Oasis Split

Crybaby Bunting

Noel Gallagher says he has quit Oasis, claiming he could not go on working with brother Liam "a day longer".

Noel Gallagher has blamed his brother for the walk out

The announcement came just hours after the band cancelled their second gig in a week.

Noel said in a statement: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer.

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan."

The band were scheduled to perform at the Rock en Seine festival in Paris this evening.

But the crowd were told by Bloc Party, who were due to perform before Oasis, that the Manchester band would not be taking the stage.

Some fans thought it was a joke - until the big screens at either side of the stage displayed the message: "As a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled."

Ben Clover, 28, who travelled from south London for the festival, said: "There are a lot of British Oasis fans who have come over for this gig and they are very disappointed."

Last weekend Oasis pulled out of the V Festival in Chelmsford which they were meant to headline.

The band cancelled their show because front man Liam was struck down with viral laryngitis.

Their non-appearance sparked rumours they were set to split.

Earlier this month Liam revealed his turbulent relationship with his brother, Noel, had become so bad that they no longer speak, limiting their contact to exchanging insults on Twitter.

Last week Liam told the NME: "He doesn't like me and I don't like him, that's it.

"He hasn't told me what he thinks of anything this year. We've got nothing to say to each other at the moment."

Source: Sky.com

Sad news indeed :(

It was bound to happen, and they'll probably be back before long but... this does seem like a significant event regarding a band that defined the 90s

Edited by The General

Not all that disappointed by the news. Oasis have been one of my favourite bands since as far back as I remember, but I must acknowledge that they haven't done anything good (bar a few tracks here and there) for over a decade. I always considered Noel to be all that was good in Oasis anyway. I actually enjoyed his solo stuff more.

• Like 1

This makes me sad. Oasis is one of my favorite bands. It will be ok if they stay apart or if Noel comes back though. If Noel doesn't join back he will pursue a solo career and Liam will run Oasis with the other members and probably hire another guitarist like when Noel left in 2000. I would probably rather have them together rather than separate though. The record label situation will be interesting considering Oasis' label is Big Brother Recordings which is run by Noel.

Lol.

... really? That's it? Nothing more to contribute, nothing more constructive to say, nothing at all?

I mean it's not like we're asking you to write a thesis on this or anything, it's just that the rule is you should make a post with a little more meat than just "Lol."

First & final there mate. I won't warn you for it now, but let's make sure that our future replies have a little bit more substance, alright?

The excuse Noel has given is that his mother would kill him. As big of a fan I am I don't really know the answer. Noel is the one having a bad time with the band so he probably feels he should be the one to leave. Liam has quit before too, but for very short periods. Liam seems to piss off Noel so that causes Noel to leave.

The excuse Noel has given is that his mother would kill him. As big of a fan I am I don't really know the answer. Noel is the one having a bad time with the band so he probably feels he should be the one to leave. Liam has quit before too, but for very short periods. Liam seems to piss off Noel so that causes Noel to leave.

I think mommy is the reason why they've stuck together for so long too. I remember hearing that pretty much anytime Noel left, mom would take him into going back. Let's see if she sways him again.

Not surprised.

But defined the 90s?

In the UK, yeah. Britpop was the defining musical movement in the UK throughout the nineties, and somehow Oasis were the flagbearers. They're fucking dreadful, and I won't miss them, but I can't deny that they were inexplicably popular.

• Like 2

I knew they were popular for a few songs here Stateside, but I never knew they were very large in the UK.

Guess I underestimated their relevance. I don't think they're dreadful, the little I have heard from them has been pleasant. Although none of it is catchy enough for my tastes.

Scottish singer Amy MacDonald, who also played the event, claimed via Twitter the band "cancelled again with one minute to stage time!!! Liam smashed Noel's guitar, huuuge fight!"

Damn if this is true then they might actually be done. Hopefully it wasn't Noel's ES-335. That guitar rules!

By the sounds of what I've read everywhere it's Noel who's leaving the band, not that they're splitting up altogether. But yeah, I know quite a few people who'll be totally gutted about this whereas I couldn't really give a crap. Sure, they made some good stuff back in the day, but I'm surprised their egos could fit on the one stage together for so long and they haven't really done anything decent in a long time. Unfortunately now it means I'll be hearing more whinging from that tit Liam.