Best online first-person shooter

betterguy

I'm really out of the loop on games in general. I'd just like to know what's regarded as the best online first-person shooter at the moment, and also what's your favourite?

The ones I've read about are Call of Duty, Halo, Resistance, and I know Killzone 2 coming February is supposed to be good. Are these the best? I'm generally referring more to console games, but wouldn't mind knowing the best PC games either.

I assume COD World at War is more popular online than COD4, and Halo 3 is the most popular Halo?

The ones that I've played are Halo on PC briefly, COD4 on 360 briefly, and the two Resistance games.

In terms of 360 popularity, World at War has been topping the activity charts most weeks since it's release. Halo 3 ususally follows but CoD4 is still popular and is normally 3rd or 4th.

Halo 3. COD(both 4 and WaW) have spawn problems, and they will have you join in the middle of a game when your team is about to lose, giving you a loss for nothing, Also, if the host turns off his X-Box, you are taking back to the lobby and everyone gets a loss. Why these problems haven't been fixed, I will never know.

Don't get me wrong, they are both good games, and they have a lot more features than Halo like perks and classes, but in Halo, all the guns are equal, and the matchmaking is much better IMO.

The only other FPS's I can think of is Battlefield:Bad Company, which is a great game but not many people have it and it is an EA game so the servers suck, and Farcry 2, which is much more for the single player.

I'll be honest, I don't pay too much attention in my losses etc. The only stats I look at are my personal kill/death ratio and accuracy percentage which are what I can personally be in control of.

No point getting hung up on win percentage in a team game.

I'll be honest, I don't pay too much attention in my losses etc. The only stats I look at are my personal kill/death ratio and accuracy percentage which are what I can personally be in control of.

No point getting hung up on win percentage in a team game.

My point is that you shouldn't be put into a game near it's end and lose. I'm willing to wait longer to find a game than be given a loss for nothing.

First of all, if you have the choice of playing online shooters on PC or 360, I'd always pick PC. Just a personal preference, but the online multiplayer is better and easier, and the mouse is more precise for aiming.

The best multiplayer games are Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, and then Call of Duty: WaW is better than CoD4 because there's less grenade spam and for some other fixes.

First of all, if you have the choice of playing online shooters on PC or 360, I'd always pick PC. Just a personal preference, but the online multiplayer is better and easier, and the mouse is more precise for aiming.

The best multiplayer games are Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, and then Call of Duty: WaW is better than CoD4 because there's less grenade spam and for some other fixes.

This is no longer true. Developers have found ways to make aiming with current controllers just as good as any mouse and keyboard combo. The only time I find it to be lacking is trying to play as a sniper...but it is the same in PC games - I just lack patience.

Resistance is awesome online (imo), I've clocked hours upon hours on it. :) This is assuming you have a PS3 though, but yeah, I'd recomend it. The only problem is that, as usual with a lot of online games, you do get the occasional guy that get's a boner from having a 200 kill count in one game and has played this game for far too long, but it doesn't usually affect you.

This is no longer true. Developers have found ways to make aiming with current controllers just as good as any mouse and keyboard combo. The only time I find it to be lacking is trying to play as a sniper...but it is the same in PC games - I just lack patience.

I don't think that's true, is it? With a mouse you can basically aim at any point on the screen as fast as you can react. With a thumbstick you're effectively scrolling at a fixed speed and you train your brain to ease off when you're near your target. Even with analogue sticks the maximum speed isn't as fast as the speed of a mouse.

Edited by -A-

These developers were clearly not working on CoD: World at War then <_<

I know it's controversial BUT....

Over the years I've played a LOT of FPS online PC games (mostly the Delta Force series and Unreal Tournament) and have played some console FPS (mostly COD) and I must say that playing with the sticks is far better than mouse cos with sticks it's more as though you're hoising the gun around to shoot the enemy whereas with PC you're just pinging around the targetter all over the place as if you were shooting with a weightless straw.

Yeah the poor FPS console games feel sluggish but the best feel brilliant.

I can aim with more precision in Halo 2 on the XBOX then I can while playing Halo 2 on the PC. It is also the same with Call of Duty 2. I haven't played any of the newer CoD games on the PC, but I was big into playing CoD 2 on the internet with my PC. When I played the XBOX 360 version, I did not lose a step.

I know it's controversial BUT....

Over the years I've played a LOT of FPS online PC games (mostly the Delta Force series and Unreal Tournament) and have played some console FPS (mostly COD) and I must say that playing with the sticks is far better than mouse cos with sticks it's more as though you're hoising the gun around to shoot the enemy whereas with PC you're just pinging around the targetter all over the place as if you were shooting with a weightless straw.

Yeah the poor FPS console games feel sluggish but the best feel brilliant.

This.

And you can also claim that as easy as it is to point and click on a blokes head and pop it off. It's just as easy for them to do the same so I guess it depends, personally I like the console way but then I've just never had the feel for PC games as such so maybe I'm not the fairest person to give their opinions.

I agree with Hamster. Aiming is EASIER on a PC, but it's BETTER on a console. It feels more like aiming a gun, rather than pointing at something with a mouse.

Also, anyone who doesn't think Team Fortress 2 is the best multiplayer game ever made is totally wrong. Nothing is better than TF2.

Nothing.