Formula One 2009

Adam

Here's hoping Felipe has a speedy recovery

I had heard that it was a gash on his face and some swelling around his eye...so I think there's a lot of stories going around right now...but here's hoping that he'll make a full recovery.

Sheer interest...who is the Ferrari test driver? Is it still Luca Badoer?

He's one of two Ferrari test drivers, yes, the other being Marc Gené.

Fuck that looked brutal, I guess even attempting to brake wouldn't have been able to minimise the impact into those tires, the front half just bent like paper.

I hope he's OK, things aren't looking too good and that may well be the last time he steps into a F1 car (maybe a regular car for that matter) but as long as he survives I don't think he'd care how bad the injuries are.

I wonder if they'll postpone tomorrows race out of respect if the worst happens, I can't see them actually carrying out the race if someone had died on that course.

He seems to be going downhill fast - I wonder if the skull fracture might have caused some pressure to build up around the brain? Kind of like the whole Natasha Richardson accident?

As well as the Skull Fracture, he also had a brain concussion. I'm not doctor, but that could maybe lead to something like that, or similar.

The worrying thing for everyone is the fact things have changed. It's gone from 'he will be ok, but he will recover overnight' to 'he is in a life threatening condition and he will be assessed over the next few hours'. That is always the sign that something is not right.

So what actually happened during qualifying today -- was going to watch it, then y'know, I was lured to my PS3.

Massa got struck by a spring from the back of Barichello's car, it came back and struck him on the side of the helmet, he was knocked out and ran straight into the wall of tyres. At first everyone thought it was brake failure.

So what actually happened during qualifying today -- was going to watch it, then y'know, I was lured to my PS3.

Massa got struck by a spring from the back of Barichello's car, it came back and struck him on the side of the helmet, he was knocked out and ran straight into the wall of tyres. At first everyone thought it was brake failure.

ANOTHER accident in the world of Formula Racing? Damn man, I don't want Fillipe to go :shifty:

In terms of the actual result, Alonso took pole but is about...eight laps lighter than everyone else, so presumably he's just gonna hope he gets a good start. Vettel, Webber and Lewis are behind him, with Vettel and Webber both on pretty much the same strategy and they're likely to be the ones racing for the win, unless the KERS helps Hamilton or Alonso's gamble really pays off.

Also, it would appear Ferrari can't field the test driver in Massa's position, although I doubt they ever thought of doing so. That would presumably mean that 10th spot would just be empty, so Nakajima will be on his own on Row 5.

He'll probably have to 3 stop seeing as he's 5 laps lighter than Hamilton alone :/ don't really know how that strategy will benefit him, guess we shall have to wait and see. If he gets beaten into the first corner though then he'll have fucked up.

Get in Hamilton, awesome win right there. Really hoping he can get a few more results like that now his car has been sorted. That made my day and it just got even more awesome seeing Button so far down the board. Shame it's a little too late for Hamilton to challenge for the championship, but with the work that's been done, he can certainly finish in a decent position now :)

Excellent race from Hamilton was lovely to see, Vettel dropping out has done the world of good for Button but Webber has closed the gap, this four week break HAS to be used effectively by Brawn if they are to get anywhere with this championship orelse with two races to go we could be seeing a Red Bull one two...

Not sure whats gonna happen with Felipe, at least it sounds like he should recover, but if he isn't going to be fit enough to race in four weeks who is going to replace him

The other interesting driver at the minute is Nelsiniho and whether he will be driving for renault in four weeks? Thoughts people?

Managed to find a screencap of the debris that caused Massa's accident:

2n6xnw6.jpg

For what it's worth, Niki Lauda suggested drafting Michael Schumacher back to the Ferrari driver's seat. My inner Schumi fanboy would like to see that happen, but I'll be very surprised if he even manages to score a podium, let alone win a race.

Was able to watch the GP on tape delay. Glad to see Hamilton get the win, even if it is probably too late for him to defend the title.

I want Nelson Piquet Jr. to stay but it seems unlikely, there's been too much pressure put on him by Renault, only this weekend has he had the same car as Alonso and he finished 12th whilst Alonso didn't finish. Where Alonso would have finished is hard to say but I doubt he would have ended in the points :/

Great drive by Hamilton though and it's good to see both Mclarens back up there :) should make for a more exciting championship with Brawn seemingly in decline and Red Bull having to contend with a strong Mclaren for the first time. Really may be the difference maker that gives Button the title. Hopefully we're in for an exciting end to the season. Although nothing will top last seasons end!