Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

The more I listen to it, the more I love it. That chorus is proper epic.

"These Four Walls" by We Were Promised Jetpacks is probably my favourite album of the year so far, I've listened to it so much this past week and it just keeps getting better and better. Part Frightened Rabbit (who I'm ashamed to say I've only recently got into), part Snow Patrol and part early Bloc Party (and even a smidge of early Arcade Fire towards the end with "Short Bursts" and "Keeping Warm"), it's not particularly reinventing the wheel, and lyrically it's not the strongest album ever written, but it's one amazing song after another, songs you just want to scream along too. Plus the sheer Scottish'ness of the singer's voice is really charming.

YERRRRR BODY WAS BLACK UND BLEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!! YERRRRR BODY WAS BLACK UND BLEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Okay...new Mars Volta tune, "Cotopaxi" is fucking awesome. THEY'VE ACTUALLY WRITTEN A SONG!!! WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MOKNhYvZc

Oh, and Crystal Castles...it's all dependent and where and when they play. In a tent, in the dark, I imagine it would be badass. But I saw them (I were fucked/dicking about with a footbal) at Evolution Festival last year, big stage, in the open, in the light...and it was a bit shit...and Alice Glass fell off the stage.

Edited by YI

If they're not in a tent I'm not going to bother. They've got a few decent enough songs but it'll be all about the "it's about to kick off" atmosphere.

I just got round to listening to an old Gaylist, and I have come to a conclusion: I must have more Doppler Effect stuff. 'Let's Get Rowdy Roddy Piper' is the best song I've heard in ages.

Okay...new Mars Volta tune, "Cotopaxi" is fucking awesome. THEY'VE ACTUALLY WRITTEN A SONG!!! WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!!!

Oh, and Crystal Castles...it's all dependent and where and when they play. In a tent, in the dark, I imagine it would be badass. But I saw them (I were fucked/dicking about with a footbal) at Evolution Festival last year, big stage, in the open, in the light...and it was a bit shit...and Alice Glass fell off the stage.

The fuck is wrong with that girl? She fell off the stage when my friend when to see them. Idiot :/

The fuck is wrong with that girl? She fell off the stage when my friend when to see them. Idiot :/

Probably part of the act. :shifty:

So many bands are really growing on me all at once, that with balancing all the great music in 09 is giving me a huge clusterfuck of a bunch of good music that I have to sideline to really listen to.

Crystal Castles I'm really starting to love and Radiohead's warming up on me even more. I got a bunch of new Pavement, Depeche Mode and the new side project of Stuart Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian(the remake of Funny Little Frog = fantastic.) and those have been the highlights of a week in which I haven't had my laptop for half of it.

EDIT: Oh and didn't notice you guys were talking about Crystal Castles, listened to them again after I deleted them and then found them on a friends iPod(who (L)'s BSS, Neutral Milk Hotel, the basic really likeable stuff) and now that I've given them a chance it's wonderful, wonderful.

Edited by Mr. Evil Guy

Yeah it's with the girl singer. The side project is 'God Help The Girl'. It's pretty fancy.

Could you tell me where I might hear the funny little frog remake please?:)

Oh and in the next couple of weeks I have Bob Dylan and Friendly Fires lined up. Cool.

Edited by aluminiumman!

I did, too. For the longest time, actually(only about two weeks ago I've changed my mind). Then I listened to Jigsaw Falling Into Place and a bunch of In Rainbows stuff with quality headphones and it made me go :o.

I've got a lot more stuff from them and really fapped hard to listening to them since, it's fantastic.

Right...because I can't sleep - my top 36 songs of 2009:

1. The Fear - Lily Allen (shut up it's awesome. <_<)

2. Lua - Conor Oberst & Gillian Welch

3. One Off Pretender - The View

4. Knotty Pine - Dirty Projectors & David Byrne

5. What Love Can Do - Bruce Springsteen

6. And It's Alright - Peter Broderick

7. I Was Only Going Out - Loney, Dear

8. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Morrissey

9. Lady Don't Fall Backwards - Peter Doherty

10. Everything Turns To You - Loney, Dear

11. Train Song - Feist & Ben Gibbard

12. Ballad Of The Unsent Letter - Aidan Moffat & The Best-Ofs

13. French Navy - Camera Obscura

14. Skeleton Boy - Friendly Fires (I know the album was 2008 but single is 2009 so it's allowed...)

15. Big Blonde - Aidan Moffat & The Best-Ofs

16. Black Wax - Dananananaykroyd

17. The Rake's Song - The Decemberists

18. Turn It On - Franz Ferdinand

19. The Flyting Of Grief & Joy (Eternal Return) - Alasdair Roberts

20. Honey In The Sun - Camera Obscura

21. Twilight Omens - Franz Ferdinand

22. Lenin - Arcade Fire

23. With A Girl Like You - Dave Sitek

24. Oh Men! - Aidan Moffat & The Best-Ofs

25. Funny Little Frog - God Help The Girl

26. You Muses Assist - Alasdair Roberts

27. Cello Song - The Books Feat. Jose Gonzalez

28. The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid - The Decemberists

29. So Far Around The Bend - The National

30. Small World - Jake Flowers

31. The Shrew - Beirut

32. Sorry Doesn't Help - Morrissey

33. La Llorona - Beirut

34. Harsh Words - Loney, Dear

35. For Beginners - M. Ward

36. I Am The Rain - Peter Doherty

I did, too. For the longest time, actually(only about two weeks ago I've changed my mind). Then I listened to Jigsaw Falling Into Place and a bunch of In Rainbows stuff with quality headphones and it made me go :o.

I've got a lot more stuff from them and really fapped hard to listening to them since, it's fantastic.

'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi' through Rockit5s made me go from hating the living hell out of In Rainbows, to loving it to death and back. It's really rather great.