The "I shouldn't have bought it..." thread

Baddar

Does anyone on here ever look at their collection of games and think "Why did I buy that?".

I've got around 16 PS3 games, but I could probably name 5 of them that I shouldn't have bothered buying in the first place for one reason or another.

Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 - I bought it on release day, hoping the move to next-gen made for a great season/career mode. How wrong I was.

Assassins Creed - I waited on this one. But most of the reviews were amazingly positive, especially on here so I thought I'd give it a go. I just couldn't get into it AT ALL. I haven't even done the first assassination yet, due to me being bored of the twenty minute cut scenes every five minutes.

Fifa 08 - Probably the best Fifa made to date (excluding 09, which I'm getting in the morning) but I'd already bought it for PS2. I heard that the PS2 version suited casual players and next-gen meant for better thought out, slower attacks. Slow was correct, as the speed of play was shockingly shit, as PES was, except completely opposite as far as game speed goes.

Beijing 2008 - Another release day purchase, but one that held my attention for a day and that was it. Online is (was anyway - any updates now?) buggy and laggy as hell when I tried it with scoreboards wrong etc., and playing offline, especially on my own isn't really that fun.

Top Spin 3 - Just about made this list due to me wanting to put up 5, as said. Again, I haven't played this all that much, but I'm sure I will whenever a major Tennis tournament is on. Nothing really wrong with it apart from the difficulty to hit winners from anything other than the "risk shots" which most of the time don't seem to be based on whether you time it properly, but rather on whether the AI wants to give it to you.

So yeah, discuss...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Simpsons Game: <_< Yeah, well I liked Road Rage along with Hit & Run but this one was crap.

Fifa 08: Bought this on the day of release but I have no idea why, I don't mind the 'Be A Player' mode or whatever it's called, but the rest is crap, I'd much rather spend the money on Pro Evo.

Smackdown vs Raw 2008: I always buy these games on the day of release but I haven't played one for any substantial amount of time since Here Comes The Pain. I know I'll get the new one though :/

Brian Lara Cricket 2007: Not too bad I suppose but the first one in 2005 was fucking ace, but with the sequel; not so ace.

Only got four...

GRAW 2. I don't know why I even bought this game in the first place, I hate slower tactical shooters. I think it came out at a time when there wasn't much else being released and in a moment of madness I thought I'd give it a chance. Not sure I even completed the tutorial.

SVR08 - I beat it, I don't play it aside from when friends come over, online is laggy as hell. Yeah, not cool.

Devil May Cry 1, 2 & 3 - I bought them cause a friend recommended them. I played 1, I sucked at it, I got told 3 was a prequel and that it was well easier. Played it for about 5 hours, decided to turn it off, and haven't played again. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, I just have other games to play... and replay... and replay.

Burnout Revenge - Burnout 3 was awesome. Burnout Revenge was not as good. Luckily enough, Burnout Paradise got way better.

Animal Crossing - I don't have the patience for this game. I paid off my house, and that was enough for me. Haven't played in ages, needless to say I have a fair bit of weeding to do.

Dragon Quest VIII - Didn't play it for very long. Decided I didn't like the animation style, and turned it off. I still want to play it, but I remember DBZ and it just stops me from opening the case.

Edited by ChiMomo

1) World Series of Poker - PS2

Damn you poker craze, damn you. While it can be fun initially, after a while, you're soon going to realize that there are better ways to play with yourself. :shifty: The one positive of this game is how insanely fast you can go through hands. Too bad that doesn't seem to apply for whatever reason to Omaha and it's variations.

2) World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions - PS2

Well, as if I didn't learn my lesson the first time.......<_<. "Hey, let's take out everything that made WSOP fun and repackage it with new graphics!" "zOMG OKAY~!". :(

3) Excluding The Legend of Zelda, every "CLASSIC NES" series game I bought for the GBA - Game Boy Advance

Well, the games in question include Zelda II, Super Mario Bros., Metroid, and Castlevania. Not that there's anything wrong with them, mind you, it's just I find LoZ to be much more enjoyable in the sense of sitting down and playing a game comfortably. The other four were okay, but it's just not the same in my opinion.

4) Dragon Warrior II - NES

Back in 1994, I wish I knew whatever drugs my parents put me on to pester them nonstop until they relented and ordered a copy of it from Funco. I must've been a masochist back then. :(

5) GTA: LCS - PS2

After the awesomeness that was Vice City and San Andreas, could you really go wrong with another GTA game?

Yes, you could. It pretty much takes all the real fun things that you had in VC and SA and shits all over them, the only things carrying over is the variety of weapons for each slot and motorcycles. Other than that, it feels to much like the original GTA3. While I liked GTA3, VC and SA were clearly superior to it.

6) X-Wing Collectors CD - PC

I remember back in the day when my best friend's brother showed me a copy of TIE Fighter on his PC. I thought it was awesome. It was Star Wars, and you're playing as the Empire! And it looks cool, too! Well, he gave me a copy of the game and a cheap copied version of the manual (see, back then kiddies, we had this thing for diskette games called Copy Protection. It was a way of making sure that you had paid for the game by making you type some random word from the manual. As for what a diskette is, well....). So, I saw the CD version of X-Wing a post-Christmas shopping spree thanks to an insanely large (for an eleven year old on 5 dollars a week allowance) check that my grandmother had given me, and thought "Wow, it's going to be just like TIE Fighter only I'm a Rebel!" Only it wasn't. :(

Oblivion. I thought I'd like it because I usually like that kind of game. Did the tutorial and played around for an hour or so after that, then got bored.

Just not my cup of tea I guess, so I'm going to trade it in with FIFA 08, get some cash, and get FIFA 09. :)

WWE Crush Hour. Doesn't need an explaination.

Sonic Heroes. I just got bored and stuck early on, and having to hear their whiny voices every time I died, I never played it again, and along with the next game, traded it for Spiderman 2.

Rainbow Six 3. I technicially didn't buy it, I had it for my birthday. But again, got stuck late on (it was the part where you had to sneek around the house. They kept finding me even though I wasn't doing anything wrong) I eventually completed it the day I traded it. The worst thing is you could basically tell your team to do everything for you.

Football Manager 2006. Why I bought it I don't know. I didn't like manager games before, and I rarely played it, and my interest in any football was beginning to wane. Quickly. Part was due to spare time and PC spec, but still. Haven't made it past November of the first season. EWR is basically the same thing, but a topic I'm actually interested in, much lower PC spec to run it and free.

The Sims. Got into it late because of PC specs, but really most of the time I installed it, played for that day, quit, released I wasn't gonna play it again, uninstalled.

Gangsters. Similar to Sims & FM2006, I don't even like strategy games. :/

Guest deknegt

Mercenaries 2 - It had so much potential but it had a boring and short story, And the part where you blew stuff up was kinda... meh (N)

I will bring it back though get my 20 and use it to help me buy saints row 2 ^_^

Yeah I agree with the Sky Surfing game on PSN. Useless.

Bowling and Pain are borderline.

Looking at my current PS3 selection I'm quite happy. I don't generally take chances with games though.

I DID have the advantage of working in a videogame store and being able to play and borrow games as well as not being afraid to buy a game and bring it back after a few days if it sucked.

LOST was me being vaguely intruiged. I expected it to be rubbish and it was - returned after one night.

First plays of Haze were promising and I really liked it. A few levels in and it got sucky and all the problems surfaced. It annoyed me so I returned that too - after a week.

Assassin's Creed was a beautiful example of development and open-minded thinking. It looks good too. I don't play it much after completing it but I'm glad I bought it and played it. It's got shortcomings sure but certain sections like the banquet, the mental hospital and the executioner are coolios...As is riding up and into each city for the first time, clambering to the highest points and leaps of faith.

Beijing 2008 I don't play much but it's there for when I need it. It's what I expected.

Bladestorm is good crazy Japanese/medieval fun and sometimes feel like it.

Call of Duty 4 I've played online more than any other PS3 game.

Civilization Revolution annoys me cos it slows down. That's inexcusable.

Elder Scrolls is epic and magnificent.

Everybody's Golf got loadsa online play and is brilliant.

GTA 4 is good, not played it much though.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has had no play since the first week cos Race Driver GRID is better.

Heavenly Sword was hella fun and the shooty levels are brilliant, as are the big fighty levels.

MGS4 is my favourite game ever.

Motorstorm cost me 2 quid so I only need to play it for half an hour anyway, which I've done.

Pro Evo Soccer 08 has had good play.

Race Driver GRID is all kinds of genius.

Rock Band is grooviness.

Singstar is funfun.

Skate was a freebie from my boss when I left work. Wish I'd picked another game though like DIRT or something. It's good but not great.

Uncharted is brilliant Hollywood fun.

Warhawk got me the headset too! Yay! Played it to death for a couple of weeks then got COD4.

So yeah out of those I wouldn't miss Civilization or Gran Turismo. I could live without Skate or Motorstorm but play them from time to time.

Generally I am fairly happy with my video game purchases.

The reason for this is that I'm usually pretty careful. I don't buy a game unless I rented it enough to know that I enjoy it and it has replay value. And it's usually at a bargain.

In fact, the only game that I bought at release in the past few years is GTA:SA.

And I definitely didn't regret that one.

That said, There were a couple missteps.

1.) NFL 2k3 (I think it was 2k3....it was like a year or two before they got the ESPN license)- I only bought it because it was a ps2 game for $8.00. That said, I never even got -that- much playing out of the game. I played it once. Hated it. Never opened it again.

2.) Civilization 3 - PC. This is not because it is a bad game necessarily, but because for whatever reason, I never got interested in playing it enough to open it. It's still unopened somewhere in one my computer desk drawers. It was only $10.00 when I bought it though.

3.) NHL 2k8 - PS2. Not only did this suck compared to the other NHL game I own (NHL 2k4) but I bought it shortly before i bought my 360 and stopped playing PS2 games.

4.) Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI - I enjoy this game, but I bought it probably 3 days before I bought my Xbox360, and as such I've only played it maybe twice.

5.) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. I enjoyed the game, and I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought it. But after buying it I played it maybe once. I had already beaten it from renting and I just couldn't get into it again after that.

Legends of Wrestling: Showdown.

Having bought LofW 2 you'd think I learnt my lesson, but not so. The lure of the Ultimate Warrior and Sting proved too much for me to think about the turd game which would likely be present beneath the character selection screen.

Yeah I agree with the Sky Surfing game on PSN. Useless.

Bowling and Pain are borderline.

Looking at my current PS3 selection I'm quite happy. I don't generally take chances with games though.

I DID have the advantage of working in a videogame store and being able to play and borrow games as well as not being afraid to buy a game and bring it back after a few days if it sucked.

LOST was me being vaguely intruiged. I expected it to be rubbish and it was - returned after one night.

First plays of Haze were promising and I really liked it. A few levels in and it got sucky and all the problems surfaced. It annoyed me so I returned that too - after a week.

Assassin's Creed was a beautiful example of development and open-minded thinking. It looks good too. I don't play it much after completing it but I'm glad I bought it and played it. It's got shortcomings sure but certain sections like the banquet, the mental hospital and the executioner are coolios...As is riding up and into each city for the first time, clambering to the highest points and leaps of faith.

Beijing 2008 I don't play much but it's there for when I need it. It's what I expected.

Bladestorm is good crazy Japanese/medieval fun and sometimes feel like it.

Call of Duty 4 I've played online more than any other PS3 game.

Civilization Revolution annoys me cos it slows down. That's inexcusable.

Elder Scrolls is epic and magnificent.

Everybody's Golf got loadsa online play and is brilliant.

GTA 4 is good, not played it much though.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has had no play since the first week cos Race Driver GRID is better.

Heavenly Sword was hella fun and the shooty levels are brilliant, as are the big fighty levels.

MGS4 is my favourite game ever.

Motorstorm cost me 2 quid so I only need to play it for half an hour anyway, which I've done.

Pro Evo Soccer 08 has had good play.

Race Driver GRID is all kinds of genius.

Rock Band is grooviness.

Singstar is funfun.

Skate was a freebie from my boss when I left work. Wish I'd picked another game though like DIRT or something. It's good but not great.

Uncharted is brilliant Hollywood fun.

Warhawk got me the headset too! Yay! Played it to death for a couple of weeks then got COD4.

So yeah out of those I wouldn't miss Civilization or Gran Turismo. I could live without Skate or Motorstorm but play them from time to time.

I was generally fine up until this. I'm sorry, but DiRT was piss poor. The game looked amazing and the damage models were great, but for what was supposed to be a simulation of rally racing, it was anything but. The cars had no feeling of weight to them at all. The handling was just... ugh. It was an okay game, fun even, but it wasn't rally racing and that's what I expected. Just my own personal take there. Skate, meanwhile, is fucking awesome.

As for me? Colin McRae Rally 2005. Bought it on a whim, played for five minutes, then realized it was meh at best. :(

Silent Hill 2. I know I will finish this again, but my inability to play that fucking game for more than an hour before putting it down is really hindering me. It's my own fault for being way too affected by that game.

I will certainly second or third or fourth or whatever the SvR2008.

Mass Effect I expected to get a lot more play out of. Granted, I beat it once and it was a good experience, but I overhyped the game for myself, expecting to play it at least two times through. I can't be bothered now, and it's barely got any trade-in value so it's just sitting there. I haven't bothered with the downloadable content missions either because I'm too far along in my one save and I really don't wanna go through the game again for the DLC.

I would kind of agree on The Sims/The Sims 2, but I haven't spent money on The Sims 2 really, aside from the original game. I've never been able to really stick to the game. I usually have a buttload of mods, fuck around for a week or so, then get bored and move on, only to install it again a few months later.

As of right now, NBA 2K8 too. It's a good game, great even, but I bought it too close to 2K9's release date and I have too many other games I'm playing.

Lastly, my DS in general. I played the shit out of Pokemon, played a few of the Ace Attorney games, along with New Super Mario Bros. and Rune Factory, but it just became trade-in bait. No games really interested me. I kind of wish I had it back now, but fuck if I know if I'd play it.

Race Driver:GRID - got it free with my 360 played it once and not played it since

TNA Impact - poor game where almost every move is reversed, wrestlers have half entrnces, commentary is poor and had just the one storyline.

Fifa 08 - slow as hell got rid of it quick

Sonic and the secret rings - Another poor game in the Sonic franchize

Pro evo 08 (Wii version) annoying to control and got rid of it within a week

GTA LCS - Just couldn't get into it no matter how hard i tried

Halo 3 - Got sucked into the hype, had a lot of work to do the week I bought it and have completely forgot about it. Hasn't even been opened yet because I have literally no interest in playing it, but I don't want to trade it in and get $5 for a game I paid $60 for. Maybe someday I'll give a shit.

Enter the Matrix - Need I say more?

And a bunch of shitty XBLA games that I thought would be fun. Always get the demo first, kids!