Songs that some folk don't realise are covers

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Excellent shout for "Respect" back there.

Pretty much every X-Factor winner's song ever. Steve Brookstein was not the original performer of "Against All Odds". He just sang the definitive version. >_>

Wow, even I don't hate Phil Collins THAT much.

Hmm... Some if not most of these were more written for others than covered:

Jackson Browne - Take It Easy (The Eagles)

Warren Zevon - Hasten Down The Wind (Linda Ronstandt)

(
)

(Mundy)

Willie Nelson - Crazy (Patsy Cline)

Mick Hanley - Past The Point of Rescue (Hal Ketchum)

(UB40)

Randy Newman - Mama Told Me Not To Come

Randy Newman - You Can Leave Your Hat On

Randy Newman - I think Its Gonna Rain Today

Glen Campbell - Highwayman (

) Though it was written by Jimmy Webb (who wrote Galveston, Wichita Lineman, McArthur Park, and a lot, lot more really well known songs)

Also not sure how many know that Mack the Knife has its origins in Bertol Brecht's Threepenny Opera.

Edited by HoboObohHbob

I didn't realise the entire renegades album was covers, thought I'm Housin, Pistol Grip Pump and Street Fighting Man were theirs. Although I remember the day someone told me Maggie's Farm is dylan's. I couldnt actually believe such a thing.

Excellent shout for "Respect" back there.

Pretty much every X-Factor winner's song ever. Steve Brookstein was not the original performer of "Against All Odds". He just sang the definitive version. >_>

Wow, even I don't hate Phil Collins THAT much.

Hmm... Some if not most of these were more written for others than covered:

Jackson Browne - Take It Easy (The Eagles)

The Eagles sang this first then Browne covered it for his second album. Browne and Glenn Frey co-wrote the song, and Browne agreed to let Frey use it for the Eagles album. And yeah Browne also wrote a fair few Eagles songs alongside Frey and Henley including Doolin Dalton and James Dean.

For example, that song "Heartbeats" that Jose Gonzales sang while the coloured balls bounced around for the Sony Bravia advert...Remember?

Yeah, that one. It's a cover of the original by The Knife.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTnREBxOIk

Got any others?

It might be because it's so late and I can't concentrate, but those two sound like completely different songs.