Former Gretna Chairman Dies

Scott McFly

Brooks Mileson, the former owner of Gretna Football Club, has died at the age of 60 after a long illness.

He was found at his home in Blackford, near Carlisle, on Monday morning.

Mileson became one of the most high-profile figures in the Scottish game, bankrolling Gretna from non-league to the Scottish Premier League.

During those five years of success, Gretna also reached the Scottish Cup final in 2006 and made a brief appearance in the Uefa Cup.

But Mileson withdrew from public view last season amid reports of increasing ill-health, his finances were withdrawn and Gretna were relegated after just one season in Scotland's top-flight.

The club from the village on Scotland's border with England eventually went out of business in June.

Prior to that, his profile could not have been higher.

Mention his name and the image of a chain-smoking pony-tailed eccentric leaps to mind.

He was Mr Gretna - taking them from the obscurity of England's Unibond League to the top level of Scottish football - if only for one season.

They also reached the Scottish Cup final, losing to Hearts, a result that earned them European football, though they were humbled by Derry City.

Earlier this year, Mileson was admitted to hospital with a brain infection and though he was released, neither he nor Gretna ever fully recovered.

A new club, Gretna 2008, was formed from the ashes of the original Gretna FC and currently play in the East of Scotland League.

James Grady signed for Gretna from Dundee United and he remembers Mileson with fondness.

Grady told BBC Scotland: "In my first game for Gretna at home, I turned up and I met Brooks hoovering the bar area. He didn't expect anyone to do anything that he wouldn't do himself.

"He was just a one-off. I don't think we'll get anyone else like him.

"He wanted to get to the Premier League and into Europe, but I don't think he actually believed it himself."

Grady thought it was amazing that the club achieved so much in such a short period.

"He felt he could do it, but to do it in three consecutive seasons, winning the title, getting to a Scottish Cup final and into Europe as well - he just had a hunger and drive in him that I had never seen in any man before."

Credit: BBC

He did everything he could for Gretna - he took them from the lowest of lows and took them to the SPL dance. Obviously his health and finances meant things were short-lived after that, but they had a mighty good run while they lasted and Brooks was the man behind the rise and rise, and eventual fall of the club.

Rest in peace.

Noooooooo Brooks.

Gah, he was.. kinda localish to us. That sucks so much. I know a few people who have met him personally, he seemed to take a big interest in youngsters and any sports they played. Used to show up and talk with youngsters at the Cumbria Young Sports Player awards on his own accord.

He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, so again, for his sake.

Nooooooo.

There I was hoping he'd get better so he could reinvest his millions into another nothing division football club just for kicks.

He knew he was ill and luckily he managed to get his team into the SPL before his illnesses really sank in. I think he even rewrote his will so that he would be able to give Gretna everything when he popped his clogs... which has come just a bit too late.

As IAceI said he seemed a good guy, a little crazy but still... who wouldn't want their local pub team to jump 3 divisions if they knew they could easily.

RIP Brooks Mileson

I'm not going to lie, I didn't like Gretna and I didn't like what Mileson did for Scottish football, but like The General said, if he'd done what he'd did with Gretna (apart from abandoning ship) with St. Johnstone, I know I wouldn't have complained a bit.

So aye, RIP. Never nice when someone dies.

Gretna FC were a remarkable story, and Mileson was behind it. Yes, he did it by bank-rolling them into the top flight, but all the same, madness. Five years ago they were nothing, and playing low Unibond football, and in such a short space of time he took them to the SPL and the Cup final. Obviously theyve disappeared even more abruptly, but all the same.

My heart sank a bit when I saw this. It's very sad news, he was a true football man. He did a lot for a LOT of clubs, but obviously a lot for Gretna. And it was hard work too. It wasn't just money that got Gretna up the leagues.

RIP Brooks.

I was never his biggest fan, though that may partially derive from Gretna's two victories over Kilmarnock last season. <_< Nevertheless, his spirit and enthusiasm during the rise of Gretna, particularly in the cup final, was inspiring. Just a shame it came to such a sour end.

RIP

I only count one that they beat us, but yeah it doesn't matter, genuinely nice guy and someone with a such a passion for the beautiful game, it is sad to hear of this news.

I'm fairly sure we were beaten by them twice but don't quote me on it. I remember going to Fir Park and watching us get beaten there which was a bit annoying. I'm think we were beaten at home too.

Anyway as I said before I wasn't the greatest fan of him or Gretna but it's a real shame how it ended.

Gretna getting to the cup final was fantastic though, regardless of the money spent getting them there.