Greatest band names

YI

"Jean Claude Jam Band"

...close the thread. :shifty:

Also helps they're one of the awesome crop of bluesy-punk/rock bands (eg. Gaslight Anthem, Pedals On Our Pirate Ships, Former Cell Mates, The King Blues, The Loved Ones, The Magnificent, Get Bent, Two Cow Garage, The Amistad, The Sidekicks, Apologies I Have None, Ghost Town Trio etc.).

Edited by YI

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty good.

I was once in a band called 'Daddy or Chips?' And I've always liked 'Danananananakroyd'. It's incredibly hard to think of a well-known band with a genuinely good name. I can think of some 'simple but effective' ones (The Fall, Slint, Big Black, The Smiths), but none that are really creative. 'The Beatles' is a (quite probably self-aware) shit pun. 'Half Man, Half Biscuit', a band that 'should' have a great name, have... a shit one.

EDIT: I will defend 'till the day I die 'I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness' as a great band name. It usually divides people quite a bit, but I think it's just about on the right side of ridiculousness and is likely somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

The latter part of my post, "Pedals On Our Pirate Ships" and "Two Cow Garage"...awesome band names too.

Being a fan of punk-rock, you basically become immune to really shit names, as generally, if you say a punk-rock bands name outloud...you shudder and think "ewwww".

As for 'mainstream' bands...hmmm...there's none off to top of my head where I think "awesome". For some reason, I really do like "Maximo Park", and I honestly have no idea why.

"Scissors For Lefty", awesome band name...whatever happened to them?

Also, "Twat Appetizer" > "AnalCunt"...just randomly throwing that out there.

"Andrew Jackson Jihad", quality name...if you don't listen to them already Fuckshit, you should...as you were going on about Frank Turner not being an angry man anymore...they're the definition of angry.

I love band names that make me giggle a bit...like "Scallywagon", "Razmataz Lorry Excitement" etc.

Also..."...light" seems to work. As I love both "Streetlight Manifesto" (I don't cringe when saying it) and "The Gaslight Anthem" (again, don't cringe), even though both are quite 'weird'.

"The Libertines" was a name and a half too.

Edited by YI

'Twat Appetizer' and 'Andrew Jackson Jihad' are both excellent names. I shall check out AJJ. Thanks for the tip.

'Streetlight Manifesto' is a bit cringe to me; just for the use of 'manifesto' in a band name. I would put 'The Libertines' with the 'simple but effective' band names. (Which is what I think they were going for, given their obvious debts owed to The Clash and The Jam).

'House of Large Sizes' is a name I've always liked. 'Doctor and the Crippens' falls somewhere between 'fantastic' and 'shit whimsy' (in that category, see also: '? and the Mysterians', 'Mark Lansing and his Board of Water and Light', 'The Flaming Sideburns' and 'Sick Terrific Nosebleeds'). Also, '?...' are cool because everyone bangs on about '!!!' being a kerazy and subversive band-name, but the Mysterians did exactly the same thing, basically, in 1962.

I quite like 'The Future of the Left'. Better than 'Mclusky' anyway.

I do like Gaslight Anthem quite a lot as a name. Guns N Roses is a good name if you just think about the name itself, kind of a bit of both worlds, hard and soft.

I'm not a big fan of most band names though, especially names like "As I Lay Dying" and such like that. I don't like names that sound they should be names of songs more than the band.

Ah, yeah, 'Casiotone for the Painfully Alone' is one I was going to mention.

For me, stuff like 'CunningLynguists' and 'Unexplained Bacon' are no good because they're not original. The former is a well-established pun and the latter is just a Simpsons reference.

It really shouldn't be hard to think of a great band name. Me and my mate had an MSN conversation, the intention of which was to fill our Facebook 'Favourite Music' section with ridiculous band names. 'Diagnosis: Girder!', 'Hand Shandy Behind Tandy', 'The quietLOUDquiets', 'Ernie Earnest and the Stiff Upper Lips'... those are all great.

For me, stuff like 'CunningLynguists' and 'Unexplained Bacon' are no good because they're not original. The former is a well-established pun and the latter is just a Simpsons reference.

But they're funny and catch the attention. And that's all that really matters.

I don't agree. Someone who names their band 'Unexplained Bacon' has no more proved an ability to come up with a great band name than someone who can reel off the 'Pet Shop' sketch has proven his ability as a comedy writer. And if 'catching attention' is the/a major consideration, then that leads to the conclusion that stuff like '!!!' and 'Selfish Cunt' are 'great' names, when they're just lazy, cynical attempts at generating publicity (moreso in the latter case than the former).

But they're funny and catch the attention. And that's all that really matters.

I don't agree. Someone who names their band 'Unexplained Bacon' has no more proved an ability to come up with a great band name than someone who can reel off the 'Pet Shop' sketch has proven his ability as a comedy writer. And if 'catching attention' is the/a major consideration, then that leads to the conclusion that stuff like '!!!' and 'Selfish Cunt' are 'great' names, when they're just lazy, cynical attempts at generating publicity (moreso in the latter case than the former).

You do know your s/n is Emperor Fuckshit right? :shifty:

Edit. Had it as Fuckishit which is just plain fabulous

Edited by QuomQuat

You do know your s/n is Emperor Fuckshit right? :shifty:

Edit. Had it as Fuckishit which is fabulous

I wish my s/n were 'Emperor Fuckishit'. Emperor Fuckshit actually was the pseudonym of the guitarist for not-very-good goth/punk band Tales of Terror. I think it just about gets a pass on the basis of being too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Although, yeah, I was 16 when I signed up for EWB and would probably like a do-over on the username front.