Monkey Island to be remade AND a new game on its way.

The rumors of a remake of the original Monkey Island for Xbox Live Arcade are true, but it gets much better, as LucasArts and Telltale team up to deliver all-new episodic Monkey Island adventures.

Starting this July, Telltale will be releasing Tales of Monkey Island, a five-episode monthly adventure game series for the PC and WiiWare featuring the further adventures of Guybrush Threepwood and nemesis, LeChuck, as Guy accidentally releases a voodoo pox that threatens to turn the swashbuckling men of the Caribbean into pirate monsters, which is the only thing worse than just plain pirates.

Meanwhile, LucasArts is internally developing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, which is a completely update version of the 1990 original, complete with new graphics, a remastered musical score, and full voice-overs. FULL VOICE-OVERS.

This could either be very good news, or very sad news, depending on how they handle it. The Secret of Monkey Island is due out this summer on Xbox Live Arcade and the PC.

http://kotaku.com/5273950/new-and-old-monk...es-in-the-works

:w00t:

Read this earlier, there's a great video up on Gamespot of someone from LucasArts going through SOMI: Special Edition. You can switch between original and HD-redone graphics at the touch of a button. It literally morphs between them on the spot. By the sounds of things you can have subtitles on the new graphics if you want, although there are voiceovers too. Not to shit on them, because they sound very well done, but I'd rather have HD graphics with no voices and subtitles. Hopefully that'll be possible.

I cannot fucking wait though, it's gonna be amazing. Everyone buy it so they remake number 2 as well. Although why no new episodic Monkey Island for XBLA?

*head explodes*

Seriously.

Same here. This was so far away from my mind when I heard rumors of a resurrection of an old LucasArts series. Amazingly, I'm so happy that I don't care that it's not a new X-wing/TIE Fighter game. Quite possibly, it's even better.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was the first PC game I ever bought.

And X-Wing Alliance was the first game I got for my new higher-spec (lol) PC, when I got my first PC of my very own.

I miss that series.

There's a 7 minute video about it's development. You can find an annoyingly small version on the official website...or a better one through some game site somewhere, probably (or you can get the link through Facebook like I did).

Swish.

Edited by stokeriño

If this in 3D, whoever's responsible is getting one hell of an insulting.

YES. Here's to learning from the mistakes of Escape From Monkey Island! Hurrah!

Now it just needs to hurry up and be the 5th of June so I can rename myself The Skumm Bar :@

Also;

mishoes.jpg

Edited by Skumm O)))

Two games got me hooked back onto computers in the early 1990s and sent me down the path that my life has followed ever since. One of those was the ever brilliant Championship Manager, the other was Money Island.

I will offer ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING to the game makers if they promise to make this a 2D game.

If you mean the new 'episodic' game, then it doesn't look 2D from the pictures of Guybrush/Elaine that I've seen. I suppose it's whether it'll be controlled in a 3D walk-about kind of way, or point-n-click that'll be the real difference.

The remake of the original is just the old game with updated sprites, so is still 2D, eys.

Edited by stokeriño

• 1 month later...

This is now available to buy on XBL, in case anyone missed it.

I got Stokerina playing the game (she's never done so before), but after 50 minutes or so she was like "waah I'm too impatient for this game - can't I just watch you play it?"

No you can't, you silly woman. I know the game off by heart! There would be no point! :angry:

Got this the day it came out and it's just brilliant nostalgia fun. Don't quite remember a few of the things to do (and let's be honest, some of them are like "how the fuck would I know to do that?!" anyway) but that's where the handy hint system comes in.

Playing through it all in old-school graphics naturally. Then I might play through it again with the new graphics and voices.

It's also on Steam now for £6.99 if anyone would prefer a mouse over the 360 pad.

It wasn't my head. It was my monkey's.

It's okay. He has two left.

:wub:

Mmmm I love the first two so so so much. Played the first on my Amiga and had to keep swapping between 6 discs. I believe Monkey2 had about 12 discs. Oh well. Fortunately I got to play most of it through with a friend on his "oh so powerful" PC (a 286 or something).

I don't think I've come across many other games that have captured my attention and imagination more than those two.

People fall down at my feet when they see me coming!