iPod Touch/Phone Games...

Katsuya

It seems odd that there's no thread for these, because there are some rather good ones (cue someone pointing out a thread from like, a month ago). Right now, I'm playing Glyder, which is kind of a Spyro-ish game in terms of flying round and collecting crystals, but not the enemies. Good graphics though, and it's actually very in depth once you get used to it. Lots of achievements that keep you playing, too. It's fairly new and so far it's only at £1.19 in the UK App Store, so probably not much more around the world.

There's a few other good games out - the TapTap games are always good, even if they generally don't have overly well-known bands/songs (albeit TapTap Coldplay was released earlier this week). Flight Control's very cheap and very addictive too...so, yeah. Anybody else playing?

• Admin

I have Texas Hold'em, Sol Free, Minesweeper Free, Virtual Villagers 2, Crosswords, 3D Chess, Brain Challenge and iSniper. Not too bad to keep me occupied on the journeys into work

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

• Admin
What's Virtual Villagers like? I keep on seeing reviews saying it doesn't work...

Seems OK to me, the other half plays it more to be fair - I keep forgetting to go back and check on the little fuckers and they generally all die.

Are there any good racing games out yet?

Errr...depends on what kind of racing you want. Crash Nitro Kart is alright, I suppose. Aqua Moto is a jetski racing game that's actually a lot of fun - it's probably the game I've played the most overall. You can tune it up and there's a pretty in depth career mode with an intelligent-ish AI (more so the further you advance). The only other one I'm aware of that's meant to be alright is 2XL Supercross, which was released yesterday and is meant to graphically stunning. But it's expensive and there's no career mode.

Oh, and Fieldrunners > all. It's such a fun and awesome game. That and getting my laptop to start running Warlords Battlecry have made this a good week.

LightBike is pretty fun, and I got it for 59p. Space Deadbeef is a good shooter and free if I remember right. I'm also enjoying BrickBreak Revolution (essentially a more awesome Breakout) and you have to have JellyCar if you have an iPhone. Rainbow Ninja is good too for short bursts.

Tap Tap Revenge: NIN Edition is out there. I also heard about a TNA game?

Yeah, TNA's game is kind of a wrestling RPG. Matches are done by selecting moves, and with some counters you have to do actions using the touch screen in order to get out of the move. It seems to have been getting rather good reviews...in comparison with Legends of Wrestlemania, which is meant to be unresponsive and hideously overpriced.

Trace is a fun game, it does exactly what it says on the tin and is a great little puzzler.

Tiltsnake does what it says on the tin, it's snake, with the option to use either finger strokes or a D-Pad.

Space Deadbeef is a good little time waster, a bit repetitive, but if you just play to waste a few minutes it's always fun.

Rainbow Ninja is a simplistic game based on the old "pick the word, not the colour/vice versa" concept, you can accidentally lose a good half hour playing it if you get good.

PapiJump is another simple one that's based purely on tilting your iPhone.

There's a mines app for Minesweeper if that's your thing.

JellyCar is a personal favourite, I spent hours completing it and probably even more time trying to improve my records.

There's a Paper Football app that's fun for a while, gets old fast though, so play it sparingly.

Falling Balls is another tilt app, great fun, especially when you lose oddly enough.

Duckshoot is a basic gun app and recently got updated to include point and shoot instead of a slightly less endearing tilt shooting mechanism.

iCopter is a game you've seen a million of, push the screen the copter goes up, let go and it drops, just don't crash.

TapTapRevenge is hellafun, it's just Dance Dance Revolution/Guitar Hero with a touch screen, you get new downloadable songs every other day or so, great little game.

TapDefence is a good game, I believe Keith posted a similar game a while back that was a flash app, the one with the monkeys that stopped the balls going through the maze?

A lot of the "Lite" apps are fun, but the problem is you end up wanting the full game, but they're not expensive, so I'm not sure how much you'd like to play.

Whilst I'm here, I also suggest the Remote app and Wikipanion app, besides Twitterfon, they're my most abused apps inside the house and outside respectively. I'd suggest more, but trust me, you'll have enough fun with the amount I've already suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a free Blackjack game and a word game called Scramble I just discovered, both basic and fun.

I paid for the MGS and Monopoly apps, the MGS one is fun, but probably not worth the money if you're hoping for an expansive game, it's basic point and shoot, no espionage at all. Monopoly however is absolute badass, I love it, worth every penny, I've always loved Monopoly so it's nice to have a game you can blast an hour or so on :)

For anyone that's interested, Championship Manager is coming out within the next couple of weeks, and the previews have been giving it a lot of praise. Especially over "Soccer Manager" which is buggy and has awful AI, apparently.

Really? Team specific or a general game? That is potentially awesome.