Formula One 2009

Adam

What a crap double-whammy of news that is. Didn't want Todt elected, but I suppose he deserves a chance to show that he isn't just gonna continue the same-old shitty regime of Mosley. Really hope he can, as he's not a stupid man and knows a heck of a lot about the ins and outs of Formula 1.

If Button goes to McLaren I'll be gutted, he needs to stay with Brawn. I don't think I could stomach seeing Button as teammates with Hamilton.

I wouldn't mind Jenson at McLaren; though I'd rather he stayed with Brawn for at least one more year. If he was to move though, McLaren is the only team I'd be happy to see him drive at besides Brawn for 2010.

So that's it then...the season is over! I thought today's race was a very dull way to end the season, the only interest was Button hunting down Webber at the end. But, it has been a great season, the best in years IMO. Well done to Kobayashi today too, his strategy worked great and he deserves a seat next year, hope he gets it as he seems promising. Can't think of much else noteworthy today, apart from James Corden taking the piss out of Boris Becker, it was hilarious when Corden came into the shot and DC had to basically tell Becker who the random fat guy who'd just burst in was, he had no idea :lol:

This is the first race that I've watched really the whole way through since about 2004, and I've really enjoyed it. I only missed one race, the one that Mark Webber got his first victory in. I forgot about it and slept through it as I'd stayed up the night before watching UFC 100, was gutted too as I'm a big fan of Webber. Anyway, this season has been exciting, despite the fact Brawn really dominated from the off.

So happy for them, it's a great story for the whole team, they deserve it. Delighted for Button to finally come good, he's always shown great promise. Other high points have to include Webber finally getting to the top step on the podium, Force India actually winning points, and Button recovering from poor qualiying and making all those overtaking moves in Brazil.

I've gotta say Lewis Hamilton has risen in my estimation too this year. He seems to be maturing, and his driving is improving every race. The way he managed to grind out results in that 'dog of a car' (thanks EJ) in the first half of the season was impressive, although his deceit in Australia was not. I'm glad that in the end the whole 'breakaway' threat was stopped, but I'm not too keen on next year's regulation changes. ill be interesting to see how the no refuelling affects everyone, and there's just too many teams now IMO. I sincerely hope Bernie abandons that daft medal points system too, it'll ruin the championship for me. Still, I'm already excited to see how next year will pan out. Will Brawn be able to sustain their success? How will Alonso do at Ferrari? There are so many more intriguing questions already...

And one last note-I loved the BBC's coverage this year. Jake, DC and EJ are entertaining and work well together, much better than ITV's efforts for me. The video packages and just general presentation is better too, top notch.

So season over and now roll onto probably the most fun part f the entire F1 circus, who's going where?

Officially we only have seven contracts confirmed (Hamilton, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Kubica and Senna) and potentially 21 further seats up for grabs.

McLaren and Brawn seem to be inseparably linked when it comes to drivers with Button, Raikkonen and Rosberg seemingly favourites for the three seats, though in what configuration is till anyone's guess. Raikkonen has a straight choice between McLaren, Brawn and Toyota that will probably keep running as a story until Toyota's budget (and participation) is confirmed later this moth by their parent company, even though they are the outside bet as Kimi has said he wants a competitive car. Of course he might still sit out the season but this would be unlikely. Button will probably re-sign with Brawn in most people's opinion but won't be confirmed until their title sponsors are announced, however now would be the perfect time for him to leave as well as Brawn will struggle to be as good next year so the chance to move to a definite front runner would be tempting (might never come again for him). Common thinking has Rosberg definitely with Mercedes and fitting in whichever of the two teams has the spare seat, either will be a great move for all involved. Heidfield to McLaren is a recent rumour if Raikkonen decides to sit out and they still want rid of Heikki.

Williams are expected to confirm Barrichello and Nico Hulkenburg as their team this week, this is an ideal team for them as Barrichello brings the experience and testing work that they missed this year (I think anyway) and Nico looks a very good prospect. Nakajima is apparently off to NASCAR.

Renault have one seat to fill and it looks odds against Grosjaen remaining to fill it. About half the grid have been linked with them so far with Kovelainen being an early favourite, however the problem there is that he definitely wont sign until the McLaren second seat has officially gone. The smart money is going on Timo Glock who has proved himself plenty capable in the races where Toyota had a competitive set-up this year. Other potentials are Luca Di Grassi (though Grosjaen's failure might go against him as they are seen to be of similar quality in the team), Adrian Sutil (unlikely as he wants to stay with a Mercedes car for a looking at one of their top teams later) and Nick Heidfeld (who might wait as long as possible to see if Sauber make it or the MM drive comes about).

Toyota might not be around at all but most expect them to return with the commitment from the parent company directly linked with getting Kimi. If they convince him to sign it will be a full program, if not them likely a much reduced one. Trulli has apparently been offered a deal in principle and if I were him I would sign it as soon as possible just in case. Koboyashi looks to have convinced the team he is worth a second driver spot. Other possibles are Kovelainnen and Heidfeld.

Force India and Torro Rosso have yet to confirm their line-ups but barring any bigger teams looking to bring in Sutil or even less likely Buemi they would both like to return with their current partnerships. The one spanner in that works could be a possible Fissichella appearance at STR in a deal that would see Ferrari supply both Red Bull teams with engines for 2010, but that's an outside bet at best even if they get the engines.

Ferrari and Red Bull are of course both fully confirmed, some rumours of Raikkonen going to Red Bull have done the rounds but the likelihood of that is tiny.

Sauber/BMW/Qadbak are of course not even on the grid yet, though to allow a current F1 team with their history to go out of business just to bring in a bunch of Malaysian upstarts who are willing to piss over a marquee name is criminal if you ask me. I think they will be there, whether it's through failure of another team or a 28-car grid, I don't think the other teams will allow them to be left out. If it's sorted soon then Heidfeld will re-sign with them out of loyalty most likely. For them just being there will be enough next season and any two competent drivers will do, though some names to throw in the hat include Christien Klien, Alex Wurz and Fissichella (again a loan from Ferrari/possible engine deal).

Of the new teams only Campos look 100% like getting to the grid and as such have been the first to announce a driver in Bruno Senna, the announcement has been timed well to get them maximum publicity in Abu Dhabi, at previous GPs it would have been buried by the championship chase. A good talent who will be looking to impress and use it as a stepping stone most likely. He will probably be partnered by Pedro de la Rosa, whether that's as a permanent signing or on Loan from McLaren is probably the only stumbling block, if it's a loan then you have to wonder just who will test the Campos in the winter?

Litespeed (Fake Lotus) are the next most viable as they have the cash behind them and are being linked with some experienced names like Heidfield, Kovelainnen and Trulli and by my reckoning at least one of those drivers will have to drop down to a new team or miss out altogether. The second seat will probably go to Fairuz Fauzy, this generations Alex Yoong although he at least has looked a solid driver.

Manor GP have been the quietest of the four newcomers so far and most rumours have them going down the route of F1 newcomers/Brits. Anthoney Davidson, Paul De Resta and Adam Carroll have all been linked quietly. Davidson would be ideal as he is an experienced test pilot and could give them a head start over the other newcomers while De Resta would possibly point to a link with McLaren. Getting one of the experienced names targeted by Litespeed is possible but the other name out there is Vitaly Petrov who could come with as much as £15m in sponsorship and is not a bad driver, he was linked with Campos early on as he drives for them in GP2.

Finally USGPE look the most likely to not make it, however latest inspections were positive apparently. Linked with dozens of US/US based drivers over the summer but most of them totally unrealistic for a team at this stage. There is no way that Kyle Busch, Danica Patrick or Marco Andretti will be turning out for them until they can at least prove themselves as midfielders. Graham Rahal, despite finishing ahead of Marco this year in IRL is a genuine target in most people's eyes though Charlie Kimball, J. R. Hildebrand and Jonathan Summerton (who all compete in Indy Lights and have done A1GP stints) look more likely.

Outside those mentioned so far you also have the likes of Georgio Pantano, Tomas Soucek and Takuma Sato who have all been linked at one time or another.

As you can probably tell I find it fascinating.

Yeah it's gonna be interesting. Barrichello & Hulkenburg have been confirmed for next season at Williams now, so that's three teams fully set for 2010-Ferrari, Red Bull + Williams. Martin Brundle seemed confident that Timo Glock will be joining Kubica at Renault over the weekend, so we'll have to see there. I'd like them to stick with Grosjean for at least half a season more, none of the newcomers really did much when they came in halfway through the season.

I fully expect Force India to stick with Sutil + Liuzzi, ditto Toro Rosso with Buemi + Alguersuari. I really cannot see Button leaving Brawn, they're 99% certain he will stay. The next week I expect will see him re-signing, with Rosberg joining him. I'd like to see Raikkonen at Toyota, cos they really wanna start being competitive for wins and a line-up of Trulli + Kobayashi (which atm seems likely) isn't exactly screaming 'world title contenders'. McLaren have Hamilton, and probably Raikkonen if he's staying in the sport at all. They might stick with Kovalainen, but it seems more likely he'll be replaced, and Kimi is first choice, followed by Heidfeld. I don't think they're genuinely expecting to be able to get Button. I've really no idea what the former BMW team is doing, it seems likely that they'll get on the grid for next year, but what drivers they go with I've no idea. I hope the team is back as Sauber F1, they were always one of my favourites. They're using Ferrari engines so could get Fisichella back on a loan from the prancing horse, would be a damn experienced team if they got him and Heidfeld back together.

New teams...I can see Team Lotus being strong with Gascoyne involved, depends who they get to drive for them. Maybe Kovalainen is a good shout. Manor, if they're backed by Virgin and go with British drivers they'll be one of my favourites, especially as they're based quite locally to me. I really hope Davidson gets back on the grid, always liked him, and Manor seems his most likely destination. Maybe they'll plump for Gary Paffett, he's after a race seat and has been testing for McLaren for a couple of years now.

Campos have Senna so I think they need someone with experience alongside him...I'm unsure on de la Rosa, he's pretty old, ut then there might not be many others available. USF1 I've no idea, I'll predict them going for Jonathan Summerton or someone like that...they shouldn't go for two americans, get a young rookie in and then get an experienced head from overseas. Guys like Glock, Kovalainen and Trulli, someone along those lines if available.

De la rosa for Campos alongside Senna is ideal for me. Yes he's old but he has been testing for McLaren for ages, if anyone can help them get their car ready and be head of the newcomers on race 1 then it's him. Depends on whether McLaren want to retain him for testign though, if they do then Campos need someone else.

Like I said I'm also feeling Sauber with Heidfeld and Fissichella if they can get it sorted out in the next month, if not then Heidfeld will end up somewhere else.

Aaaaand Toyota have pulled out of F1 after posting their worst ever losses. Which would open the way for Sauber/Qadbank/whatever they'll call themselves to come in and take their spot, which is a lot of yayzers. Although somebody better hire Kobayashi or there will be some ass-kicking to be doled out...

Not really surprised. Their budget was too high considering they were the only team on the field, apart from Force India, never to pick up a Formula 1 victory. On the plus side, Sauber should come back, and Kobayashi will get a seat somewhere (surely).

I just hope they're the last withdrawal heading into 2010. I want to see a 26 car field for the sheer clusterfuck it'll produce.

Well that sucks, I like Toyota, but they never really kicked on and this allows the Sauber team in without further inflating the grid. I still think 26 teams is a bit too much, but ah well. I really hope Kobayashi get's a race seat, but it remains to be seen where...

That's Raikkonen going to McLaren then, and Button staying put. Maybe Heidfeld will stay at Sauber now too. Last time a Japanese team pulled out of the sport the ashes of the team went on to win the title, something similar may happen here, you never know.

Edited by AdamDRFC

Well, if Renault pull out then that is really gonna suck. Especially for Robert Kubica and Timo Glock, I mean Glock can't catch a break today, both his current employers and his potential new employers could be leaving the sport! Maybe the staff of Toyota and Renault will merge together or something and form a new team. Whatever happens, let's hope this is the last of the exits from Formula 1.

Renault will make their decision before the end of the season they've said. I really hope they don't leave; not because I like Renault, because I don't, but they've got a history in the sport. That, and I like Kubica, and Glock (if he signs - I don't actually think he will now). But we'll see.

I'm just waiting for Jenson to re-sign. I'm shitting myself thinking it won't happen. :/

Edited by KoA

Anyone remember Antonio Pizzonia? Looks like he's in talks for a seat at Manor next season. I always had a strange liking for him even though he didn't do too mcuh apart from come 7th a few times at Williams, but I'd love it if he joined what is essentially my local team for next year. This article below is translated from Portugese, which is why it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

Antonio Pizzonia, outside of Formula 1 since 2005, is negotiating his return to the category in the 2010 season. The Amazon deals mainly with the Manor, one of three new teams that will premiere next year, with whom relations have almost ten years. He won the British Formula 3 in 2000 and was the team in Monza to watch the Italian Grand Prix.

- First I'm rooting for Rubens and I'm sounding things here and maybe the doors open again. I had several fantastic experiences with the Manor, was champion of Formula 3, but I'm talking to others - said Pizzonia, told a reporter Mariana Becker, da Rede Globo.

Pizzonia, this season, runs in the Stock Car Amir Nasr Racing team and represents the Corinthians in Superleague Formula, in which football clubs have cars on the track.

I presume it's supposed to look something like this:

Antonio Pizzonia, out of Formula 1 since 2005, is negotiating his return to the sport in the 2010 season. 'The Amazon' as he is known, is negotiating mainly with the Manor team, one of three new teams debuting next year, with whom relations with the team go back ten years. He won the British F3 championship in 2000 and was with the team to watch the Italian Grand Prix.

"First I'm rooting for Rubens and I'm sounding/liking things here and maybe doors will open again. I had several fantastic experiences with the Manor team, was champion of F3, but I'm also talking to others" said Pizzonia, told reporter Mariana Becker.

Pizzonia has this season been running in the Stock Car Amir Nasr Racing Team and represents Corinthians in the Superleague Formula, in which football clubs have cars on the track.

Very, very interesting. So, what do we have with these new teams? Bold means confirmed:

MANOR:

Pizzonia/Glock/Kovalainen

LOTUS:

Trulli/Heidfeld/Glock/Kobayashi/Villenueve

CAMPOS:

SENNA

Glock/Kovalainen

Button considers move to McLaren

Jenson Button has visited the McLaren headquarters in Woking as doubts continue over who the world champion will be driving for next season.

Button and manager Richard Goddard were given a tour by McLaren chief Martin Whitmarsh, the Guardian reported.

Button, 29, took a pay cut to drive for the new Brawn team after Honda quit F1 last year, but he is now stalling over an improved offer.

If Button joined McLaren, he would partner 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton.

Only last month Ross Brawn said he was "99%" certain Button would remain with his team, but wages and the competitiveness of the car are believed to be sticking points over a new deal.

Having taken a pay cut from £10m to £3m, the world champion is said to be looking for a pay rise more substantial than the one Brawn are offering.

McLaren, one of the better-funded teams on the grid, would certainly be in a position to afford a bigger salary, and a car that regularly outperformed Brawn's during the latter part of the 2009 season.

Goddard was unavailable for comment on Friday evening but had earlier told the Guardian: "As I've said many times before, Jenson wants to drive a car which is capable of winning the next world championship.

"We've been talking about possible terms for 2010 with Brawn for months and we're not being difficult or unreasonably expensive in our demands for Jenson. In fact we've given up quite a lot of negotiating ground in our discussions with them."

Kimi Raikkonen was another driver to visit the McLaren factory this week with the 2007 world champion's future still to be decided following his forced exit from Ferrari to make way for Fernando Alonso.

BBC Sport

I would be gutted if Button left for McLaren, it's the only team I won't support him at...he'd play second fiddle to Hamilton as well no doubt. Really don't want this to happen.

Well, all I can say is that if he does leave Brawn, from my viewpoint as a fan of his (he's my favourite driver and has been for years), then I'm glad it's McLaren, because he'll be competitive. But from a team-standing viewpoint, then I really, REALLY don't want him to play second fiddle to Lewis. If he does go, the number one on his car will mean nothing, as he'll always be second in the team.

Looks like Jenson will be off to McLaren very soon:

Mercedes take ownership of Brawn

German car giant Mercedes has bought the Brawn Formula 1 team in a move that is likely to see Jenson Button join McLaren as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate.

Mercedes will buy a controlling interest in Brawn, believed to be 75%, but will continue has McLaren's engine partner until at least 2015.

BBC Sport understands Brawn will be rebranded as an official Mercedes, all-German F1 team.

Nico Rosberg will be their lead driver, with Nick Heidfeld his likely partner.

More to follow.

That leaves Kimi out in the cold doesn't it? He really set himself up for a fall when he said McLaren or no-one. He's either out of F1 unless he lowers his wage demands to less than Button will sign for.

Really hoping Kobayashi gets a drive, I enjoyed watching him the last couple of races. He reminds me of Montoya when he arrived.

Edited by CraigOrion