Local Bands Thread

Tarheels.

So I figured this could be a good place to pimp out some of the more local bands that you guys have heard of. It'd be a nice way to get a bit more small bands some more recognition. Plus I'm sure YI has thousands of them to whore out to us :)

Here's a couple of bands from or around North Carolina to check out.

The Never

http://www.myspace.com/thenever

Lost In The Trees

http://www.myspace.com/lostinthetrees

All Get Out

http://www.myspace.com/LoudAsAllGetOut

Annuals

http://www.myspace.com/annuals

Here are some bands from Western, and Central PA that I enjoy.

The Clarks - they're more of a national act, but I think they're a GREAT pop/rock band and they're awesome live. They need more exposure.

Allanon - My friends' power metal band.

The Communist Neckties - A thrash/punk band my friends are in.

Nascent Vision - My band.

Gaffronomicon - This is no joke.

Matt, you're clearly rubbish. Leeds has LOOOOOADS of amazing bands; The Bacchae, Pulled Apart By Horses, The Dauntless Elite, Grammatics, I Concur, iLiKETRAiNS, The Terminals, The Magnificent etc. :shifty:

Here's some good ones from round here at the minute;

Indoor Fireworks

Catchy as hell indie-pop. MASSIVE choruses. Supported Feeder up here at their small Northumbria Uni show earlier in the year. Very much a Feeder style band. Fucking amazing. Still haven't caught them live yet, they play a lot, so I don't really have an excuse.

Razmataz Lorry Excitement

Awesome, LCD Soundsystem/DIOYY? style stuff. Missed him at Leeds, was proper gutted. Apparently he had a MASSIVE turnout, and was one of the 'bands' of the festival (from a couple of sources). Probably the closest thing to LCD Soundsystem I've heard, but a bit more dancey.

d_rradio

I've seen these twice this year, first supporting Stars Of The Lid, and secondly with post-rock band Spokes. So cool and chilled. Perfect chillout music. "A Life Alive" is probably their best tune, a bit 'dancier' and upbeat than most the rest of their stuff, but the rest is still awesome.

Former Cell Mates

Somewhere between The Gaslight Anthem, Leatherface and Hot Water Music. Top class stuff. Don't do enough gigs up here, despite being from Sunderland.

Short Term Effect

Brilliant acoustic artist I saw supporting Frank Turner earlier in the year.

Moira Stewert

Electro-Pop style band, which has shades of New Order at times. Their album tails off a bit towards the end, but have a bunch of good tunes.

Little Comets

Cool indie-pop band, with 'snappy' vocals. Been meaning to catch them for a while, but keep forgetting.

The Small Screen Light Show

2-person indie-rock band, just starting to get into them. If the girl was prettier they'd already be famous.

Peculiar Disco Moves

Only heard one tune on their myspace, but it's amazing. Plus, I just love their name.

The ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ's (The Alphabets)

Silly name, catchy band...ultimately going to be compared to The Zutons due to them having a saxophone.

Leeds has Kaiser Chiefs too <_<.

Eh Kilmarnock - nothing much. We have Biffy Clyro. Who I don't even like. That's about it.

As for my term time home of Glasgow though - we have so many amazing bands: I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. Except from Belle & Sebastian. There's Franz Ferdinand, The Fratellis and Glasvegas too, but we don't talk about them. <_<

Matt, you're clearly rubbish. Leeds has LOOOOOADS of amazing bands; The Bacchae, Pulled Apart By Horses, The Dauntless Elite, Grammatics, I Concur, iLiKETRAiNS, The Terminals, The Magnificent etc. :shifty:

Here's some good ones from round here at the minute;

Indoor Fireworks

Catchy as hell indie-pop. MASSIVE choruses. Supported Feeder up here at their small Northumbria Uni show earlier in the year. Very much a Feeder style band. Fucking amazing. Still haven't caught them live yet, they play a lot, so I don't really have an excuse.

Razmataz Lorry Excitement

Awesome, LCD Soundsystem/DIOYY? style stuff. Missed him at Leeds, was proper gutted. Apparently he had a MASSIVE turnout, and was one of the 'bands' of the festival (from a couple of sources). Probably the closest thing to LCD Soundsystem I've heard, but a bit more dancey.

d_rradio

I've seen these twice this year, first supporting Stars Of The Lid, and secondly with post-rock band Spokes. So cool and chilled. Perfect chillout music. "A Life Alive" is probably their best tune, a bit 'dancier' and upbeat than most the rest of their stuff, but the rest is still awesome.

Former Cell Mates

Somewhere between The Gaslight Anthem, Leatherface and Hot Water Music. Top class stuff. Don't do enough gigs up here, despite being from Sunderland.

Short Term Effect

Brilliant acoustic artist I saw supporting Frank Turner earlier in the year.

Moira Stewert

Electro-Pop style band, which has shades of New Order at times. Their album tails off a bit towards the end, but have a bunch of good tunes.

Little Comets

Cool indie-pop band, with 'snappy' vocals. Been meaning to catch them for a while, but keep forgetting.

The Small Screen Light Show

2-person indie-rock band, just starting to get into them. If the girl was prettier they'd already be famous.

Peculiar Disco Moves

Only heard one tune on their myspace, but it's amazing. Plus, I just love their name.

The ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ's (The Alphabets)

Silly name, catchy band...ultimately going to be compared to The Zutons due to them having a saxophone.

I thought we were talking about real local bands, i.e. ones that play in pubs/clubs and don't have a proper record deal.

Besides that, I was talking about bands within my local area, I just put Leeds on my location cos no-one will know where Pontefract/Castleford are...

From what I know of YI's list:

d_rradio, I've only heard one song of theirs, off one of the Gaylists. It's pretty good.

Former Cell Mates are superb. Unfortunately, most of the audience didn't give a fuck about them and just wanted Gaslight. Really good band.

I swear I've seen Short Term Effect before, but I haven't got a clue where or when.

I saw Small Screen Light Show about two years ago, playing with my mate's band. They were shit at the time, so they must have come a long way.