The Inevitable January Transfer Market Topic

Crybaby Bunting

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone may have to help me out here, in case I'm missing something: do Chelsea, with their full-back-relient 4-3-3 formation, now have only a single left-back in their entire squad? <_<

Apparently, yes.

Edited by stokeriño

I thought I heard Bridge was expendable because Scolari wanted to use Belleti in a left-back role though.

Oh and...

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has made Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland his main transfer window target after accepting defeat in his bid to sign Everton's Mikel Arteta. (News of the World)

Good fucking luck.

Edited by Clawson

Right Back, but I'm not certain he can't or hasn't played at Left Back.

Essien can play on either side at the back too I think, but he's better off in midfield. Ashley Cole seems like the only one standing now. An injury to him and they'd be playing players out of position. That makes me think Chelsea MUST have a LB in mind to buy in the window.

Essien has been used pretty much everywhere on the pitch as a utility player in the past, short of up-front, to varying degrees of success. But then he's not back until at least March anyway.

I'm not amazingly optimistic at how well we'll come out of this transfer window.

Edited by stokeriño

Well partially. That and attitude and professionalism.

If my team selections were based totally on scrabble I'd have a bunch of Greeks playing for me.

And Venegoor of Hesselink, he must cover all three treble word scores on a row :shifty:

St. Johnstone used to have a player called Neil Janyzck. Thus we named him Scrabble.

We're, if nothing else, a witty bunch in the Scottish lower leagues.

Any idea why Attila Sekerlioglu (once named Squiggly Igloo by one of my English mates) was called Dino?

Dino was a legend though, coming over and doing his Mexican wave to all sides of the stadium, that had Saintees supporters in them, at the end of every game.

I remember Neil Janyzck from Hearts.

Don't you have Kevin Rutkiewicz as well?

Indeed we do. Skippered us against Rangers at Hampden in last seasons Scottish Cup Semi-Final. He was unreal that day. I felt gutted for him when we lost on penalties.

Any idea why Attila Sekerlioglu (once named Squiggly Igloo by one of my English mates) was called Dino?

Dino was a legend though, coming over and doing his Mexican wave to all sides of the stadium, that had Saintees supporters in them, at the end of every game.

Not quite sure, a few years before my time although I do remember him. I'll ask my dad, he knows an arseload about older Saints stuff.

Oh, and Janyzck was fucking murder and we punted him to Brechin. Although he took a turn in goal away to Dundee when we'd used all our subs and our keeper got malked, so I suppose he wasn't all bad...

Edited by Turbo Yannis

I thought I heard Bridge was expendable because Scolari wanted to use Belleti in a left-back role though.

Oh and...

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has made Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland his main transfer window target after accepting defeat in his bid to sign Everton's Mikel Arteta. (News of the World)

Good fucking luck.

Cant see there being any chance of them getting Ireland, certainly not while Hughes is there. He's been by far their best player this season and it doesn't matter what big names they bring in, he deserves to be kept in the team. I also see him as a more loyal person to the club. Still cant believe how much he's improved.

Oh and...

Good fucking luck.

NOTW for breaking transfer news? :lol: