The last of the Euro '96 semi-finalists retires

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge Mourinho never really broke into a senior club, never really played professional football regularly.

He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his father by becoming a footballer and he joined the Belenenses youth team. Graduating to the senior level, he played at Rio Ave, where his father was coach, Belenenses and Sesimbra but it became evident that he would not excel as a professional, lacking the requisite pace and power. Conceding to his shortcomings, he chose to pursue the dream of becoming a professional football coach instead. His mother had different ideas altogether and enrolled him in a business school. Mourinho attended the school but dropped out on his first day, deciding he would rather focus on sport, and chose to attend the Instituto Superior de Educação Física (ISEF) to study sports science. He taught physical education at various schools and after five years he had earned his diploma, receiving consistently good marks throughout the course. After attending coaching courses held by the English and Scottish Football Associations, former Scotland manager Andy Roxburgh took note of the young Portuguese's drive and attention to detail. Mourinho sought to redefine the role of coach in football, mixing coaching theory with motivational and psychological techniques.

That's what Wikipedia says, which I know isn't always accurate, but I don't remember it ever being mentioned Mourinho played 3 or 4 seasons at any club.

To my knowledge Mourinho never really broke into a senior club, never really played professional football regularly.

He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his father by becoming a footballer and he joined the Belenenses youth team. Graduating to the senior level, he played at Rio Ave, where his father was coach, Belenenses and Sesimbra but it became evident that he would not excel as a professional, lacking the requisite pace and power. Conceding to his shortcomings, he chose to pursue the dream of becoming a professional football coach instead. His mother had different ideas altogether and enrolled him in a business school. Mourinho attended the school but dropped out on his first day, deciding he would rather focus on sport, and chose to attend the Instituto Superior de Educação Física (ISEF) to study sports science. He taught physical education at various schools and after five years he had earned his diploma, receiving consistently good marks throughout the course. After attending coaching courses held by the English and Scottish Football Associations, former Scotland manager Andy Roxburgh took note of the young Portuguese's drive and attention to detail. Mourinho sought to redefine the role of coach in football, mixing coaching theory with motivational and psychological techniques.

That's what Wikipedia says, which I know isn't always accurate, but I don't remember it ever being mentioned Mourinho played 3 or 4 seasons at any club.

He did, not sure if it was professional or semi-pro, but he played for a few years... I was watching a documentary about him a few months ago.

'64-'65 Scottish First Division

Best Scottish football season ever! :D

Why do I get the feeling you've waited for 3 years for the ideal opportunity to mention that?

Why do I get the feeling you've waited for 3 years for the ideal opportunity to mention that?

We mention it every time the ideal opportunity comes up. Everytime someone says 65 we always remind them of when that we won the league that year, and as such it is the greatest year of them all. It also came one year before the worst :shifty:

WHO WON THE SCOTTISH LEAGUE IN 1965?

AND THE BLUES GO MARCHING ON

GLORY GLORY AYRSHIRE KILLIE

AND THE BLUES GO MARCHING ON

I'm glad they've stopped playing that so much. Going on about winning the 1965 league in 2008 was a bit embarassing.

We mention it every time the ideal opportunity comes up. Everytime someone says 65 we always remind them of when that we won the league that year, and as such it is the greatest year of them all. It also came one year before the worst :shifty:

You're sound just as bad as my Villa-supporting mate who basically has a wank whenever somebody mentions the number 82 :shifty: