Formula One 2009

Adam

He can win every race between now and the end of the season, I won't be eating my words. I've always hated him and I always will, and I wouldn't call him the greatest driver of all time. He's definitely up there for sure, and he is undoubtedly the most successful F1 driver of all time, but the best? You have to remember five of his world titles came whilst he drove for a Ferrari team that was streets ahead of the competition, except for McLaren and for one or two seasons Williams.

If that's the argument, it's the fault of the other teams for not being able to actually provide competition to Ferrari.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Besides, he helped develop that Ferrari team from nothing, so it makes it all the more impressive.

Furthermore, personally i wouldnt call him the greatest F1 driver ever, IMO that honour goes to the late Ayrton Senna. However, its a very winable argument to say that Schumacher is the greatest.

So, BMW withdrawing; where do you think Kubica will end up? Personally I think McLaren is a realistic bet.

Not in F1... :shifty:

I really see nowhere for him to go and fit in to the team easily, Mclaren makes no sense because he will always have to play second fiddle to a certain Lewis Hamilton. Also his much publicised issues with being tall and unwieldy when it comes to fitting the guy in to the car, especially with the issue of heay cars next year due to the banning on re-fueling during races could make it difficult for him to find a drive. Especially when there are a lot of talented young drivers about. I see no reason why McLaren would drop Heikki either, unless he returns to Renault if Alonso moves on.

It's a fair point, really, as much as I think he should be allowed a test (and I'm as Anti-Ferrarri as they get). Although there was nothing to stop Torro Rosso from at least requesting the same for Alguasuari.

Red Bull & Toro Rosso (so essentially just Red Bull) have joined Williams in refusing the Ferrari request, and rightly so. I totally agree with them, you can't have one rule for a driver and another rule for somebody else, whether it's Michael Schumacher or not. The FIA clearly implemented a ban on in-season testing for a reason (I actually disagree with the rule, but they must've had their reasons) and therefore he should not be allowed to drive the car before the teams roll in to Valencia.

Who will be taking the Renault seat for Spa then? Romain Grosjean was apparently being lined up earlier this year, I suppose it'll still be him who comes in? I hope he does a lot better, as Renault are a great team and should have two drivers who regularly score points.

Williams are already in the shit for signing up for the 2010 season against FOTA's wishes, so I'm glad more teams objected to this, more politics in the pitlane would suck. As much as I love Michael Schumacher, Alguasuari and the new Renault driver need the one day test more than a seven time champion.

Ferrari fume at rivals' test snub

Ferrari have hit back at the teams who blocked Michael Schumacher from testing this season's car before his F1 return.

He is set to replace the injured Felipe Massa, but Formula 1 rules prevent on-circuit testing during the season.

In an apparent swipe at Williams, who opposed the move, a Ferrari statement read: "Guess who opposed the test?

"A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play."

Williams, who have not won the world championship since 1997, were backed up by Red Bull and Toro Rosso, who are also opposed to Schumacher getting behind the wheel of Massa's F60 car.

All three teams argue that seven-time world champion Schumacher, 40, should be treated no differently to Spanish teenager Jaime Alguersuari, who replaced the sacked Sebastien Bourdais at Toro Rosso last month but was unable to track test his car before his F1 debut in Hungary.

"Just for the record, the Scuderia Ferrari had given its approval to let Alguersuari test, but it seems even in this instance someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations," added Ferrari's statement.

Massa fractured his skull during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix after he was struck on the helmet by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car.

Schumacher is due to replace the Brazilian at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 23 August, but has only had a chance to drive Ferrari's 2007 car, at the team's Mugello test track last Friday.

McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber and Brawn GP were all prepared to let Schumacher spend one day behind the wheel of the F60.

Sniping bastards, what's Williams' recent success (or lack thereof) got to do with anything? Looks like the return of Schumacher is gonna herald the return of Ferrari being dislikable twats. I thought such a prestigious outfit would be a bit more professional tbh.

AWESOME to hear Schumacher is back. I've never been his biggest fan, but I've personally always seen him as the greatest F1 driver of all time. Seriously, I cant wait to see him going up against Hamilton, that's going to be pretty damn awesome hopefully. Certainly got my interest up again.

Good. Sense prevails, and I hope Luca Badoer does well in Valencia to shut up the team that overlooked him at first and also the fans who think a retired former champ was better suited to taking the drive over him, the actual reserve driver for the team.

Renault and Fernando Alonso have been cleared to compete in the European Grand Prix in Valencia after winning an appeal against a one-race ban.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8169649.stm

It was obvious that they were going to get the go-ahead. It was a complete over-reaction given the events that had happened that weekend and the week before with Surtees. Turns out that McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Toyota all wrote in to the FIA to help Renault as well, which is a nice show (I imagine Ferrari writing in was fairly crucial, given Massa's situation).

In other news, it turns out that BMW actually did apply for 2010 on Monday...which is rather random. They still could pull out, though, which is just...bizzare.

Soo...Valencia. Time for the world's most boring GP to get a second go-around. Still, it might be slightly more interesting this year, because apparently Rubens is fuelled heavier than the two McLarens and therefore is about 0.2 seconds quicker than them on raw pace, so he might actually be able to challenge them. Although really, I'm hoping for a Heikki victory deep down, because the guy deserves a win after a lot of unfair stick that he's been getting so far this year.

Also, Luca Badoer LOL. Brundle made a good point yesterday when he said that you should just put Piquet in the car, because he's at least going to be slightly competitive, and he knows the new car specs and stuff.

What a wonderful result, delighted for Rubens, he fully deserves the win today, Brawn got it right even though Hamilton's pit crew were majorly at fault. Jenson has gained slightly on the Red Bull cars too, so all in all a perfect weekend, in the end, for Brawn GP.

Reportedly, Rubens was six seconds quicker during the laps before his second stop, and Lewis was stuck about 4-5 seconds longer than he should - so Barrichello would still have come out ahead. Just a case of whether Lewis could have passed him on the track or not.

Also, Valencia still sucks and should go away. Worse still, they've signed a contract for next year. Although the hilarity of Badoer driving over the white line, giving himself a penalty, in order to let Grosjean past was a high point. The chances of him being in that car next week have to be soooo slim...but then again, who can they call up in that period of time, other than Bourdais/Piquet, since they're the only two who have driven this spec of car.

Jenson's got a good shot at the title now though; Rubens, Webber and Vettel keep on trading positions and can't take "big" points away from him, and Lewis and Kimi keep on snatching podium spots which isn't helping either.

Reportedly, Rubens was six seconds quicker during the laps before his second stop, and Lewis was stuck about 4-5 seconds longer than he should - so Barrichello would still have come out ahead. Just a case of whether Lewis could have passed him on the track or not.

Also, Valencia still sucks and should go away. Worse still, they've signed a contract for next year. Although the hilarity of Badoer driving over the white line, giving himself a penalty, in order to let Grosjean past was a high point. The chances of him being in that car next week have to be soooo slim...but then again, who can they call up in that period of time, other than Bourdais/Piquet, since they're the only two who have driven this spec of car.

Jenson's got a good shot at the title now though; Rubens, Webber and Vettel keep on trading positions and can't take "big" points away from him, and Lewis and Kimi keep on snatching podium spots which isn't helping either.

Hamilton lost about five (nearing on six) seconds in the pits, which if he hadn't of done, he'd of ended up ahead of Rubens it seems. I'd say there's barely any doubt without that fuck up that it'd of been Hamilton first and Rubens second. Wouldn't of made tonnes of difference though. Personally I'd be happy with ANYBODY winning the title other than Button, so as long as he continues to do average, I'll be happy.