EWB Around the Horn

Blitz

Yes I was late to the thread... I said I was sorry but I had other things to do. I didn't get onto EWB until the time I posted that. I didn't really need 3 PMs. It wasn't like I just ignored them :-/. I'm hear now so all I'm saying is don't call me inactive. Oh and its slimg not slimq.

Just let Wrestling_Man step in.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max Kellerman:  Good argument Ghost, 8 points.  Anyone for a last argument.

More of a statement then argument. It's quite sad that this once promising running back from Texas has done this to himself. Two ex-Bears coaches put their futures on the line in trusting this kid and they ended up paying for it. Ditka traded away like 10 picks to draft him.....and then the Wannestedt and the Dolphins sent a few first rounders. That's two teams who've had to pay for trusting this man. The next time we hear about Ricky Williams will be 10-15 years down the line and Jeremy Schaap hosting Outside the Lines will give you a story that'll try and make you feel sorry for yet another athlete recovering from drug problems while being bankrupt.

Edited by sahyder1

021106_Kellerman.jpg

Max Kellerman: Welcome boys and girls, to EWB Around the Horn. ESPN fired me, so now I'm back taking their idea and hosting the Horn once again. Let's introduce today's competitors. Here's today's competitos: slimg, BacknBlackHoez, *RDB*, and GhostMachine.

The first game we play is "The First Word." This is pretty simple, each contestent gets two replys to make their points, and I'll award points in between. Here's the first topic boys and girls.

The Boston Red Sox finally traded away their star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs.  Now first off, I'm surprised Nomar didn't land in NEW YORK playing second base with Jeter and A-Rod.  Contestents?  Who got the better end of this deal?

slimg, you start us off.

Simple, The cubs. The Cubs picked up minor leaguer Matt Murton who batted .344 at Georgia Tech. That guy has potential but hasn't shown the best numbers in Minors. But then you have to factor in the Cubs getting No-mah! Nomar has to be in the top 3 shortstops. He could be number 2 now that A-Rod plays 3rd base. The cubs have people who can hit homeruns and with the addition of Nomar they have someone who can get them base hits. Plus if all goes well in Chi town the cubs can resign Nomar at the end of the year. The cubs have a killer offense and when Prior and Wood get 100% the Cubs have a great shot at the World Series.

**9 points awarded to slimg**

Max Kellerman: Good points there, but the Cubs can't rely on Prior, he has shown this season that he isn't fully healthy, and Wood is a healthy kid anymore either. BacknBlackHoez, why don't you give us your opinion?

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Well Max its plain to see the Chicag....NO, the Boston Red Sox definalty got the better end of the deal. They trade away Nomar, who, yes, was beloved in Boston for years, but times have changed. He was very hurt in the off-season when the Red Sox openly went after A-Rod, and basically said they would just give Nomar away if they got A-Rod, well they didnt get A-Rod, and then they were left with an un-happy superstar.

Even picking up Nomar doesnt solve all the problems the Cubs have, can they get Wood & Prior healthy? will Sammy still get booed? Will Latroy Hawkins show the same talent in the 2nd half like he did the whole year last year in Minnesota? Nomar has only played in 21 games this year, due to an injury, which now there are rumors that he may have been faking an injury. While Nomar will be good in Chicgao, the reason i say Boston got the better of the deal is that because they picked up orlando Cabrera, an excellent young Shortstop, with great range & very good hands on the field, wont be a homerun hitter in Boston, because he will pull alot of the hits to left field, and bang them off the big green monster. They also get 1st baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who will be good coming off the bench, we know of David Ortiz's fielding problems at 1st, and Kevin Millar is still getting used to first base after coming back from the DL.

So basically they got 2 solid, younger, happy players with very bright future, and what did they give in return an un-happy, slipping super-star, great trade for Boston.

Huh, what do you mean it's my turn..

Oh, sorry about that:

Max.. you ever hear the adage of a bad apple spoiling the crop?

Well it doesn't apply here Max, the Cubs got the best deal for Nomar, and Boston looks like fools letting 2 future hall of fame caliber shortstops walk out of Bean Town while the Yankees continue piling wins up "this season". That's all I care about, we know the Yankees are going to reload every year, that's what they do.. and we know every year regardless of what management says Boston is going to try and keep pace. Now as long as Boston shows that they don't know entirely which direction they want to go, be it sign expensive free agents like Schilling and Foulke or go after young prospects like they did in this deal, we're going to quickly find out that Theo is going to have to jump on one side of the fence or the other..

So yes, as of now the Cubs got the best end of the stick, look at them, they're winning ball games and when the pitchers they have get a little run support they get the confidence they need to make it to the World Series. They have the rotation, and now they have one more "happy" bat.

You know who I think got the best deal out of this trade? The Expos! They got Alex Gonzalez. With the team's attendance being down and the Expos having an uncertain future, they're lucky to have been able to get anyone, instead of trading away someone they really needed for some single-A level prospects that might not even make it to the majors.

That said, I'd have to say the Cubs got the better deal....in the short term. Like slimg said, Nomar is the 2nd or 3rd best shortstop in the majors right now. The Red Sox got....a decent (but not as good as Nomar) shortstop in Orlando Cabrera, and Doug Mientkiewicz, who will likely be backing up David Ortiz for a while. There shouldn't even be a question of who got the better deal...RIGHT NOW. It depends on if the Cubs can keep Nomar around for several more years, or if he decides to go somewhere else once his contract is up, or asks to be traded out of the Cubs organization at some point. The minor league prospects that were traded around by all the teams involved don't even figure into the equation because they're unproven in the majors. Just because someone hits a lot of home runs or wins a lot of games in the minors doesn't mean they'll do the same in the big leagues. Just like it doesn't mean jack when going from Little League to High School or from High School to College. So I see the prospects as an x-factor.

One thing I'd like to mention is something that Backn brought up: The rumors that Nomar may have been faking the injury. Why exactly would you fake an injury? If you're on the DL, you're bringing your career stats down, and if you want off the team, wouldn't it be simpler to just go to management, demand a trade, and refuse to play if you don't get it? I don't believe he was faking, but if he was and the truth ever comes out, forget everything I said, because that would mean Boston got the better end of the deal by getting rid of someone with that kind of character.

And the Cubs may be undefeated since acquiring Nomar, but I think Nomar made a mistake in opting out of Beantown. I'm calling it right now: Boston will make it to the final round of the AL playoffs, and maybe even to the Series itself. The Cubs will be lucky to make it to the postseason, and will definitely be a wild card team if they do. I don't see them surging back to beat the Cards for the division title unless Pujols and half the Cardinals' rotation end up on the 60-day DL.

Too bad, because a Red Sox\Cubs World Series would REALLY be interesting after this trade.

Edited by GhostMachine

*11 points for teh Ghost*

Max Kellerman: Next topic boys.

Sources close to the New Jersey Nets franchise say that Jason Kidd MIGHT get traded in the near future.  Possible teams that are in the running for Kidd, is Kidd's former the the Dallas Mavericks, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the San Antonio Spurs.  Contestents, what do you think the chances are that he will get traded, and which team will it be that gets him?

[OOC: Hopefully we get the topic finished before a trade actually happens :shifty: ]

*11 points for teh Ghost*

Max Kellerman:  Next topic boys.

Sources close to the New Jersey Nets franchise say that Jason Kidd MIGHT get traded in the near future.  Possible teams that are in the running for Kidd, is Kidd's former the the Dallas Mavericks, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the San Antonio Spurs.  Contestents, what do you think the chances are that he will get traded, and which team will it be that gets him?

[OOC: Hopefully we get the topic finished before a trade actually happens :shifty: ]

Ok Around the horn to me, Max you crazy little man..

First of all I must say the New Jersey Nets are possibly one of the worst ran teams in the NBA in my opinon. Throwing away a good coach who hadn't proven anything wrong other than having to meet up with a superior team, getting rid of one of your better younger stars in Kittles/Martin, and now pretty much giving Kidd an excuse to leave NJ. Pitiful.. but on to topic

Jason Kidd still can go in my opinion and he has that winners desire Max. The man has been easily the best PG in the game for let's see 10 years and still no rings. There's no way he stays in NJ unless he decides then and there he rather retire a rich man than with a ring. Jason Kidd is not getting any younger however and has already shown after stops in Phoenix and now NJ that he will not stay just for money.

So who does he wind up at, I believe the best situation for him is between L.A. and Dallas. There is a chance he may wind up S.A. but only if he wants his minutes hugely reduced whereas if he went to the other 2 teams he'd be playing full time minutes.

I want to say Dallas, but my heart and common sense tell me L.A. L.A. has just made a trade on the 6th sending away hated Laker Gary "S." Payton.. this opens the door for Kidd to step right into Yellow and Purple shoes.. It's a good fit so I got Kidd to L.A. in a close finish at the end with Dallas's Mark Cuban once again finding no way to get rid of the aged players (Stackhouse and Latener) that he signed in the first place.

Keep in mind though, it'll be close.. don't get me wrong, Dallas has PG Jason Terry from Atlanta to bait NJ into maybe trading for, but L.A.'s starlight will attract Kidd.