EWB Around the Horn

Blitz

ATH.png

Okay, hopefully you've seen the show on ESPN. If you haven't ATH is a talk show-type show where four sports analysts from all of the USA compete for points awarded by the host. Points are awarded for good points, three for an excellent statement and two for a good one. You can also be muted, which takes away a point and mutes you for ten seconds. The first thing I need is four people here that are willing to talk about pretty much anything in sports. Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, golf, whatever the topic happens to be. If we don't get four soon then I'll leave signups open and the first episode will be tomarrow at about this time, maybe a little earlier. So, leave your name and where your from.

1.) Ayaz Hyder

2.) J.J.J.J.S.

3.) Cole Killingbeck

4.) Nick Brummer

Edited by Blitz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

021106_Kellerman.jpg

Max Kellerman: Welcome boys and girls, to EWB Around the Horn. ESPN fired me, so now I'm back taking their idea and hosting the Horn once again. Let's introduce today's competitors. From Edison, New Jersey welcome Ayaz Hyder.

Hyder gives a weak wave, and Kellerman continues.

Max Kellerman: Next, the man with the longest name ever; Johnny Joe Joe Juinor Slimadoo, from B-town Massachusetts. From down South in Texas, welcome Cole "I'm Gonna Kill You" Killingbeck. And finally, Nick Brummer from the NBDL capital of the world, Huntsville, Alabama.

The first game we play is "The First Word." This is pretty simple, each contestent gets two replys to make their points, and I'll award points in between. Here's the first topic boys and girls.

Monday, Dolphin's running back Ricky Williams told the team "I'm done with football."  Williams quit on the team, his teammates, the Miami fans, and the NFL as a whole.  How does this transaction not just the Miami Dolphins but the NFL as a whole?

Ayaz, you start us off.

This is a great news for that division in particular. The schedule had been gift wrapped for them this with no cold weather games for them in December which always led to their downfall. This is a team in ruins. The Patriots stuffed Rickey......they will simply feast on Minor. Having two Quarterbacks means you have NO quarterbacks. Fiedler and Feeley don't scare anybody.....especially with Travis Minor as the starting running back. It's going to be a typical Dolphins season......all take in the offseason and then falling down hard when the time comes to show up.

Edited by sahyder1

7 Points awarded to Hyder

Max Kellerman: Your right, last year Feely threw for thirteen interceptions, and only eleven touchdowns, but things change in time. Heck, the Dolphins defense might be able to be the best thing in Florida next to Shaq Daddy!

Quadruple J, let's here from you.

Sorry I was late.

I didn't understand a word that Hyder said. Anyway this is horrible for the NFL. Ricky was young and talented. The NFL needs runningbacks like him that can play well. The runningback is an underrated position. Who is Travis Minor anyway? The NFL doesn't need no name players, this hurts the Dolphins no fans want to watch them anymore... they have no one that anyone wants to see...

Yeah I had nothing move on.

(OOC: "ESPN fired me, so now I'm back taking their idea and hosting the Horn once again." Opening of the show ;).)

Max Kellerman: So your saying the NFL needs more players like Ricky Williams who quit in their prime and leave their team up a creek about one or two weeks before training camp starts? Of course the Dolphins still have recognizable players on their team. They still have one of the most dominate defenses in the league that casts Zach Thomas and Junior Seau at the linebacker positions. But I agree, it is horrible for the NFL that Williams retired. Five points for 4J. Let's here from the Killer.

For Episode 2 can we get more active people please.....or set some kind of a time limit

Consider me a sign-up for episode 2, or a replacement for anyone who doesn't reply in a timely fashion to this one....

If that's okay with Blitz, that is.

Max, it looks like Cole came down with stage fright or a sore throat, or something. So I'm stepping in.

Brian Floyd, Knoxville, Tennessee.

I think Williams leaving the NFL is a good thing for him, but a bad thing for the Dolphins. The Saints didn't use Williams to his full potential, and by the look of things, the Dolphins likely would have done the opposite this season, making him overworked. And when someone is overworked, that means a greater risk of injury. He's already been injured enough in the past.

It'll hurt Miami's ticket sales some, but they'll recover. No matter if you're a star player or a no-name, you can always be replaced. I don't know if they'll be able to recoup enough of the money they were supposed to pay him, but if they do, you can bet they'll sign another name player....someone not as prolific, maybe....to take his place when it comes to drawing in fans. Whether that player will be able to replace him on the field, though, will remain to be seen.

I don't see his leaving having any effect on the NFL whatsoever, unless they decide to make some changes to the way contracts are handled in case of something happening like this again. And I don't see that happening.

Frankly, if I was Williams, I'd have done the same thing. He's young, and he's made enough money from the NFL already, so why should he risk suffering a serious, even possibly permanent, injury, if he doesn't have to?

Of course, I doubt the Dolphins and their fans feel the same way....

edit: Not part of my argument, but according to ESPN, he failed a drug test (tested positive for Marijuana). He would have been suspended for the first four games of the season if he hadn't retired, so that lessens the impact of his loss to the team this season a little bit.

Edited by GhostMachine