Football Manager 2010

METALMAN

Alright so I just got the game but I know very little about football. I've started a game as Tottenham, I seem to be doing alright. I'm sitting in 5th with a 12-6-6 record and in the League Cup I upset Chelsea in the quarters and Man U in the Semi's and will likely get trounced by Liverpool in the finals.

What I'm having issues with is identifying good players because I'm not sure what ratings are important for each position and that strange octagon thing I don't know how to determine how good they are really.

Also, the whole transfer thing. So I buy the right to talk to a player and they negociate a new contract with them? I've noticed that some of my players are offered transfers, and when I deny, because I like them on my team, they get all pissy...

Alright so I just got the game but I know very little about football. I've started a game as Tottenham, I seem to be doing alright. I'm sitting in 5th with a 12-6-6 record and in the League Cup I upset Chelsea in the quarters and Man U in the Semi's and will likely get trounced by Liverpool in the finals.

What I'm having issues with is identifying good players because I'm not sure what ratings are important for each position and that strange octagon thing I don't know how to determine how good they are really.

Also, the whole transfer thing. So I buy the right to talk to a player and they negociate a new contract with them? I've noticed that some of my players are offered transfers, and when I deny, because I like them on my team, they get all pissy...

- I usually buy players that I know, but since you said you know little about football, then I would rely on my staff to help me find players. Send your scouts around, and they'll come back with players they've found.

- Your players are probably being pissed as the team interested with them is a bigger club, just praise them if they put in a couple of good performances and try offer them a new contract, that usually stops other teams being interested. E.g. in my Arsenal game I have going, Madrid wanted Fran Merida as his contract was due to expire, I offered him a new contract and he accepted and Madrid were no longer interested.

Someone else will probably go into the whole thing in more detail, but hopefully that helps you anyway. :)

Alright, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of managing the team, but my tactics suck.

I'm running with a 4-4-2 formation, and when I'm the favourite I generally like to play an attacking style, when the underdog I try and go with a Counter style and a high defensive line.

My issue is that for the first... 15-20 games, this was working great. As Tottenham, I managed wins against Man U(3-1-0 against them if I include the league cup), Aston Villa, West Ham and Liverpool, but I now haven't won in 8 games(0-6-2), and I can't figure out what to do. I'm drawing against teams like Stoke... it's ridiculous how my scoring dried up and my D became so porus... help?

Alright, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of managing the team, but my tactics suck.

I'm running with a 4-4-2 formation, and when I'm the favourite I generally like to play an attacking style, when the underdog I try and go with a Counter style and a high defensive line.

My issue is that for the first... 15-20 games, this was working great. As Tottenham, I managed wins against Man U(3-1-0 against them if I include the league cup), Aston Villa, West Ham and Liverpool, but I now haven't won in 8 games(0-6-2), and I can't figure out what to do. I'm drawing against teams like Stoke... it's ridiculous how my scoring dried up and my D became so porus... help?

Are your players tired? Their performance won't be at their best if they are, which will affect it.

Also, check your scout reports before each match, it will give you an analysis of your opponent, and formation's they struggle against, so perhaps try using that formation for that game and see if it helps. :)

I've been using my subs effectively I thought, and I've been adjusting accordingly all season. I'm at the point where I'm trying to buy Michael Owen just because his finish is off the wall.

I wouldn't get Owen, mainly down to his natural fitness/age. You could probably find another younger striker who can do just as good, if not better than Owen. On my game I have going, he hasn't even started a league game for United, and that's after 22 games, and they're 4th in league.

Also, are your players still pissed that you wouldn't let them move clubs? If they are, that's probably another reason why they won't put in a good performance. IIRC transfer speculation usually does this, whether it's for your players, or opposition players.

4-1-2-1-2 narrow, created in the tactics creator. use standard and very rigid for whatever the hell the options are that ask you for these.............then watch the results. As Blackburn, making no signings, the only major team I have lost to is United home and away, done over chelsea, liverpool and arsenal at their grounds. BTW this is Chelseas tactic in the game, hence why they seem to win everything.

Weird thing in my Man City game, I've just had Bridge and Tevez express concern about a lack of dicipline at the club, though I've only had one red card all season (I'm in mid January) not a huge ammount of yellow cards and there's been no off the field issues.

Anywaym the game is going well enough. We couldn't keep a clean sheet against a poor under-11 Sunday league side, but we're doing fairly well in the league. Little inconsistent - an example being following up a 4-0 win over Pompey with a 3-1 loss to Sunderland and then we thrashed villa 5-1 away. At one point we only won one match in six, but we came out of that OK.

Finally gotten into a game.

I have an Arsenal game where I finished 4th in my first season, but won the League Cup and the Champions League (beat Milan twice in the groups, Barcelona in the Quarter Finals, Liverpool in the Semis and Man U in the final), story of my season was that i struggled against some of the lower teams and had some draws that should have been wins and losses that should have been draws.

Now in November in my second season, second in the league to Man U who have lost one game (to us) I have won every game but three, (draws versus Chelsea and WBA :( and an embarassing 4-2 loss to Everton), destroyed Tottenham in the league and Villa in the league cup, 10 points out of 12 points, while I have a tough set of fixtures coming up the major difference to last year is that I am winning the games that I would draw against the smaller temas this year, despite me having some injury problems (Fabregas, Arshavin, Eduardo, Denilson and Diaby are all injured at the moment, none too long term), and I have scored in the last 27 Premiership games I have contested, I was close to losing my job in the Februrary, but now everything has turned around and then I have the team the team playing really well and my defence has turned around nicely (Senderos has turned out really well) and some of the youngsters are really coming along, Wilshere has scored in 4/5 of the last games and Ramsey is starting to come good, exciting times :)

Weird thing in my Man City game, I've just had Bridge and Tevez express concern about a lack of dicipline at the club, though I've only had one red card all season (I'm in mid January) not a huge ammount of yellow cards and there's been no off the field issues.

I'm having that same problem with two of my save games. In my Juventus game it's Buffon and Amauri that have had that Slight Concern for over one and a half in game seasons now. I'm not even in the top ten in the Discipline table for cards, and check the Team Talk Feedback page and those two never take exception to my team talks either, so I've no idea what it is. It certainly can't be a complaint about the on-pitch results, since I won the league in my first and second season, without losing a single game in season two! It's also happening with Gomes and Corluka in my Spurs game. I just tend to click "Expect a Performance" on those players who have that problem, thinking it'll make it go away if I'm more disciplined and harsh on them, but it obviously hasn't worked.

Yay, for a new patch! I was going to do a journeyman game when it came out, but due to me enjoying playing as Arsenal, I'm starting a game up as them with the new patch now. Made some changes beforehand though such as Neil Warnock to Q.P.R. and Paul Hart to Palace, just to make it more realistic. :)

EDIT:

Just found a custom update made after the patch which added a few more changes, such as Donovan to Everton (don't know why this wasn't included in the patch) so I'm going to use this instead of the one with changes I made.

Edited by Sick N Twisted

Fucking work permit applications..... (grumble over)

I could accidentally win the league with city, I was 17 points off the top in mid December, but since the end of January Man Utd and Chelsea have decided to give up this winning lark, and I've hit a run of form. With four games left we all have 76 points. I have a worse goal difference than Chelsea, but a better one then United. Everton are still very much in it too, only 3 points behind us. I have to go to the Brittanica and Anfield tho :(

Won the league! Bad news is now my minimum expectation for the new season is to win again. That's right, the MINIMUM that's expected of me is to win the league again. Dunno who to sign, looking for a striker and an attacking midfielder, maybe another defender for cover. I had a £60M offer for Mario Gomez accepted only for him to say he won't leave Bayern. Curses.

Won the league! Bad news is now my minimum expectation for the new season is to win again. That's right, the MINIMUM that's expected of me is to win the league again. Dunno who to sign, looking for a striker and an attacking midfielder, maybe another defender for cover. I had a £60M offer for Mario Gomez accepted only for him to say he won't leave Bayern. Curses.

For strikers: Cardozo, Milevskyi or Gignac. All will cost at most 20 mil from my experience.

For defender: Otamendi (one for the future anyway) or Miranda from Sao Paulo.

Not sure about attacking midfielder. Maybe Riquelme? He always does a good job for me.

Edited by Sick N Twisted

For Attacking Midfielders, Alan Dzagoev and Sebastian Giovinco both do well in the Premiership in my experience. Picked up Giovinco for 14 million in my second season as Liverpool, while Dzagoev only cost 6.5 million. It takes him a season or two to develop though. I've always liked Matias Fernandez of Sporting too, and he'd be about 8-10 million. He always finishes near the top of the Assists and Player Rating charts in the Champions League in my games. As for your striker, if Edin Dzeko didn't go to Chelsea like he always seems to, he'd be a good buy, and I'd second the Milevskiy recommendation.

I think discipline means how you discipline your players when they get sent off/speak out to the media, not how many cards you get.

Yes, the discipline in this instance refers to the work ethic of the players and ability to follow instructions, not how many yellow/red cards you've received. Basically, there are no "leaders" and everyone is just doing what they like.