Fifa 09 (Xbox 360) Tournament Take 2

Sam

Okay it seems the previous attempt to do this has failed a sad death so I propose we give it another a go in a different format.

Just to get a tournament completed I think we should have a two stage event - 1 group stage then knockout round. It will be a really short tournament mind as I think a limit of 8 players will mean we get one finished and can then build on it for the next one. So 2 groups, top 2 go through to semis, winner of group A vs runner up of group B etc. Home and Away fixtures in both the group and knockout stages with obviously a one off match for the final.

So who is game? Once 8 people sign up then I will create a fixture list and we can begin playing. When signing up include team you want and gamertag just in case people don't have it. Don't feel you have to be a shit team choose the team you play best with so we can get the best quality matchs.

Signed up

Sam - AC Milan - SamTivyWard09

Marsh - Chelsea - DTVincent

AD - Inter - dwsnuk

The General - Aston Villa - SpiderSambo

Slogger - Werder Bremen - Slogger9

Animal - Atletico Madrid - DutchAnimal

Rocksta - Real Madrid - Jmonteforte

Quasi Fernandez - Barcelona - Tzakjez

Group A

AC Milan

Aston Villa

Real Madrid

Werder Bremen

Group B

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Chelsea

Inter Milan

FIXTURES FOR WEEK 4!

Group A

Aston Villa (General) Vs AC Milan (Sam)

Werder Bremen (Slogger) Vs Real Madrid (Rocksta)

Group B

Inter (AD) Vs Chelsea (Marsh)

Atletico (Animal) Vs Barcelona (Quasi)

Edited by Sam

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then as we now have 8 people I have just drawn the groups off scraps of paper out of a mug and here they are:

Group A

AC Milan

Aston Villa

Real Madrid

Werder Bremen

Group B

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Chelsea

Inter Milan

So opening fixtures will be:

Werder Bremen Vs AC Milan

Aston Villa Vs Real Madrid

Chelsea Vs Inter

Barcelona Vs Atletico Madrid

Let's try and get all these fixtures done in say 3 or 4 days maximum? Just one person needs to write a match report for their game as well. Obvously will use a league system for group stages so 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw 0 for a loss. Obviously you have to continue playing Extra Time but that means nothing more than bragging rights at this stage!

Edited by Sam

I think we should just start it near the weekend so we can get it done quick once it starts.

Well if I say we all have to have them done by Monday is that enough time? If they're all played before then though I'll just put some more fixtures up.

Group B seems the hardest. Group A has two heavyweights and two "lightweights", although Villa is pretty frigging amazing in this game, especially if done right. Slogger has some balls picking Werder Bremen, good luck :) First match battle between the Dutchies :D
I have balls to pick Werder? I don't get it.

Wow tough group, I'm definitely the weakest team in the group altough that doesn't say much. Anyway I look forward to beating all of you, especially Quasi, you lesser of the Dutchmen in this tournament ! :P

It's not like Werder has a great team compared with the other teams competing. Diego is good but very fragile on the ball. It's not like you are playing with a shitty team, but once again compared to the other teams competing, Werder does not have same quality players.
I look forward to proving you wrong.

Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 1-1

Well a solid draw with neither teams clearly getting the advantage. Atletico got the lead in the first half after Forlan made a run on the right side, crossing the ball low to the free Aguero who could put it in the empty goal. The second half saw Barcelona putting on the pressure looking for the equaliser which came after Atletico goalie Coupet couldn't hold on to a a Messi shot. Messi was able to score from point blank range in the rebound.

Good match, shame I lost in extra time but luckily that doesn't count at this stage

Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 1-1

Well a solid draw with neither teams clearly getting the advantage. Atletico got the lead in the first half after Forlan made a run on the right side, crossing the ball low to the free Aguero who could put it in the empty goal. The second half saw Barcelona putting on the pressure looking for the equaliser which came after Atletico goalie Coupet couldn't hold on to a a Messi shot. Messi was able to score from point blank range in the rebound.

Good match, shame I lost in extra time but luckily that doesn't count at this stage

Really? Damn. Makes sense though, it's only group stage. Last time we played eachother (with two South Korean teams) it also ended in extra time. I guess we are too evenly matched.

At the start I had a bit of trouble dealing with Aguero and Forlan spreading to the side while Dani Alves positioned himself badly, he was way too forward minded. Nothing indicated that Atletico was going to score though, it went back and forth the whole half with both defences playing well. Suddenly I think it was Yaya Toure screwed up whilst on the ball, which opened up the right side for Forlan (I hate when that happens, the left back is just gone and the central defender for some reason decides to move away from the ball). Only thing I could do at that point was try to get in the way of the shot with Marquez but it was useless, 0-1. Second half I decided to change my formation to 4-4-2 and suddenly I was more dominant and more space opened for my strikers. Barca scored up close (can't remember who, you say Messi but I thought it was Iniesta) and it was even again. Barca had more possession of the ball second half but couldn't do much with it. Messi was a ghost, he was easily contained by Atletico's defenders. Eto'o had to do all the work and in extra time he crowned his performance with a goal to make it 2-1, but that doesn't matter. The two Argentinian wonderkids were both disappointing, which is unexpected.

Shame I missed this but I'm not sure what I'm like for time these days so I kinda steered a bit clear of it to a point, when you do a second one I will be interested but me being me I'd like to see a 4* cap. Or maybe just a tournament like that - even if it's just a side little straight knockout tournament with 8 of us? (We could make it so everyone plays the same amount of games - so by the end everyones played 3 games always playing a team who done the same as the last game. So like at the end the teams that have gone win-win will play each other, the two teams that went lose-lose will do it - hell, I may organise that one myself <_< and leave you to the main stuff Sam!)