Girls, Rock Lobster, 6060-842.

Before everyone and their mother starts to hate on this record just wait and let me explain. So they recorded Love Shack (ok, admit it, everyone loves that song). This is THE party record. Go and watch the video for Rock Lobster. How can you NOT dance to that? Its mindless, absolutely. Its kitchsy, absolutely. Hell, its really, really gay. But it’s a damn good time! (and we all love Love Shack, just admit it)

31. Gorillaz – Gorillaz (2001)

200px-GorillazAlbum.jpg

The stats: Seven million albums sold worldwide, spawned four top 40 hits in the UK and an unexpected hit in Clint Eastwood in the US.

The essential tracks: Five Four, Clint Eastwood, Punk, Rock The House, Latin Simone, 19-2000

When this album was released, people weren’t really sure what to call it. There are lots of albums released that people can ascribe some sort of genre, but Gorillaz was an entirely different world. It literally genre-hopped all over the world. Latin, hip-hop, rock, punk, electronica, reggae all combined to make this very lush and weird record. 19-2000 is still one of the most pecuilar, yet incredibly dance-able tunes out there.

30. Madonna – Ray Of Light (1998)

200px-Ray_Of_Light.jpg

The stats: 14 million albums worldwide, three Grammy Awards, produced by William Orbit.

The essential tracks: Ray Of Light, The Power Of Goodbye, Frozen, Nothing Really Matters.

The first appearance for Madonna on this list was her return to the dance floor. Madonna seemed to flounder in the nineties, really unsure of any sort of identity she wanted to have. And than Ray Of Light comes to her; her most experimental and risky record and it paid off huge. It reestablished Madonna as the Queen of the Pop World and ensured that she’d keep her throne until… well, she still hasn’t lost it.

29. Depeche Mode – Violator (1990)

200px-DMviolator.jpg

The stats: Depeche Mode’s first appearance in the top 10 of the Billboard Album charts,

The essential tracks: Personal Jesus, World In My Eyes, Enjoy the Silence.

Depeche Mode’s biggest break through at the time combined elements of synch pop and industrial to make a thrilling statement on dance music.

Edited by PunkRockPete

Ugh, Scissor Sisters are an abomination against music. It's not even like "Well, it's not relaly my bag, but I can kinda see why someone might enjoy it," it's full-on fucking nonsensical random shite. Don't feel like dancing? Well quit mincing aobut like a twat out for attention, and don't bother telling me about it. Christ.

I hate the Vengaboys.

I hate fun.

I don't care.

I was 17 when that album came out. The last thing I wanted to listen to was some sub-standard cheesy Europop gone bad.

Now Air on the other hand are genius. However I feel that 10,000Hz Legend and Talkie Walkie are better albums.

Let's be honest, Madonna's turn of the century revival was purely down to the skills of Mirwais and William Orbit who produced for her. Indeed, Mirwais' album Production is a better example of that kind of music.

So what am I still hoping for?

"Surrender" by Chemical Brothers

"Light and Magic" by Ladytron

"Everything Everything" (live album) by Underworld

"Avant Hard" by Add N To (X)

"Kittenz and Thee Glitz" by Felix da Housecat

"In Sides" by Orbital

"Black Cherry" by Goldfrapp

Still, I'm intruiged.

I hate the Vengaboys.

I hate fun.

I don't care.

Bang on, I don't care if I don't (generally) like dance music, anything they've ever done has been utterly, utterly terrible and how it ever sold is beyond me.

I'm hoping to see some Daft Punk on here, Discovery is a wonderful album. I was also going to say Utah Saints, but thinking about it, I don't think I've heard a complete album, Something Good is...well, good, though. As is Pendulum's remix of it.

Ooh, Hold Your Colour should totally be on the list. They united everyone from the drum n bass freaks to the metalheads with that album.

Edited by Dragsy

28. The Clash – Rock The Casbah (1982)

200px-Combat_rock_cover.jpg

The stats: The last album to feature the classic Clash lineup; #2 in the UK and #7 in the US; Rock the Casbah became a top 10 hit.

The essential tracks: Know Your Rights, Car Jamming, Should I Stay Or Should I Go? Rock The Casbah, Straight to Hell.

When this album came out, many people accused the Clash of selling out. They did, but that isn’t a bad thing or the point at all. The Clash always had dancey elements in their music, but it wasn’t until Combat Rock till they were fully flushed out. And this album is danceable. Rock the Casbah and Should I Stay Or Should I Go had people dancing when they were released and have remained popular. Straight To Hell has recently been turned into a dance song by M.I.A and been well received everywhere. Time has shown this album to just be as relevant as anything else they released.

27. Justice – † (2007)

200px-Justicecross.jpg

The stats: Nominated for Best Electronic/Dance Album, Best Dance Recording and Best Video at the Grammys; featured on the Television program Shark and video Game GTAIV, as well as commericals for Telus, Cadillac, Levi’s.

The essential tracks: D.A.N.C.E, DVNO, Phantom I & II, The Party.

Despite being released in 2007, this French duo has made sure their name is still being tossed around a year later. The material off † has proven to be incredibly popular on the dance floor, in television commercials and by remixers. With each single they release spawning a number of popular remixes, † shows that it doesn’t have to be conventional industry avenues that make your record popular. † has shown it’s strength by the popularity of new mediums like the Internet and by exposure through television.

26. Blondie – Parallel Lines (1978)

200px-Blondie_-_Parallel_Lines.jpg

The stats: Blondie’s third studio album; spawned six huge singles; Went #1 in the UK and #6 in the US; went Platinum.

The essential tracks: Hanging On The Telephone, One Way Or Another, Sunday Girl, Heart of Glass.

Although Blondie had two albums before Parallel Lines, it would be this classic CD that would push them into the mainstream. Inspired by Kraftwerk and The Bee Gees, Blondie helped introduce new sounds to the mainstream, all the while getting everyone and their mother to dance to their incredibly infectious singles. Just as relevant today as it was when it was released, people still dance to these classic songs.

25. Fatboy Slim – You've Come a Long Way, Baby (1998)

200px-YouveComeALongWayBaby2.jpg

The stats: Number one in the UK; four top 5 hits in the UK, one top 40 hit in the US; earned three MTV Music Video Awards;

The essential tracks: Praise You, The Rockafellar Skank, Gangster Tripping, Soul Surfing.

Who would have thought in 1998 that some guy named Fatboy Slim would come around and make things a whole lot more interesting? Although he released four singles prior to Praise You, it wasn’t until that single that he broke out. With a guerrila style video and acclaim from the music community, Fatboy Slim became a force to be reckoned with. Gaining a reputation of creating enthralling music videos and incredibly captivating dance music, Fatboy Slim has maintained a world wide fan base and continued to keep us dancing.

Coming up next...

An album released in 1980.

An album with interesting guest appearances.

An album that incited a frenzy across the globe.

A comeback album that would almost eclipse the artists earlier work.

Edited by PunkRockPete

I will defend † on the very fact that it may not be strong as a dance album (ie, the physical copy) in a conventional sense, but I'd say its influence has been WAY more in terms of remixes. They were remixed by Justice themselves, Diplo, Tittsworth, MSTRKRFT, Alan Braxe and Fred Falke, Sunshine Brothers, Surkin, Boys Noize, Soulwax, etc. Was the actual album incredibly danceable? Hell no. But it was the most remixed band since Daft Punk. Although the remixes aren't "technically" a part of the album, the album did subsequently create a frenzy on the dance floor. Totally my opinion though. I totally see † as the perfect dance album, but you can't really ignore how huge it was in terms of remixing.

† is a lovely album. Some of it is not my cup of tea, but the two "Phantoms," "DVNO," and "Genesis" are all splendid songs. And obviously, The Clash is awesome, especially on Rock the Casbah, which features one of my personal faves "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" I enjoy this list, even though I can't see me breaking out B-52s or Madonna any time soon. :shifty:

I will defend † on the very fact that it may not be strong as a dance album (ie, the physical copy) in a conventional sense, but I'd say its influence has been WAY more in terms of remixes. They were remixed by Justice themselves, Diplo, Tittsworth, MSTRKRFT, Alan Braxe and Fred Falke, Sunshine Brothers, Surkin, Boys Noize, Soulwax, etc. Was the actual album incredibly danceable? Hell no. But it was the most remixed band since Daft Punk. Although the remixes aren't "technically" a part of the album, the album did subsequently create a frenzy on the dance floor. Totally my opinion though. I totally see † as the perfect dance album, but you can't really ignore how huge it was in terms of remixing.

Yeah, I'm totally going to need to get hold of these remixes.